Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Eck! I know, I know Weltscmerz, Orion weighed about 17 lbs and he's long too and while he's never scratched or bit me he can contort himself into amazing ways to avoid the carrier. I always have to grab him when he least expects it and getting him in butt first is always best because he'll do the back foot brace too. Wrapping him doesn't work well because he's so huge he usually manages to wiggle loose. Scruffing him has little effect except to upset him and make me feel like the lowest form of life. What I found worked best was a carrier that opened from the top, it has a very large top, flap type opening. The problem with it is it is hard plastic and metal so along with Orion it weighed well over 20 lbs. Now that he's lost weight it probably wouldn't be so bad but I always try the soft sided one first, cuddling him in it seems to calm him but if he puts up too much of a fight I resort to the hard side.
Well, I asked my son to be here with me so he can help, although he was here last time, and still, it was like dealing with a satanic force from the Seventh Circle of Hell.
Was the carrier that opened from the top expensive? I already have three carriers, all opening from the side.
Poor little man is running a fever and is burning up. I even gave him some really cheap cat food that I bought for the ferals that I feed, and he loves it. It's from Thailand and contains a great deal of water, but I figured he needs the hydration with his fever, and it has a really strong sardine smell to tickle his taste buds, which are probably compromised right now.

Oh, and please call me Weltz......it's much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Whenever i have to take my frisky cat to the vet i find using oven mitts reduce some of the carnage on my hands and arms..

Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Please let us know what the vet says. Fingers and paws are crossed.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
The granulated form for cats was a dosage of 1/8 tsp. mixed into wet cat food. The full container cost about $20, but would last nearly two years. It's stable at room temperature. Sorry, can't remember the brand, but your vet should know about it or be able to look it up.

Carly could be quite finicky about food, but either the Lysine tasted good or she couldn't tell it was even present.
I shouldn't have mentioned an amount without checking it out! The dosage for a cat is 500 mg, I do know. There are links in this thread to amazon, and the dosage is discussed in the descriptions, and customer reviews.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...spiratory.html

Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Weltz, sorry rescue has chronic URI hopefully your kitty is healthy and won't catch it.

I don't recall how we came to have top opening carrier - had it for years and I'm post TBI (concussion) so don't recall much sometimes. But I'd look for a Humane Society thrift store, they often have them for around $10.00. I shop there often for patient clothing (I work in a psych hospital) they have tag sales and items with that color tag are $1.25 that day, here at least. They have excellent quality, once things are laundered no one knows the difference.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Well, we're home. My back is completely shredded from trying to get him in the carrier. It took my son, his friend and me to get him in there, and there was a copious amount of blood. Not Sushi's.
He has a URI and an infected tooth. He's on liquid Clavamox, which the vet assured me is completely tasteless. It isn't. It tastes like very sweet crap, and Sushi loathes it. I should have gone to my human compounding pharmacy, where they make liquid meds for pets that taste of liver, beef or tuna.
Getting him back in the carrier for the trip home was an exercise in futility. Three of us finally had to give up for fear of breaking his legs. We ended up dismantling the carrier, putting him in the bottom part, and I sat on the top while they put it back together with the pins. They had never seen anything like it, and kept on insisting that most cats like getting back in because it means they're going home. This one doesn't. In spades.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Sushi is home and you know what is wrong with him!!! Have a glass of merlot, give some to Sushi he might like it. On a serious note - you are not alone. ShadowCat is supposed to lick her medication off her paws. She invented a new sport - precision slinging sticky goo. How will you administer the Clavamox? Syringe without needle?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sushi is home and you know what is wrong with him!!! Have a glass of merlot, give some to Sushi he might like it. On a serious note - you are not alone. ShadowCat is supposed to lick her medication off her paws. She invented a new sport - precision slinging sticky goo. How will you administer the Clavamox? Syringe without needle?
Yes, I'll have to. The vet suggested putting in his food, but that won't go over well. That stuff is NASTY! Yes, I tasted it. As a nurse, I know there's really no such thing as tasteless liquid antibiotics, so I had to see for myself. I was right. I can STILL taste it, and that was a few hours ago.
My old cat Asia was really good at precision flinging sticky goo as well. Old Couscous was a dear. You could do anything to him and he didn't mind, as long as he wasn't around men. He was always scared of men and their feet.
Gee, I wonder what could have happened to him before we found him.....

Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, we're home. My back is completely shredded from trying to get him in the carrier. It took my son, his friend and me to get him in there, and there was a copious amount of blood. Not Sushi's.
He has a URI and an infected tooth. He's on liquid Clavamox, which the vet assured me is completely tasteless. It isn't. It tastes like very sweet crap, and Sushi loathes it. I should have gone to my human compounding pharmacy, where they make liquid meds for pets that taste of liver, beef or tuna.
Getting him back in the carrier for the trip home was an exercise in futility. Three of us finally had to give up for fear of breaking his legs. We ended up dismantling the carrier, putting him in the bottom part, and I sat on the top while they put it back together with the pins. They had never seen anything like it, and kept on insisting that most cats like getting back in because it means they're going home. This one doesn't. In spades.
I've had to give Angel antibiotics a few times. She doesn't protest all that much when it's Clindimycin (sp?), but Clavamox is another story. She really hates the stuff, and I end up having to scruff her to get it in her. I figured it had to taste pretty bad. The last time she was on Clavamox, she had to have 1-1/2 eyedropper full twice a day, and it was a bit of a struggle every time. When you have to do something like that by yourself, you have to get creative. Sure could have used an extra pair of hands a few times.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I've had to give Angel antibiotics a few times. She doesn't protest all that much when it's Clindimycin (sp?), but Clavamox is another story. She really hates the stuff, and I end up having to scruff her to get it in her. I figured it had to taste pretty bad. The last time she was on Clavamox, she had to have 1-1/2 eyedropper full twice a day, and it was a bit of a struggle every time. When you have to do something like that by yourself, you have to get creative. Sure could have used an extra pair of hands a few times.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you man by 'scruff".
You mean smack her? How on earth is that supposed to help? I can't imagine how it would make the experience a more positive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats