Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Get the cat to the Vet asap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I hope by the time you read this, your cat has already been at the vets. What you described sure sounded like an emergency to me!

I was wondering if he could have gotten into something poisonous?

Please keep us posted!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Thank you everyone for your advice and concern. I just got home from the vet. I'll put this in detail in case it helps anyone else doing a search with similar symptoms.

When I woke up this morning, Silly (my cat) did urinate in his litter box. It wasn't that he couldn't urinate but that he didn't. That didn't surprise me much because he didn't eat or drink yesterday. His symptoms were lethargy, feeling hot, not pooping and throwing up four times on Sunday.

When I woke up today, he threw up only once. He actually appeared to be better. He had more energy (not fully) and was walking around. He still felt hot, though.

At the vet, his temperature was almost 104ºF. (Normal cat temp is around 102.5ºF.) So, the fever concerned them because it was higher than a normal cat fever. He's a shorthair domestic and weighs just under seven pounds, which she said was fine. I know he's been up to one pound heavier, though.

At the vet, he was perky and curious and you'd never have though anything was wrong with him. He was cuddling EVERYONE. After they took his temperature, he exhibited a little diarrhea, which concerned them, but not as much as the throwing up did, even though he threw up only once since the initial bout.

Because of his alertness and energy right now, the vet said she's comfortable treating him symptomatically. (Treating the symptoms of throwing up and diarrhea.) Silly can't have any food until at least 7pm tonight. Then he can have a tablespoon or two (if he'll eat it) of a canned food called "i/d" from Hills Prescription Diet. It's for gastrointestinal health. If he absolutely refuses to eat it (and Silly is very fussy about his food) then I can feed him his regular food.

They also gave me 14 oral syringes of Metronidazole to give him twice a day. It neutralizes the bad bacteria, etc., in his stomach and intestines. She gave him something for nausea but I don't remember the name of it. She also injected him (on his shoulders) with water because he hadn't been drinking anything. He took it well and looked like a linebacker!

This is his course of treatment right now. I'm to keep an eye on him for 48-72 hours. It will take about 48 hours for his stool to return to normal (once he begins eating). If he goes back to his regular self, everything is fine and no other treatment is necessary. If he throws up any more than once in the next day or so, he's to come back immediately for tests and X-rays and ultra-sounds. If it comes to that, she said it could be lymphoma (cancer). At which point, they'll have to put me down.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Hope he continues to do better, and nothing more is required. Sounds like he's in good hands.
Thanks for the update.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Thanks catdad7x. That's my prayer.

It was remarkable to see him in the vets office. Even though he wasn't feeling well, he loves people so much he just wanted to go and cuddle everyone he saw! He's that gentle and loving. The vet said he was a very easy cat to work with. Right now he's under my bed again, curled up on one of my t-shirts, resting after his adventure.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Im glad hes better

Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Please do keep us posted. We're rooting for both of you!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:46 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Glad he is doing better and please keep us updated..

Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM

I just gave Silly his first syringe of Metronidazole. He definitely didn't like it. At all. But, at least he didn't throw it up. Oh well, 13 more rounds of that to go. I put his new prescription food out an hour ago and he's not interested. As a matter of fact, since we've been home, he's back to being lethargic and moving around slowly. When he was at the vet, he was prancing around and greeting people! Since we've been home (almost seven hours), he went right back to moving in slow motion and staying under the bed.

I'd just feel better if he'd try to eat something.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
He does have to eat. Tempt him with anything.....tuna.....treats..............With 5 cats, I always keep Beechnut Baby food Chicken in Chicken broth in the house. Sooner or later one of them will be ailing......and I can jump start them to eating their regular food with the baby food.

Number one rule.............kitties have to eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats