Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times

Advertisements

A cat recently snuck into my basement and doesn't want to leave. I've been searching for his owner, but in the mean time I've taken him to the vet and been caring for him. I'm slowly working on getting my dog and the cat to get along. But realistically a dog and a cat in a two bedroom apartment probably isn't best for either animal.

I've started reaching out to my network of friends but was looking for other options. I read a few horror stories about craigslist and it's made me nervous about using it.

He really is a great cat. 2-3 years old, neutered, up to date on all his shots, healthy, litter box trained, affectionate, and doesn't seem to have the tendency to scratch furniture. I'd love to find him a wonderful home.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
You and your dog have been Chosen. Just accept it. Congratulations on the rescue!

PS it's a great Honor to be Chosen by a cat.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Check your local animal groups for people who foster cats. They are plugged into the whole pet adoption thing.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
If you can slowly introduce the cat and dog to each other, there is nothing wrong with having both in your situation. In fact, two bedrooms is a perfect set up in case you ever need to separate them.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
If you can slowly introduce the cat and dog to each other, there is nothing wrong with having both in your situation. In fact, two bedrooms is a perfect set up in case you ever need to separate them.

He's all yours. Keep him and love him.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
We don't have a big place and have 3 cats and 2 dogs. The dogs are considered large, one is a 95 lb lab the other is 60 lb German Shepard mix. Orion adores the GSD, Scooter likes the lab and Joe wishes the dogs would evaporate, LOL But they do very well, once in a while the GSD chases Joe but in 9 years we've never had a problem.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM

303 posts, read 540,200 times
Don't buy the whole dogs-and-cats-can't-be-friends deal. Our barn cats (one of which is semi-feral) get along really well with the three dogs. They are friendly with each other and they took their own time getting to know one another. A slow-paced introduction is a good place to start, I'm sure there are threads on here about introducing two animals. Honestly, neutered boy kitties (in my experience) are much more amiable with other animals because they're much more laid-back. But, that's the boys I've had. I think dogs are largely accepting thanks to the pack mentality. The kitty will 'take over' the high places in your apartment and the doggie will get the other parts and they'll settle in together. If anything, they will keep each other company while you're at work which really helps an animal's mental state when humans are away.

Two bedrooms is a great size. A good friend of mine (now a last-year vet student at Auburn) had 3 dogs and a cat in her two bedroom college apartment when we were in school together. The kitty was the first adoptee and my friend gradually introduced the dogs over a three year period. Now it's a pack of four and they get along great. She's still in a two bedroom apartment in Auburn (now with a hubby added to the mix ) and they have plenty of room for all. She introduced the dogs to the cat just like you would introduce another cat: patience and time. Since you only have one puppy, it'll be a lot easier.

I hope you choose to keep your new kitty friend. He obviously feels safe with you since he chose your home to come to. Kitties are smart that way. I think he and your dog will be lifelong fur friends too.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
My friend is going through a bad divorce, and had to move out of her home into a tiny one bedroom apartment with her medium sized dog, and two small kitties.

It's not the ideal of circumstances, but they all adjust, and adapt, to make the best of an unexpected scenario. And they all love each other very much!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM

275 posts, read 396,983 times
I recently bought a house, and there is a large stray/feral cat community. One of the cats began regularly coming to my yard, and eventually I made friends with her. (She was obviously a pet at one time. A neighbor told me that my house was vacant for a few years, and the porch was a "hang out" for the neighborhood cats. ) One day she brought five tiny kittens with her. I was going to have her spayed and release her, but I decided that I simply could not do that, and I adopted her, though I have three cats already. I named her Moonshine. I am keeping one of her kittens; my girlfriend took two, and I am looking for homes for the other two.

I contacted all of the rescue organizations in my area. They are all filled with a waiting list. However, most of them were happy to do a "courtesy post" on their sites. Organizations in your area may be willing to do courtesy posts, too. They also sent me lists of other resources. I am very careful about which organizations I consider. I will only give them up to a group that fosters. I will not consider a shelter and certainly not a kill shelter. Many rescue organizations were firm that they did not take unwanted pets that were being "dropped off", and I had to specify that these were strays.

My three 7 year old cats were NOT happy with the new cat and the kittens. The kittens are much to active and tend to annoy the older ones. I have had to keep them separate, and monitor them when I let them mingle. They are gradually co-existing, and I expect it will improve when I find the two little ones a forever home. Letting them go will be extremely hard.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 10,635 times
Perhaps the vet you go to now has a bulletin board in the waiting room?
You could post an ad there...or maybe even the staff knows of foster places
and the like...?
Where I live (in northern Oregon) vet offices
usually have a local 'network' of locals they can call. I'm one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats