Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times

Advertisements

We have six cats. Some mostly stay inside, some prefer to be outside most of the time. It is now months into a loonger winter with -F temps every night. So all of them have been cooped up indoors too much.

A month ago, somebody urinated in our dish drain-board. I noticed when I started to put the dishes away. So I re-cleaned the dishes, scrubbed the drain-board, etc.

Now someone is doing this every few days.

We have not spotted who is doing it.

Our cats range from 10+ years old to 6 months old, and include 2 fixed males, the rest are females.

They have 3 litter boxes, and a dozen indoor houseplants that they sometimes urinate in [I have a bunch of trees that I bring indoors to winter-over].

Any ideas that would explain why a cat would do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:39 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,412,275 times
They probably have a urinary tract infection. We have had cats do this. Our vets say that since urination in painful, they avoid the litter box. Also it's cool if there is metal at the bottom of the sink.

It can be life threatening if it's a male cat. The urinary tract can become blocked and the kidneys fail. Our first cat died this way.

We now have a female cat and she started doing this. We had to put her on antibiotics and it was cured fairly easily.

Increase fluids to your cats by using a syringe full of water and shooting it down their throats. Then watch them go potty. If they are straining and going more than the other cats, you have found the culprit.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,417,516 times
Yes, it could very well be a UTI or some other medical problem. I currently have 5 cats so I understand it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint who's having the problem (been there and done that). You will have to watch them ALL very closely and figure out which one it is. Excessive drinking is the obvious thing to look for. Loss of appetite and/or change in usual habits is another indication something's not right. Not much help I know, just watch them like a hawk & good luck.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,046,527 times
Just a couple of questions to see if we can figure this out for you! First, what type of litter do you use? By that, I mean is it clumping litter or regular litter? If it's clumping litter, how often do you scoop per day? Next, what size are your litter boxes? Are they standard litter boxes? A lot of us on here make our own litter boxes from storage bins. They're deeper and bigger. Cats seem to like these "homemade" litter boxes because they're roomier. Is there any way you can keep the plants and trees in another room away from the cats? The cats that do go outside might find your plants and trees more attractive as a litter box since they are used to going outside amongst the trees and plants!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Just a couple of questions to see if we can figure this out for you! First, what type of litter do you use? By that, I mean is it clumping litter or regular litter? If it's clumping litter, how often do you scoop per day? Next, what size are your litter boxes? Are they standard litter boxes? A lot of us on here make our own litter boxes from storage bins. They're deeper and bigger. Cats seem to like these "homemade" litter boxes because they're roomier. Is there any way you can keep the plants and trees in another room away from the cats? The cats that do go outside might find your plants and trees more attractive as a litter box since they are used to going outside amongst the trees and plants!
We use clumping litter.

We have three litter boxes, roughly 1 foot by 18" and 6" deep. Two of them were store-bought and are covered [doorway that they wall into a little dome], the third is open [and rubber-maid bin].

Until winter ends, I am stuck with having plants inside. They should be moving out now, but, ... winter has not ended yet.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We use clumping litter.

We have three litter boxes, roughly 1 foot by 18" and 6" deep. Two of them were store-bought and are covered [doorway that they wall into a little dome], the third is open [and rubber-maid bin].

Until winter ends, I am stuck with having plants inside. They should be moving out now, but, ... winter has not ended yet.

It could be that one or more of the cats don't like the covered litter box. This is common with some cats. The odors are trapped inside and a lot of cats don't like that. Can you take the covers off?

The general rule is to have one litter box per cat plus one extra. I don't follow that rule though. I have 4 cats and 2 HUGE litter boxes I made from 2 45 gallon plastic bins. This works fine and I scoop a couple times a day. Your litter boxes sound a little small maybe. You could also try getting a bigger one and see if the cats gravitate to it more than the smaller ones. It takes a lot of experimentation to find what works best for your situation. Good luck!

P.S. Winter hasn't ended here yet either!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,417,516 times
I second the suggestion to get rid of the litter box covers. They not only trap odors, but dust as well and that can be unhealthy for your cats when using them. Covered litter boxes are mainly for the benefit of humans..... not the cat.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,897,649 times
My vote for UTI also. My Son's one cat, Sassy, would do that when she had a flair up. Other times she was fine, but when she had the problem she would pee in the sink or tub. They put her on some medication that she took every day and that cleared it up.

Don

Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 AM

198 posts, read 274,481 times
You never know. One of my cats is urinating outside the box also. I took her to the vet, and everything is fine. I was sure it was a UTI, because she has had them before, but no. No UTI, not kidney related, not hyperthyroidism, and not diabetes.

The vet said the next thing to check for is cancer, as that will cause them to pee outside the box. Never heard of that one before.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteagirl View Post
You never know. One of my cats is urinating outside the box also. I took her to the vet, and everything is fine. I was sure it was a UTI, because she has had them before, but no. No UTI, not kidney related, not hyperthyroidism, and not diabetes.

The vet said the next thing to check for is cancer, as that will cause them to pee outside the box. Never heard of that one before.
Cats are mysterious little creatures. Like you said, it's not always a medical issue when it comes to urinating outside of the box.

OP...I wondering if maybe there are some territorial issues amongst the cats concerning the litter boxes. We had that problem one time. The older male would not let the younger male in the litter box. We had to move one of the litter boxes to another spot and I would stand guard when the younger male needed to use the litter box.

You could also try using a different brand of litter. There is a product out there that's supposed to attract the cat more to the litter box. Can't think of the name of it. Any one know what I'm talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats