Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Do they make flushable litter?

I will be getting a new cat in a few months and I would like to keep the litter next to the toilet for a while, then eventually transition to toilet training the cat once it is older. I was hoping I could use flushable litter for ease of clean up. I am not on a septic system.
"Don't do it" is very good advice. Even if they say it's 'flushable' it still may clog up your pipes. If the grade (slope) of your main sewer line isn't at maximum (or even if it is) you could get build up in the pipe & eventually stop it up. I wouldn't trust it not to solidify over time.
FYI- about 3 years ago I had an estimate done to replace about 45' of main sewer line at my old house (tree root clogs) and the figure was around $2,000 to $2500, and that was just for the exposed part in the open yard. I could add another 500 to 1000 if they had to tunnel the remaining 10' under the house. So it's an expensive repair if it clogs bad enough that a rooter can't get it clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Unless you have a ton of money and time to clean out your plumbing system, throw the litter etc. in the trash.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 AM

277 posts, read 442,152 times
We have three cats and use Integrity Natural Wheat. We started with Fresh Step and I hated all the little everywhere and the dust. When we adopted the first two cats from the shelter we got coupons for a free bag of the Integrity litter. It took me forever to actually use the coupons (I pretty much forgot about them), but now it's all I use. The tracking is almost non existent (there's still some that gets on the mat that's outside the boxes, but that's easy to just toss back in the box), and there's no dust or smell. I buy the smallest bag they sell, which costs about $10 or so, but it lasts about a month and a half with two boxes. I think the hardest part about it is the fact that they don't sell it everywhere. Seems to be only specialty pet stores do. Where I'm at it isn't a problem, but if all you have around is Petco/Petsmart, you won't find it there.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. I find that it is helpful when you have a kitty that sometimes had litterbox issues.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Thanks for the info on the flushable litter. I will avoid it for sure.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
I used to use Everclean unscented, but over the years it now has a VERY perfumy scent, and when I started smelling it on my cats, I started looking for other litter to try. Plus the dust now in Everclean is ridiculous.

I started using the Ultra Precious Dr Elsey's litter. Pretty much no dust, no scent, but noticed that my cats were sniffing around it afterwards, like they still smelled it, and continued to try to furiously cover what they had just done. And the little covered trash can that I use just for litter, stunk to high heaven with the Dr. Elsey's. So it didn't cover odors anywhere near as much as Everclean. On advice from some Amazon reviews, I tried putting in activated charcoal, which I really don't think helped. And if I use baking soda to try to mask/absorb the odors, here comes the dust!

Decided to try the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal, in the maroon/black box. It's like beach sand, it's so fine. Which is great for when the clumps sometimes fall apart, you can see it clear as day. No dust! But it does have a scent, and the second box I tried had an even stronger scent. Only one of my two cats has used this box, to my knowledge. The little trash can doesn't smell nearly as bad as the one with the Dr Elsey's in it.

So right now I have one box that is a combo of Everclean/Dr Elsey's, one just the Dr Elsey's, one in an upstairs bathroom with the Clump & Seal.

I really hate stressing my cats out - they endured a few weeks of a kitchen remodel, and that was stress enough for them. I figured I'd finish out most of the Dr Elsey's/Clump & Seal, and maybe try the Nature's Miracle Intense Defense clumping litter... curious if anyone has any thoughts on that one...

Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
PetsMart was out of either of my usual brands today, so I bought ExquisiCat unscented. Not bad, not dusty, and no one has pooped outside of the box in protest yet.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:

I will be getting a new cat in a few months and I would like to keep the litter next to the toilet for a while, then eventually transition to toilet training the cat once it is older. I was hoping I could use flushable litter for ease of clean up. I am not on a septic system.
Any litter can clog the pipes. There are other issues with flushing that are too much to type here. Better to dispose of litter in the trashcan.

If you want your cat to use the commode make sure you remove the seat first. If the cat finds it closed a few times he may choose to look elsewhere to reliever him/herself. Also, you don't want the seat to come down on one of the cat's paws.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:44 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I am rethinking my litter choice (Fresh Step). I have been reading that clay based litters are not good for the environment. I confess, I usually don't scoop. But, I always just change the entire box and clean it about once a week or so. This is why I don't like clumping litter because it usually sticks to the bottom of the pan making it a b**** to clean.

I have read this thread on what everyone uses but there were a few things that people didn't mention-how much tracking. I want a litter that will control odors, have less dust & doesn't track. And if it is good for the environment, even better. Does such a litter exist?

Cat

Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I use clumping litter, and it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. You must not be using very much litter if that's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats