Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there is a thread on this, but did not see a way to search ONLY the cat forum.

This morning my cat scared the heck outa me- first she threw up all the food she had just eaten (a lot) and then I followed her to her box where she was straining and trying to defecate, and nothing was happening.

She did this straining thing a couple of times and finally did move a little bit, then a while later she had another bowel movement (small).

Now she seems to be ok, at least she is sleeping at my side and no longer crying like she was.

I'm going to go out and get some petramalt for quick relief, but I don't like to use that too often.
I had been putting psyllium in her food, and then I stopped, I think I just got lazy, so I will start giving her that again.

Are there any other remedies people know? I've read that pumpkin is good, but my cat didn't eat it, altho maybe I'll try it again.

You guys are so helpful, hope there is some feedback on this.

thanks,
ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times
My cat has this! He has everything. I give him a quarter teaspoon of mirolax, once a day, mixed with his food. it solved the problem completely. Go up to twice a day if you must.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
My cat had megacolon. I gave her Lactulose (via syringe) 2/day, 1/4 tsp. metamucil and Cisapride. Plus SQ fluids 2/week for hydration. But, it was severe (megacolon). I think the dry foods are a big no, no, of course, too. She ate only canned.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
My cat has this! He has everything. I give him a quarter teaspoon of mirolax, once a day, mixed with his food. it solved the problem completely. Go up to twice a day if you must.
I would be very careful with this. I went through the same thing with my Angel. I started giving her miralax every day for a week and then I cut it down to 1/8 of a tsp. about 3 times a week. After a couple of months she got severe diarrhea. We found a mobile vet to come to the house and the vet said miralax can cause diarrhea in cats. She told me no more miralax!

I would take your cat to a vet for a check up and follow the vet's instructions regarding your cat. I learned a lesson that cost me $256. One good thing came out of the situation...we finally found a vet with nutritional training as well as holistic and homeopathic certifications.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I'm sure there is a thread on this, but did not see a way to search ONLY the cat forum.

This morning my cat scared the heck outa me- first she threw up all the food she had just eaten (a lot) and then I followed her to her box where she was straining and trying to defecate, and nothing was happening.

thanks,
ellen
Brevity snip.

Constipation was almost unknown before people started feeding cats dry kibble. Kibble is the worst thing you can feed your cat.

What are you feeding her? She may need a change of diet and not just something to make her "go" in the future.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I would be very careful with this. I went through the same thing with my Angel. I started giving her miralax every day for a week and then I cut it down to 1/8 of a tsp. about 3 times a week. After a couple of months she got severe diarrhea. We found a mobile vet to come to the house and the vet said miralax can cause diarrhea in cats. She told me no more miralax!

I would take your cat to a vet for a check up and follow the vet's instructions regarding your cat. I learned a lesson that cost me $256. One good thing came out of the situation...we finally found a vet with nutritional training as well as holistic and homeopathic certifications.
That's fine--this is what my vet said to do. Maybe I should stop, though. One more thing to think about...

Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM

78 posts, read 144,393 times
My vet uses cat lax. It's in a tube and you just put it on it's paw and let it lick it off or in wet food.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks all!
I never give my cat kibble. She only eats Natural Balance Limited Ingredients - (due to an allergy to chicken).
I started putting psyllium in her food, and yesterday she had a nice bowel movement.
It is tricky - how much and how often. I would think giving mirolax would be like a person who takes a laxative every day. one, that would indicate a bad diet, two, the person looses ability to have healthy bowel function.

Unless there is a medical condition, I think cats (and people!) should have a healthy bowel movement naturally every day.

I worried I might have given my cat TOO much psyllium. Her poop is normally small and dry, so maybe I should add a little psyllium every day, until that improves.
Otherwise, she has a good appetite, clear eyes, nice disposition ( bossy. lol ) so I don't think she has any serious medical condition.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Thanks all!
I never give my cat kibble. She only eats Natural Balance Limited Ingredients - (due to an allergy to chicken)......
Perhaps you can find another brand that doesn't contain chicken. Not all canned foods do. And add some water to the canned food as she may not be drinking enough.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Perhaps you can find another brand that doesn't contain chicken. Not all canned foods do. And add some water to the canned food as she may not be drinking enough.
I like Natural Balance, it is highly recommended for those that like natural cat food, has no grain, and has never been in a recall.
since I've been using it, (several years) cat's fur is so smooth and silky, eyes are clear.
since switching to NB's 'Limited Ingredient', cat's ear problems disappeared. (were due to chicken allergy).

Also, since I switched to Lim.Ing. - and also using a lot of discipline - I've got cat eating twice a day, and eating a good amount. (She used to always pick at her food, and then whine all day for more.)

I add water to every meal bec. she won't drink water.

There probably are other brands without chicken, but it is hard to find cat food without either chicken or fish.

And since I've been feeding this brand for years, and only once had her throw-up, which seems to have been related to the constipation, I see no need to switch.

(altho it's expensive: $1.69 per 6 oz can. It's cheaper than the vet ! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats