Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

You'll be pleased to know airlines are being pressured to change their ways when it comes to the transport of pets.
As pet deaths continue, airlines pressured to change their ways | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Not too sure i'd want any pet of mine stuck in a box in a cargo hold for the duration of a transcontinental flight, or did you have visions of the cat purring contentedly in your lap for the whole flight..Do the cat a favor and leave it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM

20 posts, read 19,015 times
I took my cat to see my grandparents for a week via plane. She was 10 weeks old and I had her in a carrier as a carryon. She did great! She was fine in the new environment, and the plane ride went smoothly (this was just a 2 hour flight, but I did have a 4 hour layover). I was able to take her out in the airport and play with her, feed her, and give her water.

She adapted to the new environment in my grandparents' basement just fine. I'd like to note that she has always been fine in her carrier and isn't easily stressed out. Since she was just a kitten, I felt uneasy leaving her alone all day in my apartment by herself.

I picked up a new kitten playmate in the new place and brought back both with me - they did fine. My new kitten was only 6 weeks old (a rescue baby) and the airline allowed me to take two kittens because they fit in the same carrier. I'd recommend against sending them via cargo - taking them both out for playtime in between flights really helped them be less stressed out, and most airports have areas you can play with them for awhile at (they say no pets out of carriers at the gate, but that's more of an actual guideline than a strict rule - nobody bothered me when I took Arya out at the gate to stretch her legs).

I kept both kitties in harnesses and with leashes to make SURE they would not roam away from me in the airport.

It took my new kitten about a week to adapt to my home after traveling from my grandparents' house. I don't know your cat, but if he's a velcro kitty like mine are, I'd take him with you traveling. Some cats are just fine with the change, it really just depends on the personality of the cat. Arya did great.

I also would like to note that I was not required to provide a veterinary certificate for my cats because the flight was domestic. I'd imagine that overseas a cat requires a bunch of paperwork to bring. But that is your hassle, not the kitty's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats