Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times

Advertisements

I don't like to ask anything of anyone, but I'd like some good thoughts coming my way for my cat Patches.

Long story try to make short, she wouldn't eat Wed. night or Thurs. morning, and she's diabetic and recently diagnosed hyperthyroid. Both were under control and numbers were good as the previous week I had blood work done. I dropped her off at my vet Thurs. morning, they did full panel blood work (glucose was a little off but normal because of the diabetes), they have been giving her fluids as she's still not eating. They did an xray yesterday, says she's full of poop. They were hoping she would poop once the fluids got in her, and they also gave her a couple pills to help, but it hasn't helped as of yet. They're deciding what to do this morning.

Anyway, this morning at 8 they called me and said the dr. wants me to come in because she's going into respiratory failure. And me, I can't handle anything anymore, and just start crying the whole way there, because I know she will not make it. She's 18yrs old too. I walk in, and the girl tells me she's doing fine now, which makes me even cry worse because now I'm relieved. They're not really sure what happened. Said she went in the litter box, fell head first into the litter and onto her side. Her gums turned white and she turned cold and stiff. They gave her some oxygen, then she just turned around and came back. Don't know if she had a seizure, a stroke, or was just so stressed. I know my poor girl is stressed just by being there, but there's nothing I can do for her at home until they figure out what is wrong with her.

Anyway...I thought maybe something bad was wrong initially when I brought her in, then they tell me she is full of poop so I'm somewhat relieved, and I thought maybe once she gets it out she would be back to normal, then this happens this morning. I can never get so lucky. And I know at her age I probably won't be hearing good news, but I can keep hoping. If everyone else here hopes the same, maybe, just maybe I might have my Patches home again. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
What a roller coaster! Sending lots of positive thoughts for your poor girl, and virtual hugs to you.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Hopefully Patches will start feeling better and come home where she belongs. Sending you both a giant <<<hug>>> too. Please keep us posted...

Old 06-09-2012, 08:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Here's hoping Patches will be better soon. Hang in there.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone!

She's been stable since her episode this morning, so they let me bring her home to see if she does any better here. They never did get her to eat there, they force fed her but she'd spit it out, so they had her on fluids. And no poop yet.

When I got her home just a bit ago, I immediately gave her her hard food, that was a no go. Then I gave her some soft food, and she ate a little. Encouraging, as before she wanted nothing to do with any food. They also sent me home with Lactulose to try and help her go. If this doesn't help her, my next step will to bring her back Monday morning and let them give her an enema. They didn't want to go that route or anything else invasive right now because of what happened this morning.

I'm always at a loss as to how far to go. My husband doesn't help as we've been through a lot of losses, and he always feels I go too far and then the results are always the same, euthanasia. My thing is I need to know why, before I make that final decision. And what I mean in why is if they can't figure out what is wrong. Today he told me the same thing, he would put her to sleep because we'll be doing all this stuff to Patches and it won't help at all except make her uncomfortable. I didn't tell him but I was going to agree with him but wanted the drs. personal opinion. She said to give her a chance, even at her age. When she said that, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. My husband knows in the end I'll do what I want for our cats and dogs, he just gives up easier. I can only hope this Lactulose works today or tomorrow, and if not the enema gets her cleaned out and back to normal. If not, I'm pretty sure I will not go with anything further, but I'll try not to think about that until that time comes. Fingers, toes, and paws crossed everyone. Thanks again!!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
well we say prayers every night at dinner for our pets and those who have gone to be with God, we will pray Patches is on the road to recovery. I know you may not want to think of this, but you obviously are thinking, there is only so much you can do. SHe is a little old lady, I am sure she has had a wonderful life since you are her caring mother, but we can't keep our 4 legged girls forever, anymore than we can go on for ever. Good luck and keep us posted. Our prayers for Patches will be said tonight, I promise.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM

157 posts, read 587,499 times
yes certainly have my fingers and toes crossed for your baby.....how much lactulose did the Vet recommend? be sure to follow it up with water....eg.if giving 1.5mls follow with 3mls of water this is very important and most Vets fail to recommend this. lactulose is a stool softner not a laxative....another product is Miralax(laxative), but wouldn't want to use it continuously, I do give it to one of mine on occasion(on the Vets advice). 1/4tsp. mixed with water.
good luck dear.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks for that advice patricats. It is 1 1/2 ml., and they didn't say anything about water but will follow up with that. I know she'll fight me on it, hope I can get most of it down her instead of on her. She's a fighter when it comes to giving medicine.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
I hope your kitty recovers. Quick prayers her way......

You may want look at her diet. Has she been eating dry kibble as a basic diet? Can you switch her to canned? If she's that blocked she may need the enema to get the blockage out so she can eat. I am really surprised they let her go home still blocked. She needs to eat and cannot if she can't pass her stool.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:45 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Keeping my fingers crossed for Patches to poop and get better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats