Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:56 PM

422 posts, read 574,996 times

Advertisements

[QUOT E=catsmom21;40046765]Yes, and that is one of the many reasons to keep a cat in, you don't have to put poisons on him to keep him parasite free. Depending of course where you live also.

The trick is to make a rich indoor environment for him. Lots of elevated spaces, scratching areas (a variety of shapes and surfaces), daily interactive play (teach the kids how to play with him properly) some sunny window ledges with a bird-feeder outside for Cat TV.

As for the weepy eye...are you giving him the l-lysine? Is the discharge just clear tears, or something heavier? Color?[/quote]

I ordered llysine. It's just colorless tears. No gunk or color. Looks like water. It almost seems like bright lights add to it because it's not like that at night.

We don't have any of those cat tower things, but we let him climb on anything he wants. I placed him on top of the fridge thinking he would like it, but no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:00 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
I placed him on top of the fridge thinking he would like it, but no
Your mistake was in "placing" him. Cats don't like to be .."placed"..they like to choose their own spots. Just make sure he has easy access to the top of the fridge and he'll get up there when he's ready.

With young children it's especially important that he have an elevated spot where he can get away from them when he wants. A high place in a quiet room, and also a high place in the area where you as a family spends most of your time.

Shelves on the wall can work, even.

The clear tears might just be a blocked tear duct, but watch it closely to make sure it doesn't turn into a discharge other than tears.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
He loves sitting in the living room watching the birds and squirrels outside. As much as he'd love to go outside I think it would be entertaining to watch him hunt a bird. I am going to keep him in because I know it's best, but both of us want him to go outside. How do people allow their cats out and get them to come back home?
Pet door. Cats LOVE more than anything to be free to enjoy the outside. It will become an indoor outdoor cat and you can get rid of the litter box!

Was it possibly an outdoor/indoor cat in it's other home? Cats are smart (dumbed down when made to live inside only) and they learn quickly when learning about the outdoors.

You can get a cat leash....(it might not like it). Take it out everyday and let it get familiar with where his house is.

Your cat will transform once he has his pet door and freedom. They come home every day. Mine loves to prowl at night...less humans around and all the night creature life is a world of fun and entertainment from him. He will sleep all day and hang outside all night. He loves it!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Even with a harness can't he easily get fleas and ticks?
Sure so you can put Advantage or Comfortis on the back of his neck and keep him protected for a month.

There are others but these work very well.

They will develop tape worms from flea bites.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Your mistake was in "placing" him. Cats don't like to be .."placed"..they like to choose their own spots. Just make sure he has easy access to the top of the fridge and he'll get up there when he's ready.

With young children it's especially important that he have an elevated spot where he can get away from them when he wants. A high place in a quiet room, and also a high place in the area where you as a family spends most of your time.

Shelves on the wall can work, even.

The clear tears might just be a blocked tear duct, but watch it closely to make sure it doesn't turn into a discharge other than tears.
Any way to clear the blockage, assuming it is one? Even if he was I'm pain he wouldn't show it, right ?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

Please don't ever consider getting rid of the litter boxes, no matter if a cat goes out or not. You want your cat to always toilet in the boxes. Keeping track of litter box habits is one of the most important ways to get early indication of illness.

Using poisons to protect the cat from fleas and other parasites is necessary if the cat goes out, but they ARE poisons. Much better to avoid using them if possible, and most indoor cats (again depending on where you live) do not need to be treated with them.

Fortunately you don't plan to let your boy out, if for no other reason than it would be devastating to your kids if anything should happen to him.

Keeping him in, keeping him entertained and exercised, feeding him a species appropriate diet, are all the best things you can do for him to have a long happy healthy life in your family.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Pet door. Cats LOVE more than anything to be free to enjoy the outside. It will become an indoor outdoor cat and you can get rid of the litter box!

Was it possibly an outdoor/indoor cat in it's other home? Cats are smart (dumbed down when made to live inside only) and they learn quickly when learning about the outdoors.

You can get a cat leash....(it might not like it). Take it out everyday and let it get familiar with where his house is.

Your cat will transform once he has his pet door and freedom. They come home every day. Mine loves to prowl at night...less humans around and all the night creature life is a world of fun and entertainment from him. He will sleep all day and hang outside all night. He loves it!
I don't know if he was an outside cat before, but due to his age I doubt it. I'm afraid if I give him a taste of outside he will be upset during winter here in the midwest. And it's obviously safer to keep him inside.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Any way to clear the blockage, assuming it is one? Even if he was I'm pain he wouldn't show it, right ?

A blocked tear duct doesn't cause any pain and it often will eventually go away by itself. Even if it doesn't, usually there really isn't anything to worry about.

One of my Bridge Angels had a blocked tear duct most of her life. It would flare up and her eye would leak tears, periodically, but it didn't cause her any distress and it never got any worse. When she was 11 she had a sarcoma (VAS, possibly) removed from her hip. The surgery went fine and recovery was uneventful, the cancer never returned, but somehow after the stitches were taken out she developed an abscess at the site. (I suspect hygiene at the vet was an issue) She had to be on massive antibiotics for about three weeks, it was a very bad infection, and after that she never had that leaky eye issue again, but it could have been coincidence, and it just spontaneously corrected.

I am not a vet, and if it concerns you by all means have the vet look at it. A different vet from the first one you tried, is my advice.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
How many times a day should a cat use the litter box? Right now it seems like he's only going 2-3 times a day. I moved the litter box from downstairs to upstairs. He would sprint at full speed out of the box when it was downstairs. I got the feeling he didn't like it. He's eating and drinking a lot of water. I just assumed he'd pee more. Maybe he's getting adjusted.
Don't move the litter box again. He needs time to adjust. Cats are especially spooked by changes, and figure he just got out of the shelter, so he will likely not be totally relaxed for a couple of weeks.

Just feed him and snuggle him alot...He will adjust. Have fun with your new pet.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know if he was an outside cat before, but due to his age I doubt it. I'm afraid if I give him a taste of outside he will be upset during winter here in the midwest. And it's obviously safer to keep him inside.
No he won't be upset with winter...he will just stay inside more due to the cold. The pet door allows them to come and go as they please. He will come in if it's too cold for him.

Cat's are not dumb and are natural born hunters. They know how to keep out of harms way. I had a cat that lived with me for 25 years. He loved his outdoor life. Never was harmed and I lived in the 4th largest city in the US at the time close to a bayou where there are all kinds of critters.

I have a new cat (came from a shelter as a 6 month old). His now 2 and has learned the ropes of the outside world...he loves it and it's good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats