Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM

97 posts, read 151,948 times

Advertisements

would like to know if there is anybody out there that has actually experienced cat allergies say to indoor/outdoor cats if so what could some symptoms and time frame be i have read some dialogue on it--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM

254 posts, read 548,244 times
We got two cats from the animal shelter and my nose was going crazy for a few days. I think maybe 3-4, but after that it subsided.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times
A hypoallergenic cat is a cat which is less likely to provoke an allergic reaction in humans. Although the topic is controversial, with many studies showing statistically significant results,[12] owners' experience and recent clinical studies suggest that Siberian cats, Russian Blue cats, Devon Rex and Cornish Rex cats, Abyssinian cats, and several other breeds, especially females are likely to have low levels of Fel d 1, the main allergenic protein.[13]

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

254 posts, read 548,244 times
Forgot to mention the fear of the dreaded Toxoplasmosis

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
That's a parasitic infection, not an allergy.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I'm allergic to cats and dogs (not as much), and I have both . As someone mentioned above, the cats each bothered me a little when they first moved in, and then it faded away. I volunteer at a shelter, but do much more with the dogs due to my cat allergy. Having ten or so cats in one room, no matter how clean it's kept, is a little much for me. After a half hour at most, my nose itches, I get stuffy and may sneeze. And if I've touched my eyes, they may itch. I have noticed I'm more allergic to Siamese cats than to other breeds or mixes, but this is particular to me. It wouldn't be true for everyone.
How quickly the reaction comes would depend on the concentration of dander,and how allergic the person is.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
I've always had allergies, cats included. I had a cat as a child. I got shots for all my allergies until I was in college. Then I got too busy with college life and forgot to get my shots.

Decades later, most of my allergies have disappeared. I've had as many as 8 cats at one time! I do believe they can subside with time. This is especially true with children.

Pets May Protect Children From Allergies

Unless allergies are crippling, the benefits of having a pet in your life tend to outweigh the bad!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
It took me over a year to show allergy symptoms to our family cat as a child. We were one of those awful families that rehomed a cat because of allergies. (In my mother's defense, she continued to take full financial responsibility for the kenneled cat until a suitable new owner was found.). I still cannot be in the same room with a cat for more than 30,minutes or so without my eyes turning red and my nose running like a faucet. Then my stomach fills with mucus and my gastrointestinal symptoms flare. And there's no sleeping for me or anyone else in the household because I cough all night. This has happened whenever I've been indoors with a cat for the last 35 years, and I'm too much of a wimp to deal, so I limit my interactions with felines to the great outdoors, and I wash my hands immediately after petting cats.

I hope you are one of the people whose allergies abate as you age, or better yet, that you find you're not allergic at all. If you have continuing allergy symptoms, I hope you can find an allergist who is willing to give cat allergy shots. (Maybe if you tell them you already have a cat they'll be more likely to cooperate. The ones I'very seen have told me I just need to avoid exposure.)

Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
Indoor/outdoor animals bring in pollen on their fur so if you have any allergies to pollen you may be getting a reaction from that rather than the animal. The fastest and easiest way to find out is to be allergy tested to animal dander.
I read an interesting tidbit that probably doesn't apply today but in homes with very young children that had animals that roamed or least spent time outside, those children had significantly less allergies than children that grew up in a house without pets.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
That's not an allergen. It's also an unlikely problem with indoor-only cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats