Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

There's a feral cat who's been hanging around my mom's house for a while (1-2 years), and of course she gave in and started feeding her - so now the kitty thinks this is her safe place, and a few weeks ago, decided to bring her newborn kittens to the backyard shed. They've all been living there ever since, in a nesting box made with a plastic crate & blankets.

Pretty sure they're all spoken for already, so that's the good news! My sister will probably be taking two, one of my friends wants another, and my mom might keep the fourth. She and her (live-in) boyfriend have been handling them daily, then I finally got to meet them tonight, and they seem like they're already getting used to humans. Their eyes just opened, so I'm guessing they will be fully weaned in a week or two?

Once they are completely weaned, should we bring them inside the home? There's a sun-room where they can live, safe from my mother's two crazy Abyssinians... but momma cat is too wild to come in, so will she mind being totally separated from them at that point? We also discovered that a pair of GIANT raccoons have been breaking into the shed at night (caught them in the act), and eating momma's leftover cat food. She was ready at the door, though, with claws drawn to protect her babies! We moved the food slightly outside the shed, just to keep the raccoons from entering and scaring the kitties. I know, that will only encourage them - but it's better than putting the babies in danger. Would a raccoon even be a danger to them?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, but neither of us have cared for a feral litter before. And as a reward for reading my essay, here are some squee-worthy pictures of the babies.

These two will probably go to my sister's family...

My mom calls this the "ugly one," but my friend fell in love & wants to adopt him!

The only girl, kind of tortie-like...

And here's the big raccoon, stealing momma's food.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-06-2013 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:27 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Two things I forgot to mention...

- My mother did take them to the vet, and they checked out healthy. The doctor said to start offering wet food in about a week, but didn't mention whether to bring them inside at that point.

- All will be vaccinated before adoption, and spayed/neutered if they're old enough at that point... one of my co-workers (who does cat rescue on the side) also offered to help with trapping the momma for spay & re-release. No more kittens for you!!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-06-2013 at 03:35 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,852 times
I think they're not supposed to be separated from their mother until at least 12 weeks.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
8 weeks and they are old enough to be on their own.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I'd wait until 8 weeks too. And kudos to you for taming them and having mama cat spayed!

You may want to have your vet test them for FIV-FlV, just to be sure. Especially if they'll be in homes with other cats.

Circle of Life Veterinary Clinic

Raccoons will kill kittens, although I don't think it's common. I'd try to discourage those raccoons from sharing your property and cat food. I care for a colony of feral and stray cats, and put food out in the morning, enough so they all get to eat during the day. If I feed them later in the day at all, it's not much. Just what they'll eat in about 30-60 minutes. Otherwise I have raccoons and possums coming around on a regular basis!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM

638 posts, read 993,752 times
I agree with all the other posts. Also.....raccoons are a big carrier of rabies. We feed ferals as well,but bring the food in at night because of all the unwelcome guests.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
What precious babies! I hope the racoons don't harm them. When you start the canned food you may want to add finely cut raw meat after a week or two to get them used to it - NO KIBBLE!

They will need their mom until 8 weeks of age or even 10 weeks of age.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I also vote for at least 10 weeks, and 12 is ideal, if at all possible. 8 weeks is much too young, they miss out on important socialization skills learned from mother and siblings during those extra weeks. On the other hand since it is important to get the mother spayed as soon as possible, if you do bring them in sooner, just keep them all together until they are older.

Congratulations to all who will be getting new babies and I'm so happy to know the little mother will be spayed. I'd work on doing that soon, because she can go into heat and get pregnant again at any time.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I also vote for at least 10 weeks, and 12 is ideal, if at all possible. 8 weeks is much too young, they miss out on important socialization skills learned from mother and siblings during those extra weeks. On the other hand since it is important to get the mother spayed as soon as possible, if you do bring them in sooner, just keep them all together until they are older.

Congratulations to all who will be getting new babies and I'm so happy to know the little mother will be spayed. I'd work on doing that soon, because she can go into heat and get pregnant again at any time.
I know 8 weeks is less than ideal but in this instance I was thinking that getting them inside and safe was more important.

Definitely agree that trapping and getting mama spayed needs to be done ASAP! They can be impregnated while still nursing; a competent mama cat will have 2-3 litters per year. And now that she has found a safe place to bring her babies to, guess where she'll bring every litter from now on....

Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I know 8 weeks is less than ideal but in this instance I was thinking that getting them inside and safe was more important.

Definitely agree that trapping and getting mama spayed needs to be done ASAP! They can be impregnated while still nursing; a competent mama cat will have 2-3 litters per year. And now that she has found a safe place to bring her babies to, guess where she'll bring every litter from now on....
Yes, I agree with you. You are right, it is important to get them inside to safety, and on solid canned food, and if the mother can't be brought in with them, then given the circumstances, 8 weeks will have to do. And I agree that the mother will continue to bring her litters to the OPs mother's shed!

I was actually replying to this post (below). At 8 weeks, they are most definitely not able to be "on their own". They are still babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
8 weeks and they are old enough to be on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats