Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you allow your cat/cats in the bedroom at night?
Yes 86 96.63%
No 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how many people sleep with their kitties at night.

Or how many have cats that aren't allowed in at night for various reasons (attacking the moving toes etc...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I still allow my cat in - although I have to think better of it at times

Very aggressive in getting pet ...... would be fine if he would just lay on my side - which he does on occasion which is why I haven't completely tossed him out

although, even if my hands are under the covers he tries to search them out and rub his head into them - then I get the wet nose across the face - then when I brush him back he walks over me and bugs my wife for a bit, until she is sick of it and then he walks back to bug me (this time usually trying to take the pass over my head)

eventually I can position him in a non-obtrusive way and try to hold/pet him there ...... but he keeps encroaching - slide one paw up, then slide the head up ..... next thing I know he has half his body laying across me

he needs to take lessons from my dog - despite being 65lbs, she can snuggle in pretty much any spot without really being noticed or felt ........ with the only exception being when I'm in an office chair sitting upright and my dog thinks that is the good time to come up and sit on my lap

Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
It sounds like your kitty may be bored and lonely. Is someone home with him during the day? In my own experience I find "only cats" are more apt to resort to this type of behavior at night. When there are two or more they will not seek so much attention from their humans during the night. They're more apt to sleep somewhere other than the bedroom or sleep quietly on the bed.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Amber is allowed in now. She's really totally in control anyway and won't stay or really bother us at all. She basically leaves once we're asleep, but she likes a bit of snuggle time before that. Chasing the toes pretty much doesn't happen at 15; if I move my feet too much she just jumps down and leaves, annoyed.

For many years she was not let in the bedroom at all. This was an allergy precaution for me. Generally she was fine and had been well-adjusted after all those years to not scratch at the door or such most of the time. But a couple years ago we started having more of a problem with that. This is mainly a problem for me as I can't sleep through it. So at one point we just started leaving the door open in the evening and through the night. She mostly does as above, will come in when we head to the bed (generally both need to be there, at least if we're both home, otherwise she won't come in!) and will leave once we are asleep, or really once I go to sleep most of the time, as I'm the one who is usually up later. If up reading or whatever she'll hang out for a while. If she's been gone for a bit, I usually find her curled up in one of her favorite spots in the living room, so she's just really not that interested in sleeping in the bedroom.

The bedroom is still off limits the rest of the time, like during the day while we're not home.

Allowing her in hasn't affected my allergies that I can tell. I am in theory not actually allergic to cats but am allergic to dust mites which live on the cat.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
At least one of them sleeps with me. Usually two, and occasionally, all four.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
They wouldn't be much of a family member if they weren't.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,340 times
No - our cats aren't allowed in our bedroom (only while sleeping - the rest of the time we leave the door open so the two of them can go in and out as they please) for a couple reasons.

- I am the lightest sleeper on Earth. I can hear a mouse pass gas outside (well, not really). I can hear everything they do so I would never be able to get good sleep.

- I was severely allergic to cats until we adopted our two boys when they were tiny kittens. I suppose I grew somewhat immune to their dander, but if I rub my face in their fur too long, sneezes will come my way. So they have a habit of laying directly on my pillow at times, and I sneeze when I put my head down. So, when we leave the room door open during the day, I have a blanket or a towel covering my pillow so that they may relax.

They have their own little play area and they are free to sleep on our big fluffy couch and recliners at night, and roam the house as they please. I just can't sleep with them at night.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
It's more like, am I allowed on Sophie's bed? That is her territory, after all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It sounds like your kitty may be bored and lonely. Is someone home with him during the day? In my own experience I find "only cats" are more apt to resort to this type of behavior at night. When there are two or more they will not seek so much attention from their humans during the night. They're more apt to sleep somewhere other than the bedroom or sleep quietly on the bed.
I'm sure that's part of it ...... part of it's personality as well

Our cat has a lot of "dog" tendencies and our dog has a lot of "cat" tendencies

Ever since we brought him home he was like that - he would pretty much just go between us ..... at night when we are home (or weekends) he's more than happy to perch on his tower - he'll get some attention/affection while we are sitting on the couch as well ...... our 2 year old is starting to take an interest and play more (under great supervision of course) and we'll still break out some toys to get the cat to run & play ....... although her attention for such things isn't all that great and she'll typically just go off and do his own thing

however, the minute we lay down , he goes into overdrive .... maybe because it's the most quiet, less hectic and most captive we are during the day

Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Yes. we have two cats and both of them sleep with us.
We wouldn't have it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats