Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times

Advertisements

Pumpkin is okay (if cat will eat it) but needs quite a bit, about a tablespoon a day, on a regular basis, to be effective, and does of course provide more carbs and sugar than you really want a cat to have on a daily basis.

Cats generally shed most heavily in spring and fall, when the new coats grow in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM

222 posts, read 238,997 times
If your cats have hairball problem, which means your cats are shedding hairs, which means you are not feeding them right. Giving them these kind of things is nothing more than treating symptoms. You need to fix the cause which is you are feeding them bad food.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:52 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Um...I'm pretty sure that cats will shed hairs regardless of what they are fed. I've never read or heard anywhere that bad food causes shedding. Maybe shedding to the point of looking bedraggled might be a sign of poor health, but some shedding especially seasonally is normal, I would think.

It's throwing up and getting excessive hairballs that isn't really normal on a good wet diet. Because they aren't passing the hair in the poop, as they should.

At least that's been my understanding from all the reading I have done.

Anyways, Nimbus only had just a few, over the course of about a week he had maybe 3 small hairballs, and then it stopped. I was just concerned of what to do about it if it got continued or got worse. His asthma has been really bad though...I'm about to start using my son's Flovent on him no matter what my weird cheapskate country vet thinks. I talked to a friend from high school who is a vet and he said the dosage on those Flovent inhalers is pretty standard and you can use a human one on a cat. Ordered an AeroKat mask too, because if I'm gonna give him Flovent, I can't risk wasting it messing around with a toilet paper tube. Poor kitty. He doesn't like all this medication business.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Hairballs: the cat's curse? All cats get hair balls. They eat grass to upset the stomach and empy contents. A little bit of mayo smeared on top of the front paws works for us. Like a "pinch of salt" a little big goes a very long way. .

Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Hairballs: the cat's curse? All cats get hair balls. They eat grass to upset the stomach and empy contents. A little bit of mayo smeared on top of the front paws works for us. Like a "pinch of salt" a little big goes a very long way. .

It's not true that "all cats get hairballs". I have two who don't, ever. They've been fed a canned and raw diet since they entered this house, and pass the fur through the digestive tract like they were meant to.

No one really knows why cats eat grass. Some do, some don't. Some puke it back up, some don't. There is no positive factual evidence they do it to bring up hairballs.

Anyway, all this, and more, has already been said in this thread. You are welcome to read the whole thread.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
If your cats have hairball problem, which means your cats are shedding hairs, which means you are not feeding them right. Giving them these kind of things is nothing more than treating symptoms. You need to fix the cause which is you are feeding them bad food.
One of the more ridiculous claims I've ever seen. Where there is hair there is shedding and sometimes hairballs.
Oscar and Langley are Ragdolls and have very long hair. they not only groom themselves but each other. Both shed a great deal in summer. We brush them about every other day and the Zoom Groom is full of fur. I can count on one hand how many hairballs langley has had in his 12 years. Oscar however has IBD and his tummy is more sensitive. he was barfing up hairballs about once a week but with this new Vet's Best it is about once every 3 weeks and so much smaller.
Anybody who thinks s/he has a cat who doesn't shed (except for those furless kitties) is fooling themselves.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Right. All cats shed, but diet DOES make a difference. That may be what was meant.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM

catsmom, you made me laugh with the "some do, some don't" (eat grass) thing..

I remembered the one time I bought one of those pots of "cat grass" from Petsmart, looked like something Nimbus might like, so what the heck right? Well, I'm not a plant person, but I figure they need sun and water. Put it on the windowsill to get sun. Nimbus comes along and I can't wait to see if he'll do anything with it... Well, it was immediately apparent that he didn't appreciate me putting silly vegetation on the valuable real estate of HIS window ledge. He grabbed it and tossed it on the floor and then proceeded to ignore it completely while gazing out the window. Another attempt to place it back up there, and the same result. Grab and toss. Dirt on the floor.

Experiment: Failed.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Oh, and to the topic of hairballs, Nimbus hasn't had another one since that one week where I cleaned up a few...like maybe a total of 4 or 5.

Has anyone here ever had such a severe cough that you threw up? Had nothing to do with a stomach thing, just the spasms of coughing caused it?

I think that his frequent asthma attacks caused the hairballs, that they otherwise would have passed on through, but his insides were fatigued from the coughing, wheezing attacks and one of those spasms just caused it to happen. Now that we have him using the Flovent and his attacks have stopped, I'm not seeing any more of hairballs either.

His appetite is up though. Wonder if that's a side effect...?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Oh, and to the topic of hairballs, Nimbus hasn't had another one since that one week where I cleaned up a few...like maybe a total of 4 or 5.

Has anyone here ever had such a severe cough that you threw up? Had nothing to do with a stomach thing, just the spasms of coughing caused it?

I think that his frequent asthma attacks caused the hairballs, that they otherwise would have passed on through, but his insides were fatigued from the coughing, wheezing attacks and one of those spasms just caused it to happen. Now that we have him using the Flovent and his attacks have stopped, I'm not seeing any more of hairballs either.

His appetite is up though. Wonder if that's a side effect...?
Yes, that's happened to me a few times. Don't know about it as far as cats are concerned, but I know it's possible with humans. I actually coughed so violently one time that I threw my lower back out of place, believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats