Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Our teeny kitty doesn't have kidney disease, she is just very old and very tiny. For the last couple of years, I have been feeding her special to try and keep her weight up. I have to do the pate' wet foods also because she is a gravy licker but won't touch the chunks. The only thing I didn't see mentioned was a high calorie paste from the pet store. We get it in the aisle with the kitten formula at our local PetCo (but I have seen it in other pet stores). It comes in a toothpaste tube looking package and just says something like "High calorie supplement". We put in on top of her canned food and mix it in. She is still holding around the 5 lb. mark, so it certainly isn't hurting.
I know this is an old post, but I want to say that the high calorie "tooth paste" in this post is probably Nutrical. I order it off amazon or chewy, as they charge $14 a tube at my vet's office. My kidney disease kitty LOVES it. It doesn't work for me to add it to cat food to get her to eat more, she likes it straight from the tube (I do it after every meal to supplement.)

https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-nut...SABEgL2vfD_BwE

I also give her sub-q fluids daily. We have been doing this for over a year, although the vet gave her 6 months to live when she was first diagnosed. I do buy the fluid bags from the vet for $14 a pop although Chewy has them cheaper, because at least the vet's office gives me free lines and needles which chewy doesn't even sell that I know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 887 times
My cat has chronic renal failure
She is losing weight even though she eats all the time. Could she also have hyperthyroidism? She is taking epakitin and azodyl for the crf. She also gets 100 water twice a week in sub q fluids. My vet is reluctant to put her on thyroid medicine since that didn't show up in the bloodwork and says it could work against the crf. But she isn't losing weight due to lack of appetite from crf because she eats all the time. I've read that the crf can hide hyperthyroidism. I don't want to just watch her waste away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats