Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times

Advertisements

I think people are still superstitous about black cats. I'm not, I have a beautful black kitty I got from a rescue and she is now 11 years old. My best friend that lives in New York City took in a black 9/11 kitten and when we look at pictures of our cats we have trouble telling them apart even though both have a very small white mark on their chest. Too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Update: the vet was able to give him the enema after all, so he should be okay. But I have to switch him to a high fiber diet as he said colon clogging is an common issue with cats.

My poor old man is back home and being crabby, but understandably so, as I would be crabby too if someone had to give me an enema!
And sadly, these problems are becoming more common with the feeding of dry kibble.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I have put Kitty Katty on strictly canned food for weight loss and the vet told me to give him this diabetic dry food which he will not even touch. I am just doing what I was doing with the wet food.

For the past couple of days, he has not been very excited about eating much. Yesterday he did not come out of my room for most of the day and he did miss a meal...

The day before he acted like he was starving and today I think he is not really excited about eating either....

Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Update: the vet was able to give him the enema after all, so he should be okay. But I have to switch him to a high fiber diet as he said colon clogging is an common issue with cats.

My poor old man is back home and being crabby, but understandably so, as I would be crabby too if someone had to give me an enema!
Quote:
He just need Jinx needs more fiber in his diet, that colon clogging is a common thing with older cats.

No no no no! High-Fiber food will make his problem WORSE. Cats do not need that kind of fiber! Cats are obligate carnivores! They need wet food and meat protein.

Put Jinx on an all canned, grain free and fruit and vegetable free (and low carb) canned or raw diet. Add a little water to his food to get even more moisture into him.

Canned pumpkin, as already mentioned, is a safe fiber to give him. The dose is one tablespoon a day, split between two or three meals. I have one cat who needs canned pumpkin daily, even on the diet I mentioned above. Probably from years of eating some kibble junk before I rescued her. If you want more information I will be happy to share the process with you.

Please, please do not put Jinx on some "high fiber" dry diet. This will be the absolute worse thing you could do. Those high fiber diets may seem to work at first but ultimately they cause abnormally large stools, which eventually will cause your cat to have a megacolon. There is no cure for megacolon but surgery or a life time of laxatives and motility drugs. I have been through that, also, with a clueless vet.

Here are some good sites to help you understand why Jinx needs to be on a wet, low fiber diet.:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Feline Constipation Home Page

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-17-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
No no no no! High-Fiber food will make his problem WORSE. Cats do not need that kind of fiber! Cats are obligate carnivores! They need wet food and meat protein.

Put Jinx on an all canned, grain free and fruit and vegetable free (and low carb) canned or raw diet. Add a little water to his food to get even more moisture into him.

Canned pumpkin, as already mentioned, is a safe fiber to give him. The dose is one tablespoon a day, split between two or three meals. I have one cat who needs canned pumpkin daily, even on the diet I mentioned above. Probably from years of eating some kibble junk before I rescued her. If you want more information I will be happy to share the process with you.

Please, please do not put Jinx on some "high fiber" dry diet. This will be the absolute worse thing you could do. Those high fiber diets may seem to work at first but ultimately they cause abnormally large stools, which eventually will cause your cat to have a megacolon. There is no cure for megacolon but surgery or a life time of laxatives and motility drugs. I have been through that, also, with a clueless vet.

Here are some good sites to help you understand why Jinx needs to be on a wet, low fiber diet.:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Feline Constipation Home Page
This.

Sadly, most vets only get one class on nutrition, (usually sponsored by Hills...surprise), and while they are really good at just about everything else, when it comes to nutrition, they fall short. Cats do NOT need this kind of fiber...as the poster said above. Cats are carnivores.

So many problems people have with their cats could be avoided altogether with a proper diet...which is NOT dried food/kibble.

Raw is the best but if you don't want to do that, at the very least, get your cats OFF of kibble.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Thanks for the tips. Ironically the vet said his brand WD in dry was the best for cats.

I generally give Jinx a big can of wet food in the morning and then dry at night. However I will switch his night feeding to wet food.

Any recommendations on pumpkin brands or foods other than cutting up pumpkins myself? Plus I want him to gain some weight as he was only 9 lbs.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Pumpkin puree in cans is perfectly good quality, no need to cut it up yourself, a lot of prep work for no real gain. What you want is pumpkin puree aka 100% pumpkin or whatever other description might be on the can (NOT pie filling that has spices in it). Should not be hard to find, especially at this time of year! But it is available all the time, might be in the baking aisle of supermarkets most of the time. Brand is generally irrelevant, you'll see it in name brands and store brands too. Just make sure the only ingredient is pumpkin. If it has country of origin on there you might want to check that. Would be surprised if any pumpkin were imported, but you never know until you check I guess.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
I use the Farmer's Market Brand because their cans are not lined with BPA. It cost more than Libby's, but I can afford the $2.98 a month As mentioned make sure you get pure pumpkin, not pie filling.

What I do: I measure out 1 tablespoon servings into ice cube trays. Put the trays in the freezer until the pumpkin is frozen (a couple hours). Take the pumpkin out of the ice cube trays and put the premeasured now frozen portions into a freezer bag.

Each night I take out one portion (put it into a small food container) and keep it in the refrigerator for use the next day. I give half the portion with her morning meal and the other half with her evening meal.

Note: not all cats take to pumpkin right away. You may have to start with very small amounts until Jinx gets used to the taste.

Yes, I am not surprised the vet prescribed WD. It is a WEIGHT CONTROL low fat food loaded with corn and other inappropriate junk. Here are the ingredients:

(you'll note that the first four ingredients are pure filler. Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by product meal and cellulose. Cellulose is SAWDUST. That's your "high fiber"

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

w/d® Feline Low Fat-Diabetic-Gastrointestinal with Chicken - Dry

Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I use the Farmer's Market Brand because their cans are not lined with BPA. It cost more than Libby's, but I can afford the $2.98 a month As mentioned make sure you get pure pumpkin, not pie filling.

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

w/d® Feline Low Fat-Diabetic-Gastrointestinal with Chicken - Dry
I have to give you credit for being one of the most knowledgable cat person and best researcher here. I have learned a lot from your posts.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Yeah I get leery when anyone tries to push anything on me without doing due diligence. And yes he gave Jinx the enema while he was awake!! Had I known he should have been sedated, I would have gone there and flipped out.

Jinx is doing better, my main issue is trying to give him the liquid antibiotics out of a syringe. This morning he took it but kept licking and ended up looking like a frothy, drooling, rabid cat. There has to be a better way. I debated mixing it with his food or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats