Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We went on a 6 week trip last summer and hired a local girl to drop by 2 times a day to deal with the 3 cats, when we came home the cats didnt even bother waking up to greet us home.
I'd say it would be in the cats best interest to leave it at home.
I had the opposite experience. I hired a petsitter to come and take care of my pets (three dogs and a cat) while I was gone on a week long trip. When I returned, my cat was locked in a bedroom without food or water and my dogs were stuck outside in the Texas heat with no water. I was livid. Fortunately, everyone turned out OK and I have since found a great dogsitter to take care of my deaf and hearing Danes with a service. I bring my two dogs to her home and feel much more at ease with them being watched all day. Someone brought up a great point about quarantine laws. Those are definitely important to investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Firstly where is abroad ? do your homework on quarantine laws before you make any more decisions.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Absolutely leave the cat at home and have someone come in every day. Cats do best in a routine and known environment. It's much worse for them being moved around (i.e. travel) than missing their humans.

I've never been gone that long (I think 8 or 9 days was my maximum) but I would never force a cat to travel. Gosh, my cat gets stressed by a 10 min car ride.

If you have a completely unsociable cat who thinks all other humans are dangerous (like my cat), then a visit once a day or even every other day is fine. My cat hides in fear from her petsitter. Once in awhile she'll make an appearance to the sitter, hiss loudly, and then run under the bed. But that's fine because at least we know she's still alive, as I told the sitter. And she eats and uses her litterbox and otherwise will sleep in bed.

Think of your cat first. What's best for the kitty? Travel is stressful and traveling abroad is taking it even further. Please use a good petsitter.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Another point about petsitting, if you decide to go this route, and this is something I intend to do:

Do a bit of cat proofing. Clean up the place, look for anything the cat might get into that they should not and put it away. If you own wand style cat toys with the wand, string, and toy attached, put them away. Cats can get wound and hung up in those things if not supervised. If you can unplug electronics with exposed power cords, for things you won't be home to use anyways, go ahead and do that. Close closet doors, bathroom doors, and if there are doors to rooms you're leaving open, stick something under them to jam them open. This very morning, my little fuzzy goofus got himself stuck in a bathroom, he went in and pushed the door shut. I heard all this pawing and meowing, and he'd shut himself in there. He was in my room less than an hour prior, and everyone else was still in bed asleep, he could only have done it himself. If you have breakable things on shelves, if you can take them down and stick them in a less used room and shut the door, that's not a bad idea either. This is all stuff I fully mean to do, even though someone is checking on my boy 3 times a day. Why? Because bored cats, like bored kids, get into mischief. I'm going to cat-proof my place like one would child proof a place. It will give me a bit more peace of mind.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
OP, I put a cat on a plane once.

NEVER again. It scared the cat so bad that he was an absolute mess. It took him a very long time to recover, and he was never the same cat again.

Leave your cat at home and hire a sitter. Your cat will be much happier.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I think that any advantage (for your cat) that might be gained by being with you when you travel will be wiped out by the stress of traveling and being in a new environment. Stress is unhealthy for a cat, especially over a long period of time. It's possible that your trip could trigger medical problems.... maybe unlikely, but it is something to consider.
Some cats travel well, or moderately well, and some just don't. You know your cat better than anyone, so use your own judgment, and go with your gut feelings. I too have a cat that is very social & loving but only to me. She is fearful of everyone else who comes to my house & will hide until they leave. When I have to take her to the vet, she more or less completely shuts down. There is no way she could handle a trip like the one you're talking about. If I were in your shoes I would try to find a reliable & reputable pet sitting service, or a nice boarding facility if possible.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
personally, for that length of time I would look into a good kennel with a well known cattery. Your cat will have someone watching him for much more then 15-30 mins a day. If he should fall ill, they will be there and get him Vet care right away or within reasonable time.

A sitter may not even see your cat for a day or so if he isn't friendly with strangers. Sitters are only going to go looking for so long before they just fill the bowls, check litter box and go home.

At a cattery, he will have people around, noise, activity. I do not suggest you take him on a trip overseas! Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Leave the cat home. Someone has mentioned quarantine rules. I know if you are going to England, pets have to have 6 month quarantine.

We travel A LOT and we have a good friend who comes in everyday to take care of the furbabies. I put some cats on a plane before and it wasn't fun. One of them got sick during take off. They were very stressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I had the opposite experience. I hired a petsitter to come and take care of my pets (three dogs and a cat) while I was gone on a week long trip. When I returned, my cat was locked in a bedroom without food or water and my dogs were stuck outside in the Texas heat with no water. I was livid. Fortunately, everyone turned out OK and I have since found a great dogsitter to take care of my deaf and hearing Danes with a service. I bring my two dogs to her home and feel much more at ease with them being watched all day. Someone brought up a great point about quarantine laws. Those are definitely important to investigate.
I had that happen too. The cat was locked in the bedroom for FOUR DAYS!!! And of course she used my bed, mainly my pillow for a catbox. But, I'm not too sure who did it because my catsitter wasn't the only one going in there. We were having our living room painted (by someone we trusted-in fact, she watched the cats for us on occasion). But, what I don't get is why the cat didn't let anyone know that she was in there because as soon as we walked in the door, she let us know-BIG TIME!

Cat

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I would never subject a cat to such a horrendous situation unless I was making a permanent move and could not rehome it.
I would look for a foster home. Somebody who already has cats or dogs who get along with other cats. Your cat could be watched all day for trouble and appropriate action could be taken.

But the ideal plan-if you have to go- is to have a pet/house sitter who will be a human presence for your pet all the time.

personally i wouldn't go away from home that long.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
I think you should leave kitty home if you have someone you can trust to watch him. Cats in general do not like to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats