Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM

169 posts, read 179,710 times

Advertisements

Happy first day of Spring!

We hope to move close to 2000 miles within the next 6-9 months, and are beginning prep work. We have 3 cats, 2 of which live happily together. The third is great with people, but is not fond of other cats, so he lives downstairs in the man cave (it's finished, my husband is down there a lot).

Has anyone used a pet relocation service and can provide feedback? We won't put them on a plane, but will be driving one vehicle and all three won't fit in the car in separate carriers. I've searched and found a couple of relocation services (not shippers or transporters) that will drive just our three cats in a minivan for us. The provide large carriers, will stay in touch 24/7, stay in a motel at night with the cats, etc. This seems like it would reduce stress as they will have enough space for a litter box and food/water in each carrier if they want or need it, plus they won't have to be jammed up against each other... especially with the one that's not a fan of the other two.

This kind of service is what we're looking for. Any experience out there you can share regarding relocation services?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
Happy first day of Spring!

We hope to move close to 2000 miles within the next 6-9 months, and are beginning prep work. We have 3 cats, 2 of which live happily together. The third is great with people, but is not fond of other cats, so he lives downstairs in the man cave (it's finished, my husband is down there a lot).

Has anyone used a pet relocation service and can provide feedback? We won't put them on a plane, but will be driving one vehicle and all three won't fit in the car in separate carriers. I've searched and found a couple of relocation services (not shippers or transporters) that will drive just our three cats in a minivan for us. The provide large carriers, will stay in touch 24/7, stay in a motel at night with the cats, etc. This seems like it would reduce stress as they will have enough space for a litter box and food/water in each carrier if they want or need it, plus they won't have to be jammed up against each other... especially with the one that's not a fan of the other two.

This kind of service is what we're looking for. Any experience out there you can share regarding relocation services?

Thank you!
Why not put them on a plane? A lot of people believe (incorrectly) that flying their pets is more stressful than shipping them by land. I disagree. As a human, I much prefer flying a few hours over driving 20+ hours, and I'm pretty sure your pets feel the same way. My Great Dane friends and myself have flown Great Dane puppies and adults many times safely via United's Petsafe program. It's an inexpensive way to fly your pets (Great Dane puppies cost approximately $250 to any state, no matter what the distance with you providing the kennel. The price varies according to kennel dimension), and it is quite safe. Sure, you will hear horror stories, but traveling long distance with pets entails risk, no matter what form of transport you choose. I truly believe flying them is the best and least stressful way to transport them. I have flown puppies as young as 8 weeks old all the way to California from TX, and some of my friends have even shipped dogs (and cats) overseas. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 AM

169 posts, read 179,710 times
Logistically flying the cats wouldn't work for us. We'll be driving one vehicle and it will take at least 2 days, possibly 3. If we put them on a plane there would be no one to pick them up.

Using a relocation service will get them there very close to when we do, so we can all arrive at a new place at pretty much the same time.

Has anyone used one of these relocation services and have feedback to share?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:17 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Never in a million years would I hand off my furkids to strangers.

I've moved cross country several times with multiple cats. They've all traveled quite nicely in their regular carriers.

And not all have gotten along with each other either.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Never in a million years would I hand off my furkids to strangers.

I've moved cross country several times with multiple cats. They've all traveled quite nicely in their regular carriers.

And not all have gotten along with each other either.
I agree. I've moved long distances twice with cats, and never had any problems.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 AM

11 posts, read 21,163 times
According to me, it will be safe for your kittens. They can do stress free travel bur make sure keep in touch with them 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats