Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I was saving a small container with a lose lid for green beans later this week. I forgot to wrangle the cats last night and discovered the empty container on the kitchen floor this morning. Anything I should look for besides very lose stools? Any real danger? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM

Oscar has runny barf-just once and seems to be OK. Certainly not in distress. I'll lock them up in the large bathroom while I'm out this morning but I'm still worried.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Other than vomit and diarrhea I don't think anything else too major would happen. I would probably call the vet just to make double sure there would not be any gastric distress looming in the future (gas, bloating, twisting of intestines, etc.) Peace of mind is priceless - and I wouldn't want those babies feeling sick all day. Good luck and let us know that everything is OK. Don't beat yourself up - stuff happens!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Thanks, I just spoke to vet. She said not much I can do but watch them. Persistent vomiting could mean pancreatitis-ouch-I've had that. terribly painful. But so far I've only found one place where Oscar barfed. Langley is mellow and asleep. I do feel bad cause I usually keep them with me overnight but got lazy last night. Keeping my fingers crossed.

*Now what will I fix my fresh green beans with? a little humor helps to diffuse the tension I'm dealing with.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
*Now what will I fix my fresh green beans with? a little humor helps to diffuse the tension I'm dealing with.
Cook more bacon! A perfect excuse, although who needs an excuse?

Actually, if you want a different option, this is pretty darned good. REAL parmesan (parmigiano reggiano, the actual real stuff from Italy) is a must though I would say. At very least certainly not powdered stuff from a shelf-stable can. Funny I just bought two big blocks of reggiano from Costco. I try to always have it around, but we've been out for a few weeks or so.

Roasted Parmesan Green Beans | Skinnytaste

You bake these and it comes out really good! Best beans ever. I would do this and skip the bacon. The bacon craze for me is actually a joke; I don't usually even make bacon at home.

And of course I hope your kitties are okay. I'm guessing they'll be fine though. Although pork fat is not typically used in cat foods, it's only because WE use it so much. Poultry-based fat is often used in cat products. I would think the only issue could be that since they don't usually have pork it could be a bit of digestive upset as you said, vomiting and loose stools, etc. Betting they'll be just fine.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Also betting nobody will have furball issues for a while.

Hope everybody winds up fine, I think they probably will.

About your green beans, I like to cook mine up with diced white potatoes in nothing but a can of beef broth. You can get low fat/sodium broth that still gives a great flavor to the beans and potatoes all by itself.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Try something healthier than bacon grease which is loaded with carcinogenic preservatives and salt. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season to taste with a punch of garlic, salt and pepper.

Even a little butter would be healthier than bacon grease.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also betting nobody will have furball issues for a while.

Hope everybody winds up fine, I think they probably will.

About your green beans, I like to cook mine up with diced white potatoes in nothing but a can of beef broth. You can get low fat/sodium broth that still gives a great flavor to the beans and potatoes all by itself.
Low salt/low fat chicken broth also works well. Almost all chain grocery stores sell it. It also works well with rice (brown rice is healthier than white rice).

All our cats are doing well down here in FL. They get to go outside in the Screen Room almost every day. They love watching the goings-on here in the snow-bird Resort.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Happy to report the two cats are doing fine. A bit more activity in the litter boxes and one more barf but nobody got really sick like I feared. Still I won't be leaving the little darlings free to roam around the whole house at night anymore and if i ever save bacon drippings again I will make sure they are secure and out of reach of any animal friends.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 23,390 times
Glad kitties are OK...but what did u end up doing about the green beans Lol I'm curious now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats