Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,018 times

Advertisements

I have a boy cat not fix who is a Siam. I am not upset but concerned. he has bit off the part of the adaptor that goes into my cell phone to charge it and has chewed the phone wires of my land lines.

could this be because he is not fixed and a bit wild, or his bread or just that he is a brat? I still love him but I have to figure out ways to hide all wires I do not want him to get hurt or ruin more wires in my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
For years I resorted to encasing wires in various types of products made for that purpose because my cat was so interested in chewing them, and she is a spayed female.

That said, he really should be neutered unless he is registered and to be breeding or something. Sounds like he's just a house pet though, so getting him neutered will result in some calmer behavior generally.

Other than that, more interactive play with him will possibly distract his attention from the wires, at least while you're home. Having a routine of play every day at same time can apparently be helpful. (I can't say I know this firsthand because I was never particularly good at it, but I hear it over and over.)

Also, there may be some chew-related toys now for cats. Make sure they are for cats! Back years ago when I looked for such things, they did not exist, and chew-related toys for dogs don't seem very helpful. If you're lucky there are toys that will be more attractive than the wires.

Perhaps that will give you a few things to start; I think we'll get more replies.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM

18,116 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Ditto on getting your cat neutered. This is very important!!

My cat went through a fairly long phase where she wanted to chew on things. Started as a kitten. I gave her my dog's large rawhide bone to see if she'd take an interest in it. She did for just a minute. Then she discovered it was actually more fun to chew on the dog (her leg). Kitten was 2 lbs, dog was 60 lbs. Kitten ruled! LOL.

You have to remove items that your cat will chew and put them in another room and close the door! And make sure you have lots of toys and activities for your cat to do and interactive as well. Plus lots of attention and play from you.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 PM

he is almost 3 is that to old to be fixed ?

He gets a toy every friday this cat is spoiled lol and I spend between 1-2 hours a day playing with him . there are a few days its less. let me know if he is still at a good age to get neutered .

Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
No, three years old is not too old to be fixed. Please do it as soon as you can. It may solve the chewing problem and it should be done anyway.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times
First...get him NEUTERED.
Second...our two cord chewers slowed down a lot around age 3. We still hide all thin cords. The thin cords seem to be the most desired.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
I put all my cords in some ribbed tubing I bought at the hardware store - very tough plastic but flexible. Then I sprayed the tubs and the ends sticking out with some bitter spray I bought at PetCo designed to taste bad to cats. No trouble since then.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM

okay i will get him neutered. he is a in door cat so he has not been fruitful ad multiplying .lol

he is very wild and hyper. I dont mind just the chewing is annoying because i need to buy a new cordless phone set and a adaptor for my cell. I just bought that cordless 2 years ago and was in purrfect condition..... i donot yell at him or hit him I dont get mad either but, It get costly and i do not want him getting electricuted either or chokeing

Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 PM

another thing i cant leave a glass of alchol out he will drink it. has gotten drunk. i dont know how to down load a foto of him but i have a few drinking cocktails out of cocktail and wine glasses. lol

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
okay i will get him neutered. he is a in door cat so he has not been fruitful ad multiplying .lol

he is very wild and hyper. I dont mind just the chewing is annoying because i need to buy a new cordless phone set and a adaptor for my cell. I just bought that cordless 2 years ago and was in purrfect condition..... i donot yell at him or hit him I dont get mad either but, It get costly and i do not want him getting electricuted either or chokeing
He is wild and hyper because he is un-neutered. Cats have a biological need to mate, to procreate. It is not the same as what a human feels, but he is a very frustrated cat. Not to mention he will eventually begin to spray all over your house.

Following the advice about covering wires, and play with him daily, that will keep him from the dangerous chewing of wires. He sounds bored. When you see him going for wires, distract him by playing a game with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
another thing i cant leave a glass of alchol out he will drink it. has gotten drunk. i dont know how to down load a foto of him but i have a few drinking cocktails out of cocktail and wine glasses. lol
Keep your alcoholic beverages out of his reach. Alcohol is poison to cats, you are risking his health and life, allowing him such access. Use a beverage container with a lid, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats