Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

865 posts, read 2,163,309 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have a 3 year old cat. I'm wondering if it would be worth it (or even possible) to harness / leash train her.

I don't plan on taking her for walks or anything, just figured it would be useful.

Any thoughts / ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times
I suppose in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be awful to have a cat get used to wearing a harness. But I'm not sure it's especially necessary or helpful to have her wear it more than a few months or so before some event where it would be necessary. Such events include air travel or long distance car travel.

If the cat presently goes outside, this could be a way to reign in any free roaming that she does. If not, it's debatable whether it would be worthwhile trying to introduce her to the outside. Unless she is presenting some sort of behavior issue, I would think keeping her in is best.

There are some people who have leash trained and walk their cats though. Someone posted a link recently where a woman took her cat to Petsmart or Petco. Apparently the cat enjoys it, but mostly it's a novelty. Most cats will thrive best on routine and familiarity, which means not changing up the environment that often. They can take weeks or longer to adjust to new environments. So repeated back and forth travel usually isn't ideal for them. (There are always exceptions.)

So, I dunno. Useful to do without an upcoming move or trip? Doubtful. If you're snowbirds or such living half the year in one place and half in the other, or intend to be soon, or you're trying to reign in an outdoor roaming cat, perhaps it would be useful on an ongoing basis.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM

865 posts, read 2,163,309 times
She doesn't go outside (I wouldn't want her to) and we don't travel anywhere. The only time she goes anywhere is to the vet for nail clippings.

I guess I'd feel better if she was leash trained in case something happened and we *had* to travel.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,388,784 times
Leash training your cat would be fine if you can do it. But if putting the cat on a leash is not something you're going to do on a regular basis, then it may not do you much good. After a long period of time (weeks/months), you may have to start all over. I would think that once trained to walk on a leash, you need to 'use it, or lose it'.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,000,033 times
I began training mine when they were kittens.

Some had no issues with it - but they were the minority.

My current two kitties would rather not be bothered.

My best leash trained cat was my angora Elsa. As soon as I picked up her harness she'd be waiting at the door.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Leash training your cat would be fine if you can do it. But if putting the cat on a leash is not something you're going to do on a regular basis, then it may not do you much good. After a long period of time (weeks/months), you may have to start all over. I would think that once trained to walk on a leash, you need to 'use it, or lose it'.
Yes this is the thought process behind my post as well, just to clarify. I mean, sure, you could walk her on a leash regularly inside your house for years if you want, just in case, but I could think of better ways to use that time.

Just to go to the vet was never something I viewed as needing to put her in harness and leash, that's for sure. You're in car hopefully short time, and only open carrier at home or at vet office. Not a real concern.

If you really had an emergency and had to take her on long travel on short notice, I'm sure you could make it all work okay. For air travel you just get her into the harness and she may not like it too much. For car travel, well, you could probably get by without it, or you still just put her into the harness. It's not like the rest of the travel ordeal won't be plenty uncomfortable for the cat, so one more little thing won't be the end of the world in an emergency.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I agree. My cats are harness trained, because I take them out into a small fenced yard. They wear their harnesses and drag a long length of lightweight rope behind them.

They don't mind the harnesses because they know when I put them on it is for a good reason, time in the yard.

They line up and wait their turns, to get them on. When it's time to come in, they line up inside the door and wait their turns to have them taken off.

I've only trained one kitten to harness. All the other cats I've trained to harness were adults.

I did it very slowly, but as catdad says, except for the kitten, it was the association with the harness and the yard that keeps them happy about wearing it.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 AM

400 posts, read 750,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I agree. My cats are harness trained, because I take them out into a small fenced yard. They wear their harnesses and drag a long length of lightweight rope behind them.

They don't mind the harnesses because they know when I put them on it is for a good reason, time in the yard.

They line up and wait their turns, to get them on. When it's time to come in, they line up inside the door and wait their turns to have them taken off.

I've only trained one kitten to harness. All the other cats I've trained to harness were adults.

I did it very slowly, but as catdad says, except for the kitten, it was the association with the harness and the yard that keeps them happy about wearing it.
^^^ Cute! I agree it is 100% what the harness is associated with. I've tried the harness only once and that was long long ago. I was still living in apartments and that kitty took to the leash right away. I would walk outside with her so she could sniff and roll in the grass. One day a guy passed by in his car. He slowed, rolled down his window and then drove away slapping the steering wheel, howling with laughter and saying, "She's walking her cat!"

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,007,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Hello!

I have a 3 year old cat. I'm wondering if it would be worth it (or even possible) to harness / leash train her.

I don't plan on taking her for walks or anything, just figured it would be useful.

Any thoughts / ideas?
You plan to leash-train it indoors? If you buy a harness go with the vest or pistol type. Most of the harnesses, all made in China, are useless as any self respecting cat can squiggle out of them. That can be a disaster outside. They can't wiggle out of a holster or vest type harness. And don't make it too tight. That can cause breathing problems for the cat. Don't leave the harness on for hours or days as it can cause skin irritation and/or wear off the fur where it rubs.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
I bought Jasper a harness, and he is on a small, 12 foot, string in the back, we sit on the porch with him, and he goes around, and around, we untangle him, he loves it. No problem at all, he wears his harness all the time.

Last edited by jasper12; 07-28-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats