Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

I agree with the advice from mawipa.
Also, a 6 month old male is now old enough to be neutered. (and she spayed) That may help calm him down some.
And like mawipa said, provide him plenty of entertaining toys to burn some of that energy.
All of our pets are spayed or neutered, and happier for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
To separate two kittens solely to let the male run free outside is not a good idea ... a terrible idea in fact. Becoming separated, well, they might eventually get used to being all alone. HOWEVER, the dangers of allowing a 6-month old kitten to run as fast as he can, chase birds, etc. etc. is so irresponsible for so many reasons I cannot even begin to list them -- sorry to be blunt.

Surely "a cat who wants to explore as a cat should do" should be allowed to, but this can happen safely indoors if cats are given lots of indoor things to explore (toys, cat trees, window perches, etc.). Indoor cats are not imprisoned.

Yes, there are forum members who subscribe to indoor/outdoor living philosophies, but there are many who are not believers that this is fair or safe for a cat. Cars, dogs, diseases - a long list for why it's not fair nor safe.

Lastly, since when is it a great idea to encourage cats to chase birds? Simply google for the statistics concerning the decline of song bird populations because of outdoor cats.
^^ This. In addition letting a kitten out at 6 months that has been an indoor cat is asking for trouble. The cat will have no idea of the dangers outside. Generally outdoor cats have a shorter lifespan and suffer more injuries and diseases. As others have said nuetering will help calm him down.

I have to agree separating them just so the male can go outside is a horrible idea.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosynoone View Post
Please can anyone give me sound advise on my concern about separating 2 kittens 6 months old, one male one female, they are very close and always playing together but the problem is that the tom is always looking for a way to get out! I live in a apartment so their indoor cats. But I find it hard and sad to see a cat who wants to explore as a cat should do. So my friend who has a garden and loves animals will take him for me. but I am worrying if the sibling will miss each other and I will feel so guilty of separating them even though I know its not fair to imprison a cat who longs to explore the outdoors, chase birds, run as fast as he can etc etc...Rose
As has already been said, both cats should be spayed & neutered. It will calm them down hormone-wise, and they will live longer, healthier lives. Please do that before doing any separating/re-homing.
Also, you need to get past the idea that indoor cats are unhappy because they can't go outside. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are not mistreating or abusing a cat by keeping it indoors. As already suggested, with proper cat furniture & toys, along with plenty of play sessions, your cats will be happy, content, & wonderful indoor pets.
It doesn't really matter what kind of outside environment you have around your home. Letting a 6-month old out, that's never been exposed to the outside is extremely risky. He just never had the chance to learn any skills needed to survive. There's a very good chance it would end very badly for him, so please don't do it.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:39 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I feel for you Martha!! I may get some backlash here from others but personally I think it would be hard on these kitties to go separately to a home without any other cats...especially if it is a home where people are not home during the day. Could you imagine being in a big family and then all of a sudden you are brought into a new environment with no one :-( HOWEVER since they are fairly young I think they would adjust apart as long as there are other cats in the home OR with some very special person that can give the cat a lot of attention. So if I were you I would totally try to post them separately however have some conditions that either they have other cats OR they are retired, stay at home Mom, etc.

I was also wondering if you allow your rescues to be returned if it didn't work out. When I fostered for a rescue group they would let (actually preferred) for adopted pets to be returned to them if things weren't working out (didn't bond, issues with other pets in the home etc.). This might be more of an incentive for people to take that chance whether it be by taking both or just taking one. I know a lot of people think 2 are more work than 1 however once they see the two together they will realize how great it is having 2 bonded cats together.

Just a FYI - When I took in my 5 ferals cats I intially considered having some of them adopted especially due to the fact I was allergic my whole life (thankfully that is getting so much better now). However even when my daughter was thinking of taking one I couldn't do it knowing that that one that had already been part of a large feral family was now going to be alone. I look at my 5 guys today and I see such a strong bond (and they aren't even one yet)...a bond that I don't think any person even me could replace. But then again I hear that animals are far better than us humans at adapting so maybe it's just me that has a problem :-)

And I just have to say that you have one of the toughest jobs in my eyes. After fostering one puppy I couldn't do it again! I was such a wreck when she was adopted. I even asked the lady if we could be facebook friends just so I could make sure she was doing good....and THANKFULLY she did go to a great home and I've enjoyed seeing her grow up via facebook :-)

Wishing you and these kitties the best!
What a beautiful, kind, heartfelt note which I didn't even respond to or see! Thank you so much. We have kept all of the cats (this being Oct 2014) due to a calici virus that spread to the entire household of cats and we didn't feel able to adopt them out, and now they are a bonded colony and I am very reluctant to adopt any out. I may one day, but not alone. Thank you so much!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
But what about the received knowledge that cats live "in the now" as being a distinctly feline attribute? That the feline mentality is uniquely adaptable in any given situation? I guess I think a cat might miss a sib for a day or two, but after that, would be in the "Me, Myself & I" position.

I think perhaps the kind of thinking that a cat must stay with his sibling is more on the human side of the equation.

Just wanting to discuss it, NRaleigh Mom; and I mention it in a kindly fashion.
Yes, I have often heard that but don't believe it. Why? Because our Mr. Homeless died 3 months (we found him under the table) after his beloved bed-mate and best friend, Mr. Cat passed away from cancer. I think he couldn't take it. I think that they "do" remember feelings, maybe not as we do, but more than they say.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think it would be sad to separate two cats or dogs or even dog and cat who have lived their entire lives together. Yet the reality is that not everybody can or is willing to take more than 1 pet. And we have all heard stories of cats and dogs grieving themselves sick over the loss of a companion, animal or human. I've heard that "living in now" about both dogs and cats and I don't understand that at all. Why do dogs show such joy when reunited with long lost people, why do they search endlessly for home and why do they grieve at the death of a companion?

For what it's worth I am always advocating for people to adopt Bonded Pair of cats especially because I think it is more common to have 2 cats rather than 2 dogs and they are given up together. I know I would never separate my 11 year old kitties. I could not live with the guilt. But kittens???I don't know. I guess it would be worth a try if it means having forever homes.
We have kept all 11 of our cats and would never separate the bonded pairs or tiads now!! We hope to keep them all for as long as we can, hopefully for good.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Martha, I am so glad that you updated us on this happy ending! :-)

Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I adopted my two cats Renly and Patrick as a bonded pair. They aren't actually related but they were rescued about the same time and the rescue people evidently discovered they got along well with each other. When I was offered the opportunity to adopt them it was framed as a two-kitty deal. I didn't even think about whether I just wanted one of them, it honestly never even crossed my mind. They got along so well with each other when I visited with them. At the shelter I volunteer at, there are several bonded pairs and they are very literally double or nothing. Once a pair is determined to be bonded, there's no negotiating - you adopt both or you adopt neither. They've never had a problem adopting them out.

So I guess my general 0.02 is that yes, people do adopt two cats at a time. It actually gives me more peace of mind knowing that when I'm gone they have each other rather than being lonely and by themselves all the time.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
I think they do remember, and a lot more than people give them credit for. When I was a kid, I moved across country and had to leave my cat with other family members for 4 years.
When they had planned a visit, I told them to bring my cat. They said he would not remember me.
He sure did, the second he saw me he jumped in my lap and was inseperable until they had to take him back with them.
They have amazing memories.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I think they do remember, and a lot more than people give them credit for. When I was a kid, I moved across country and had to leave my cat with other family members for 4 years.
When they had planned a visit, I told them to bring my cat. They said he would not remember me.
He sure did, the second he saw me he jumped in my lap and was inseperable until they had to take him back with them.
They have amazing memories.

OMG, what a story! Now you know why we have all 12 of our cats still!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats