Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM

29 posts, read 41,392 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 yr old seal point Ragdoll. He is healthy--or certainly seems to be--but his once very dark face has lightened considerably. I know that these color-marks are temperature sensitive and it is summertime, but he's an indoor-only kitty. The only reason this over-protective mom hasn't rushed him to the vet for this is I really don't want him vaccinated again (state law requires rabies). We had a previous elderly kitty with a VAS scare which caused me to research it like crazy and now it scares me to give unnecessary vaccines (he had all the kitten shots and boosters). And I know our vet complies with law because this kitty's sister was taken in for a UTI and came away with a rabies shot.

Two things changed just before his color started lightening: he had to welcome a new cat into the household about 5 months ago (he doesn't like the newcomer) AND I took away his dry food completely--he's now on canned food only diet (Fussie Cat brand) and he's become food-obsessed.

I'm researching tail vaccinations and wonder if the vet can do it (even if they've never done one before) if I ask specifically for it. That's really the only way I'd ever want vaccines again for total indoor cats who aren't exposed to others (the newcomer is a rehomed Ragdoll who was up-to-date on his shots).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
I agree with you about the vaccinations. I have indoor only cats too. They get their shots for the first year and that's it. If it was me, I would look for a new vet, for one simple reason. I don't care for any vet who insists on vaccinations for a sick cat. The cat with the UTI, in my opinion, should NOT have been vaccinated at that time. A good vet will offer to do the titer tests to check on the levels of vaccine still in their systems, rather than just go ahead and give them boosters.

It worries me that now they want to give the vaccinations in the tail. That means they KNOW it's not entirely safe to keep vaccinating the same spot. So they use the tail because it can be amputated if there are problems. No thanks.

It sounds like you're a good and caring cat parent. Whenever I'm in doubt about doing something, I listen to my "gut" and what it's telling me. Then I research, then I make a decision. Good luck to you.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
No one can force you to over vaccinate your pets. You as an owner have the right to make decisions that are in their best interest. Simply tell your vet that your cat will not be receiving any vaccines at each apt. If they attempt to pressure you, simply keep repeating the word "no." I have been doing this for years and my animals have been healthier and living longer because of it. One of my last animals died from systematic lymphoma after receiving a vaccine - never again.

Better yet, find a great holistic vet and you problem will be solved.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
I agree- just say no. If YOU choose to vaccinate again, they can also do it low on the back leg (specifically ask for it low- near the knee, not the hip). I would think a shot in the tail would be painful although I've read it is an option. I have a cat with VAS so I'm paranoid now too.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiePie View Post
I have a 4 yr old seal point Ragdoll. He is healthy--or certainly seems to be--but his once very dark face has lightened considerably. I know that these color-marks are temperature sensitive and it is summertime, but he's an indoor-only kitty. The only reason this over-protective mom hasn't rushed him to the vet for this is I really don't want him vaccinated again (state law requires rabies). We had a previous elderly kitty with a VAS scare which caused me to research it like crazy and now it scares me to give unnecessary vaccines (he had all the kitten shots and boosters). And I know our vet complies with law because this kitty's sister was taken in for a UTI and came away with a rabies shot.

Two things changed just before his color started lightening: he had to welcome a new cat into the household about 5 months ago (he doesn't like the newcomer) AND I took away his dry food completely--he's now on canned food only diet (Fussie Cat brand) and he's become food-obsessed.

I'm researching tail vaccinations and wonder if the vet can do it (even if they've never done one before) if I ask specifically for it. That's really the only way I'd ever want vaccines again for total indoor cats who aren't exposed to others (the newcomer is a rehomed Ragdoll who was up-to-date on his shots).

Thanks.
I definitely would NOT recommend vaccs in the tail - that's a REALLY painful injection site - especially for cats. I worked at a vet's office for several years, and I couldn't stand watching a cat or dog get a shot in the tail. If you think about it - the tail is an extension of their spine - it's part of their central nervous system, and FULL of very sensitive nerve endings.

You do have the right to refuse vaccinations, but just make sure you understand the consequences of that refusal. Take the health concerns off the discussion table for a minute (because there are a lot of very valid debates about the true impact/necessity of annual rabies vaccinations on the prevention of the spread of rabies), but there are other consequences to not vaccinating your cat for rabies. It varies by state, but most places impose a mandatory 10 day quarantine at the owner's expense if your cat bites someone (and that someone complains about it to an authority) and is not up to date on vaccinations. You can also be fined and your vet can "fire" you as a client and refuse to continue seeing your cat as a patient.

For better or worse, pets are still legally regarded as property, so as harsh as this analogy may seem... think of your cat like a car. Technically you have the right to refuse to renew your car's registration every year. Technically, you have the right to refuse to get it inspected in compliance with your state's rules. And technically, you can be fined (or in extreme cases) arrested for that.

BUT... if you park your car in your garage and never let it out or drive it... who's gonna notice if you haven't renewed the registration or inspection?

And frankly, most veterinarians worth their salt understand better than most people exactly how risky annual rabies vaccinations are and probably won't "fire" you as a client. But the front office staff (and even some of the vet techs) are trained to follow their protocol, so you'll probably get asked/harassed about it every time you take your kitty in for treatment. But you definitely have the legal right to deny a particular treatment or service for your "property."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
A good vet will offer to do the titer tests to check on the levels of vaccine still in their systems, rather than just go ahead and give them boosters.
Titer tests are great (I used to run them all the time), but unfortunately, they don't automatically exempt you from mandatory vaccinations. Titers, in combination with a medical exemption form from your vet might exempt you from your state's mandatory vaccination laws IF your pet has a current/verifiable medical condition that puts their life imminent danger.

There's a pretty cool website called rabieschallengefund.org, and they have a specific list of states that allow medical rabies exemptions: States with Medical Exemptions in Lieu of Rabies Vaccination - Rabies Challenge Fund

Titers are mostly used (in the vet world) for animals that have to go overseas. There are so many complicated rules/laws governing mandatory quarantines for every country - titers are sometimes required by the host country to verify levels of immunity.

Some vets will run titers in lieu of vaccinations (even in a mandatory vaccination states) to provide the owner peace of mind about immunity. BUT - if an animal's titer comes up negative or below acceptable levels, they will usually ask you to come back in for a vaccination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
So they use the tail because it can be amputated if there are problems.
That's also exactly why they choose a back leg... fyi.

And I will confess that after working in a vet clinic... I vowed to NEVER vaccinate my (indoor only) kitties past their initial kitten shots EVER AGAIN. I just saw too many deaths from vaccination reactions and too many lymphosarcomas eat a kitty alive from the leg up...

So my advice... if your kitty is indoor only - skip the vaccs. If your vet pressures you too much, find a vet that will work with you and at least titer before vaccinating (if not look the other way and skip vaccs altogether). If you decide to get him vaccinated - DON'T DO IT IN THE TAIL. ouch.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post

.......And I will confess that after working in a vet clinic... I vowed to NEVER vaccinate my (indoor only) kitties past their initial kitten shots EVER AGAIN. I just saw too many deaths from vaccination reactions and too many lymphosarcomas eat a kitty alive from the leg up...
Which vaccines are causing all these cancers in cats? Is it just the rabies vaccine? If so, which one?

Quote:
So my advice... if your kitty is indoor only - skip the vaccs. If your vet pressures you too much, find a vet that will work with you and at least titer before vaccinating (if not look the other way and skip vaccs altogether). If you decide to get him vaccinated - DON'T DO IT IN THE TAIL. ouch.

Good luck!
How much do titers run - roughly?

Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Which vaccines are causing all these cancers in cats? Is it just the rabies vaccine? If so, which one?

How much do titers run - roughly?
Feline Leukemia vaccs are the worst offenders (in terms of cancer causing). Fortunately most owners are now informed enough to only vaccinate for FeLV if they had a kitty at high risk of getting it (outdoors a lot, large feral community nearby, etc).

Second place would go to the standard annual FVRCP shot, which covers most rhino and corona viruses. Having gone through the personal (and financial) hell that is dealing with an entire household (4 total) of (indoor only) kitties infected with upper respiratory viruses (which are covered in the FVRCP shot)... I can see the rationale behind getting that one done at least every other year. Indoor kitties can contract one of those viruses from another infected kitty in the vet's office waiting room. Even the most careful, well-trained vet's offices can't guarantee there will never be an infectious patient in the waiting room sneezing next to your kitty's carrier... And those viruses spread faster than the human flu.

Titer costs vary widely by area, but the ones we sent off were about $20 each. So a dog would get a titer for rabies and a titer for distemper = $40 for titers plus standard exam fees, fecal test, heartworm test, etc. As a comparison, most vaccines ran anywhere from $10-15 each because the vets can buy them in bulk. So titers would add maybe $20-25 to your usual annual check up costs. Plus additional fees if the titer levels came back low and the animal had to be vaccinated anyway.

I've probably seen more bad reactions to rabies vaccinations (fevers, vomiting and even death) than cancers, but they do also sometimes cause cancer.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I have two 17 lb Ragdolls which of course are only indoor. They both had baby shots and that is it. Every time they have to go to vet-which is rarely- she gives me the spiel about vx and the law...I say "Duly noted" and that is that. Nobody can force you to get your cats vaccinated. Either tell her you refuse to get them because of your fears or find a new vet. By law they have to give you the info but she cannot grab the cat and give him a shot you do not want. Stand up for your baby and yourself.

Also I would hope you are feeding only a quality non grain cat food. most foods sold in the grocery stores are crap.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Also, be sure to have your animal's charts clearly marked that they are not to be given vaccines without your permission.

It's not uncommon to hear of animals that are over vaccinated or even double vaccinated by Vets during other procedures like dentals or invasive spat surgeries, etc. Sometimes people do not even find out until they get their bill and see vaccines added on. Over vaccinating and over stimulating the immune system during other stressful procedures is about the worst possible scenario and should never be done, imo.

If you have their charts marked, it should prevent this from happening.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Feline Leukemia vaccs are the worst offenders (in terms of cancer causing). Fortunately most owners are now informed enough to only vaccinate for FeLV if they had a kitty at high risk of getting it (outdoors a lot, large feral community nearby, etc).
Where I live here in TN they're not vaccinating for either of those. One place I called said because the FIV virus mutates to quickly. She didn't say why they don't do the FeLV one. One vet will vaccinate for those.

Quote:
Second place would go to the standard annual FVRCP shot, which covers most rhino and corona viruses. Having gone through the personal (and financial) hell that is dealing with an entire household (4 total) of (indoor only) kitties infected with upper respiratory viruses (which are covered in the FVRCP shot)... I can see the rationale behind getting that one done at least every other year. Indoor kitties can contract one of those viruses from another infected kitty in the vet's office waiting room. Even the most careful, well-trained vet's offices can't guarantee there will never be an infectious patient in the waiting room sneezing next to your kitty's carrier... And those viruses spread faster than the human flu.
Mine all had that vaccine and one booster. That was all. However, 2 of them had serious URIs when I got them from the shelter. CRAP!

Quote:
Titer costs vary widely by area, but the ones we sent off were about $20 each. So a dog would get a titer for rabies and a titer for distemper = $40 for titers plus standard exam fees, fecal test, heartworm test, etc. As a comparison, most vaccines ran anywhere from $10-15 each because the vets can buy them in bulk. So titers would add maybe $20-25 to your usual annual check up costs. Plus additional fees if the titer levels came back low and the animal had to be vaccinated anyway.
How things have changed since I worked in the Animal Hosp. I'd rather the titers than have them over-vaccinated.

Quote:
I've probably seen more bad reactions to rabies vaccinations (fevers, vomiting and even death) than cancers, but they do also sometimes cause cancer.
Are you talking about both the modified live or the dead or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats