Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,026,702 times

Advertisements

Bennie and Smudge had their first annual checkup today. Perfect says the vet - except for the gingivitis in Bennie's back teeth area. Smudge is 10.6 pounds and Bennie is 10.4 lbs. Just the opposite where they were as babies - with Bennie slightly heavier. No wonder...........he's rarely still......where Smudge is very laid back- statue-like.

Geesh....he's only 15 mos old. Smudge's gums were fine.

So now I have a 7 lb pack of Royal Canin Dental - dry of course. It will only be "treat" food....and not a lot of it per day. They are big pieces.......and have to be munched. None of this swallowing hole. They are easily munchable. I can break them with my fingers.

And a tube of cat toothpaste. Well.......Bennie has already picked out his toothbrush........the green one from my electric toothbrush set.......he likes to chew on it.

I'm going to brush by hand of course......lol...........how long I wonder to you have to brush? I looked at youtube (at vet's suggestion). HA! talk about non-cooperative kitties! I'd rather brush then let them eat what I consider to be crap food.

It's not easy being a CatMom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,047,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Bennie and Smudge had their first annual checkup today. Perfect says the vet - except for the gingivitis in Bennie's back teeth area.

So now I have a 7 lb pack of Royal Canin Dental - dry of course.
Don't be misled that any kibble is good for their teeth. Try getting them on a good canned food. My cats range in age between 3 and 6 yrs old. All have nice clean teeth and gums.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health explains a lot about feeding cats and is run by a Lic Veterinarian.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Don't be misled that any kibble is good for their teeth. Try getting them on a good canned food. My cats range in age between 3 and 6 yrs old. All have nice clean teeth and gums.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health explains a lot about feeding cats and is run by a Lic Veterinarian.
They DO eat a high quality canned diet........and very low carbs..........less than 3%.

But I didn't ask about food.........I asked about tooth brushing.......

He does like the toothpaste.....and he's been walking around the house with his toothbrush in his mouth.

I've had 20 year old cats with beautiful teeth.. ate everything.........and another orange and white boy who had terrible teeth.......no matter what. Had his first extractions at 18 mos.

I don't want a repeat with my current orange and white boy.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,470,595 times
I brush my cats' teeth and it's a chore. I try to do it at least every day. They like the toothpaste, and will lick it off my fingers, but they do not like to be held in my lap for tooth brushing. I need two more hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I'm going to brush by hand of course......lol...........how long I wonder to you have to brush?
As long as they'll let you.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 PM

5,010 posts, read 601,888 times
Brush his teeth?....good lord Alfie won't even let me brush his fur

Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,952,223 times
You may have to order this online, but my favorite cat toothbrush is the one made by C.E.T. It is short and sort of curved and works well to reach the back teeth. Here is an Amazon link: Amazon.com : C.E.T Cat Toothbrush : Pet Toothbrushes : Pet Supplies

As for toothpaste, IME poultry flavored is better liked by cats. I start with giving them a tiny dab of toothpaste for them to lick, then slowly progress more each day (touching a tooth with toothpaste). Then put a little on the brush and let them lick it off.

I've tried those "finger" toothbrushes but have found that cats think you are trying to pill or gag them. The C.E.T. one is smaller and they don't mind it as much.

I've never thought about how many seconds I spend brushing. I just try to do the best I can and figure it's better than doing nothing.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 AM

5,862 posts, read 5,319,989 times
I know I should but I don't. Electra had gum issues in her younger days. She ended up losing a few teeth because of it. She has such a catitude and won't even let me LOOK at her mouth and if I tried to clean them, OH MAN...what a nightmare. She doesn't like to be brushed and it is a chore to trim her claws. And she bites. I can't tell you how many times she has bitten me when I was just petting her. The other two, I haven't even tried.

Cat

Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,623,484 times
it's really hard.. harder for the small-mouthed cats.. but you really got to try
once in a while. thanks for reminding me to do it. been a long time.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,649,562 times
It's a good idea, but I've never had a cat that would let me do it. I'm really lucky to be able to trim their claws.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM

He likes to chew on his toothbrush and carry it around with him. But it's HIS idea. If it's my idea..........well you know how that goes.

So this morning as he was busy digging a q-tip from the waste basket........I thought I'd start with a q-tip first. A clean one, of course.

Worked to a certain extent......as I didn't have to force his mouth open and I was able to "brush" the left upper and lowers. I'll try the right side tonight.

Bennie's fairly easy going. If it were up to him.....he'd be permanently attached to my left hip... except when he wants to play flying squirrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats