Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM

422 posts, read 575,096 times

Advertisements

I've got a 7 and 3 year old. We went to the humane society and picked out a cat a few days ago. So far it's been a 100 percent success. My only concern is it had conjunctivitis when we bought it. It had apparently just developed it. We have eye ointment for it twice a day. I didn't even notice it had anything wrong with it. There's no redness or puss, it just looks really watery. It will blink the bad eye a few times, but not constantly. The medicine said to give it thru the 5th.

I should have asked more questions, but the girl at the humane society said it would be all better in a few days. The cat is super happy. I've been reading and apparently once it gets conjunctivitis it could have flare ups forever? The cat is 9 months old.

Any info on conjunctivitis? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
My cat DeuxDad has it. She also had a swollen lymph gland. We have been putting eye drops in daily and her eye is much better. The swelling is completely gone now after the antibiotic shot the vet gave her.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:10 PM

My cat has no swelling or redness. The eye occasionally just looks really watery.

I read if this is recurring, you can put lysine in their food as a supplement?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
I don't know, this is the first time she has ever been sick and she is 2 years old. She was a feral rescue. If it comes back I might try that.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
My cat has no swelling or redness. The eye occasionally just looks really watery.

I read if this is recurring, you can put lysine in their food as a supplement?

Yes, use pure l-lysine powder. 1/4 teaspoon a day, half in the morning meal half, in an evening meal.

Feed an all wet low carb diet.

After she or he (not "it") has been on the l-lysine for a while (6 months or so) with no outbreaks, you can reduce the dose to every other day and see how s/he goes. Resume the therapeutic dose if kitty has a flare-up.

Congratulations on your new family member! Remember, for optimal health and to avoid a lot of trips to the vet, feed an all wet low carb diet.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, use pure l-lysine powder. 1/4 teaspoon a day, half in the morning meal half, in an evening meal.

After she or he (not "it") has been on the l-lysine for a while (6 months or so) you can reduce the dose to every other day and she how she goes.

Congratulations on your new family member! Remember, for optimal health and to avoid a lot of trips to the vet, feed an all wet low carb diet.
He ate dry food at the humane society. I will assume that was due to it being cheaper. Is it OK to mix the food between dry and wet? I know meat is important, and dry foods can be the equivalent of humans eating fast food if it's not quality.

Only thing I am concerned with now is that he hasn't pooped yet. We brought him home yesterday at 3pm. He's drinking a ton of water. Maybe the medicine is keeping him from pooping but he is happy and doesn't appear constipated.

I just 10 minutes ago fed him some wet food for the first time. He attacked it and locked the bowl for a full minute after eating it all.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

After she or he (not "it") has been on the l-lysine for a while (6 months or so) with no outbreaks, you can reduce the dose to every other day and see how s/he goes. Resume the therapeutic dose if kitty has a flare-up.

We feed our girls wet and dry and they have "optimal health" and only go to the vet once a year to get their annual vaccinations; we do not have "lots of trips to the vet".

Orignal poster: Be sure to follow up with your Veterinarian regarding the eye issue with your new kitty.
Sometimes it takes more than one round of antibiotics to get rid of the infection and get an all clear for her continued health.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We feed our girls wet and dry and they have "optimal health" and only go to the vet once a year to get their annual vaccinations; we do not have "lots of trips to the vet".

Orignal poster: Be sure to follow up with your Veterinarian regarding the eye issue with your new kitty.
Sometimes it takes more than one round of antibiotics to get rid of the infection and get an all clear for her continued health.
Will do. I plan to take him in next week once the medicine is gone.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
ITA with CSD's comment about taking the cat in for a follow up with your regular vet.

There is a chance the weeping could be allergy related too.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 PM

How many times a day should a cat use the litter box? Right now it seems like he's only going 2-3 times a day. I moved the litter box from downstairs to upstairs. He would sprint at full speed out of the box when it was downstairs. I got the feeling he didn't like it. He's eating and drinking a lot of water. I just assumed he'd pee more. Maybe he's getting adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats