Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorepit View Post
Sorry! I thought this forum was for Baltimore City specifically! We live in Baltimore City, Maryland.

I called all the shelters and animal control and rescues and they all pointed me towards craigslist to list the cat as found. I would never sell a cat on craigslist but there seems to be no organized method for reporting lost/found animals.

We are not sure if we are going to keep it - my fiance wants to but I am moderately allergic to cat dander. There is an animal rescue around here called Lucky Cat and they are a no kill rescue, that is where we would send her if we decided not to keep her. I rescued my dog from their partner rescue, Lucky Dog, and they are a wonderful organization!

Check with your local law enforcement and see if anyone has reported a cat missing with her description. Used to work for a police department - lots of people call to report animals missing and also those searching for their missing fur kids. I wish you and her the best of luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Have an Animal Control officer visit your home to scan your new friend for an ID microchip. We cat-owned people like to kid ourselves that our four-legged housemates "never" get lost. But at times they do, and they can wander over distances far greater than you would expect. The "good news" outlets online have stories on practically a daily basis about pets' reuniting with their humans after sometimes many years and hundreds of miles. Maybe your recent visitor is one of those stories waiting to be written. With that in mind you should also post a message at Petfinder.org.

Cats that were born outdoors, or left to their own devices long ago, will not approach human strangers much less be "friendly." I was reminded of this anew over the past year during the process Blaliko and Seteria went through before they finalized their adoption of me. Either of two scenarios could be in effect, though. The latest chapter of "The Incredible Journey" may be starting. Or - sadly - it may also be the case that somebody decided they couldn't or wouldn't keep the cat any longer and heartlessly turned it loose away from familiar surroundings. If the Baltimore neighborhood in question is a heavily transient area and especially if many students live there, my hunch is that the latter has occurred. Although I don't live immediately adjacent to any colleges my street is equidistant from three. We have more than our share of degree-seekers who make zero effort to get acquainted with longer-term residents and move in and move out before 2-3 years have elapsed. Inevitably at least one "lost" cat materializes every summer along with a steady supply of U-Hauls and moving vans. "Bye-bye kitty, you should be just fine here, we'll miss you but we couldn't be bothered to board you while we found an apartment in Dallas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats