Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,925,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most cat owners go to school or work.
But, does your son though? Why do you think he needs a cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
But, does your son though?
Of course. Do you?

Quote:
Why do you think he needs a cat?
The same reasons every other cat forum member needs a cat. He likes cats!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes, her litter is in a low pan. It's just 1" high on the sides.

My son announced that she started using the litter box around 1am! He woke me up to tell me the great news. LOL
This is good news. Sometimes it can take more than a few days. My Callie, the parking-lot kitty, took almost a week before there were no more accidents. As I recall about 5 days. I had her out in the old RV until she was free of worms and fleas. She hasn't had an accident since. A cup of litter from my other cat's litter totes drew her to her litterpans I'm sure. Once she uses the pan you can almost always depend on her continued use of it. You already know to keep it scooped and odor free. Some cats will not use smelly unscooped smelly litter.

Quote:
He woke up to her having a litter-fest this morning at 6am. OMG, the mess she made of herself. She got her litter and water and bedding and herself all into one clumpy mess of wet litter. We just got done cleaning her and all of her stuff. She either needs a bigger cage so her litter isn't so close to everything else, or I need to make a litter box with a little cardboard box with an opening to help keep it contained.
This can be a problem when they're in a dog type cage rather than a more upright cat-cage. But even in the taller cat-cages I've seen them play in litter and make a mess.

Quote:
The sad thing is my son's allergies are starting to act up. He had allergy shots, but we didn't continue them for years and years. We may have to consider other housing options for her. We moved her cage out of his room just now. Hopefully that will give his respiratory system a rest.
Aside from the Benedryl, keeping her combed and brushed and even bathed every 2 weeks should also help.... and yes, she doesn't need to be in his bedroom if he has allergies.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This can be a problem when they're in a dog type cage rather than a more upright cat-cage. But even in the taller cat-cages I've seen them play in litter and make a mess.
We're starting out with a cat carrier. She's that little right now. She's not in it much--just overnight and when we can't watch her. Until the allergies kicked in, she pretty much had the entire run of my son's room all day. He leaves her out even when he leaves his room. Today she had the run of the entire first floor. She and the dog are working things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Aside from the Benedryl, keeping her combed and brushed and even bathed every 2 weeks should also help.... and yes, she doesn't need to be in his bedroom if he has allergies.
Hopefully bathing helps! She already had a bath this morning. It's hard for us to not view her as a germy, parasite infested mess right now. I assured my son she would grow into a very clean cat one day. She does lick herself so I'm confident.

Good news! She started drinking water tonight!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Great thread!

You're awesome for saving this sweet little creature.

Cats are very cool if allowed to develop independence, if given the chance for exploration and stimulation but especially if loved, nurtured and never abused.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Howdy, fellow cat-lover!

I think you've got yourself a forever cat! That picture of her with the dog looks like a flea on his nose--lol!

I got my cat, Buttons, when he was 2-3 weeks old, according to the vet. A long story of some kids finding an abandonded litter....I bottle-fed him with the KMR, that stuff is more expensive than human formula! Fortunately Buttons was weaned soon! He was so tiny, for the first several days, I made a little pouch and carried him in my bra---whatever works! He's now a huge, beautiful, black&white Maine Coon mix.....congratulations on the new arrival!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
But, does your son though? Why do you think he needs a cat?
Dude (or madam?), why do you keep harping on that? It was just a saying, to imply how much he apparently loves having a cat. Give it a rest!

To Hopes, I think you've been getting lots of good advice here - but as a current foster mama myself to a feral kitten, I'll echo those who have said "give it time." Mine was hissy and scared for a couple of days, and has since turned into a confident love-bug. He's been here about 1 1/2 weeks now, and is basically running the joint.

P.S. I have a dog too (along with 3 other cats), and they're getting along fine overall... kitten hissed at first, then decided they were friends, and is now kinda mad at him because of a small spat the other day (over the dog's food). But it was more like a brotherly spat, so I'm sure they will be back to friends soon enough.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Oh, and those pictures were adorable... dying of cuteness over the little rodent bed!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
It sounds like things are falling into place nicely! And your husband took it so well. Have you started thinking about a name yet?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 AM

My husband has fully accepted her. Accepted, not love mind you. I let her on the sofa last night, and he said I shouldn't let her on the sofa. (We dogwatched a dog that didn't go on furniture.) I said you can't teach a cat to not go on furniture. He responded, "Okaaaaay. Another 10 years of hair on the furniture." I didn't remind him that cats live longer than 10 years. I just relished in his acceptance that she would be here for 10 years.

He reprimanded the dog teasing, "How could you let this happen while I was out of town?"

He hasn't petted her. He wont' admit she's cute. She stares at him from a distance, fascinated by him. I told him, "Your elusiveness is enticing her."

I just fed her and she's just sitting in her litter box in her cage with the door open. I relocated her downstairs so she can be near me while it's my watch and explore more down here today. The dog is interested but behaving himself like a gentleman.

She loves my son and wants to be in his lap all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats