Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:14 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times

Advertisements

I would wait until she is 6 months and have your vet do another SNAP test and also send it out to the lab. That's what my vet does from the get go.

She sure is a cutie!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I'm one of the worst when it comes to worrying about my cats, and often I don't even have a clear indication anything is really wrong. So I tell myself to 'Stop worrying and save it for when it's really necessary'. Like others have said here, put it out of your mind until after the retest.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Get a second opinion (from a different vet and a different lab).

They make mistakes all the time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 PM

225 posts, read 715,675 times
Thanks everyone. I know, everyone is telling me to quit worrying and wait until the re-test is done. I'm like thinking the absolute worst here and trying not to...I suppose it's easier said than done. All of my cats that I've ever owned have always been my babies and I worry. I just want her to be healthy and okay.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Thanks everyone. I know, everyone is telling me to quit worrying and wait until the re-test is done. I'm like thinking the absolute worst here and trying not to...I suppose it's easier said than done. All of my cats that I've ever owned have always been my babies and I worry. I just want her to be healthy and okay.
I so know the feeling! ITA with the responders who said to feed a high-quality diet and keep her indoors, then retest.

She is beautiful either way!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks everyone. What high quality foods are recommended? I've got her on Iams Kitten dry food and wet. She also gets Whiskers cat milk twice a day which she absolutely loves.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
The most important thing is to feed wet, grain free food, either canned or raw. Avoid dry if at all possible. Since she is young, you have a great opportunity to take away the dry. (Many cats on dry food for years can be difficult to transition off of it.)

Here is a good article about cat nutrition: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

I feed ours several brands: Evo, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets, Wellness (grain free varieties, not all are), and Nature's Variety. There are also commercially prepared raw diets too that are excellent.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
The most important thing is to feed wet, grain free food, either canned or raw. Avoid dry if at all possible. Since she is young, you have a great opportunity to take away the dry. (Many cats on dry food for years can be difficult to transition off of it.)

Here is a good article about cat nutrition: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

I feed ours several brands: Evo, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets, Wellness (grain free varieties, not all are), and Nature's Variety. There are also commercially prepared raw diets too that are excellent.

How do you deal with the constant switching of foods? I know you need to gradually "introduce" new food into the old to get a kitty's stomach adjusted otherwise they'll get gas and diareah. Also, I'm just somewhat nervous because you constantly hear about cat food re-calls etc and pets getting sick.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
How do you deal with the constant switching of foods? I know you need to gradually "introduce" new food into the old to get a kitty's stomach adjusted otherwise they'll get gas and diareah. Also, I'm just somewhat nervous because you constantly hear about cat food re-calls etc and pets getting sick.

Thanks.
Feeding a rotation is not a problem with wet or raw, only with dry.

Feeding a rotation is better, in part because of recalls and such. If a food you are feeding is recalled, since it is not a food she eats every day, the chances of her being affected are reduced.

Rotating brands and proteins helps ensure she is getting everything she needs. Not all foods are created equal. One may have too much of something, another may have too little. The consumer just can't know who to trust. Rotating brands cuts down on the chance of deficiencies.

There is no perfect commercial canned food. Feeding a variety, even if a certain food would be "perfect if not for such and such ingredient" and another food doesn't have that ingredient, but has another undesirable ingredient, it lessens the number of times the cat eats each undesirable ingredient.

Something I do, that may not be feasible for some: I watch for sales and stock up by the case of the foods I feed. I am stocked up months ahead. This way, by the time I get around to the cases I bought last May, if there was going to be a recall on that batch of food, I would have heard about it long before using it.

My cats are fed a combination of raw, both home made and commercial raw, and canned foods. No dry, ever.

What's your little girl's name?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
One clarification...when introducing a new food, do it in small amounts at first. For instance, this is what I would do. Stop feeding the kibble now, and continue with the Iams canned. Feed smaller portions, more often. In a week or so, introduce a new canned food, just a little, about an eighth of her intake, each day. The next week introduce something else, and so on, gradually making the new foods larger quantities. The goal is to feed a can of something different each day, on a three or four day rotation, three or four meals a day, though while she is a kitten of course she will be eating more than a can a day, depending on the size of the cans. Kittens need up to 9 or 10 ounces of wet food a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats