Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,344,116 times

Advertisements

I recently spent almost 2 grand on his milk teeth, they were really bad. Now he's growing the real ones and he doesn't brush. I am tired of telling him to brush them the minute he hets up but his excuse is: "Oh, I forgot"

I am getting really frustrated since I just don't know what to do. I offered him an allowance and that didn't work. I told him I would take away his video games and nothing, I told him I wouldn't let him out to play outside and nothing. What can I do? Any suggestions?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:58 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
GO into the bathroom with him and make him do it... I don't think brushing your teeth at eight is something that warrents an allowance... it is something they should be doing regardless... They have that rinse you can buy that shows the grime on your teeth so you can see where you aren't brushing...buy that and show him the damage... At a young age I told my children about "sugar bugs" that eat holes in your teeth... they reside in the sugars of foods you eat and hang out on your teeth until you brush them trying to nibble.... They brush after every meal. I used SUGAR BUGS because they aren't going to understand plaque at a small age... maybe you need to actually explain to him how you get a cavity...

Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
GO into the bathroom with him and make him do it... I don't think brushing your teeth at eight is something that warrents an allowance... it is something they should be doing regardless... They have that rinse you can buy that shows the grime on your teeth so you can see where you aren't brushing...buy that and show him the damage... At a young age I told my children about "sugar bugs" that eat holes in your teeth... they reside in the sugars of foods you eat and hang out on your teeth until you brush them trying to nibble.... They brush after every meal. I used SUGAR BUGS because they aren't going to understand plaque at a small age... maybe you need to actually explain to him how you get a cavity...

Thanks for your input. I have been there/done that actually standing next to him in the bathroom watching him do it. But when I am not home he "forgets" to brush.
I tried to encourage him to do it by offering the allowance since everything else failed. I just don't want to be mean to him because it probably may backfire.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
they have a new type of tooth brush that plays music--maybe he will enjoy that. the song is 2 minutes long and you are supposed to brush for at least the span of the song--its worth a try!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Maybe get him an electric toothbrush. My boys are like theirs, I guess I should say "battery operated." The other option is you tell him if he doesn't you will brush them for him. I have an almost 8 yr old but he is pretty good about brushing but even more so now that he got his new toothbrush.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
Do what health teachers do with teenagers. Show him pictures of what could happen if he doesn't take care of his teeth.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Routine, routine and more routine. It may take a while but just like with anything else, even when training animals---it's about routine. Same time same place! Go in and stand with him, brush your teeth at the same time. An electric toothbrush might make it better if only for the fact that they tend to clean better! If you are not at home to do this then have whoever is at home with your son do it with him!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM

I am off to work at 4 am so it is impossible to be there and make him do it. On my days off I actually wait for him to be up and take him to bathroom myself, it is only on the days I am working.
He has one of those fancy battery operated toothbrush for kids. He's at home with the grandparents and they're usually up by noon meanwhile he's up around 9 to 10 am, the time me and my wife are at work.
What if I tell his friends to make comments in front of him about how they all brush their teeth and how much fun it is? Will that be a good idea?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,952,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I recently spent almost 2 grand on his milk teeth, they were really bad. Now he's growing the real ones and he doesn't brush. I am tired of telling him to brush them the minute he hets up but his excuse is: "Oh, I forgot"

I am getting really frustrated since I just don't know what to do. I offered him an allowance and that didn't work. I told him I would take away his video games and nothing, I told him I wouldn't let him out to play outside and nothing. What can I do? Any suggestions?
I have a 16 year old with braces, and I get the same response as your 8 year old. Welcome to the fun of "I don't want to do it, so I won't remember" club! lol Aside from lifting him by his shirt and putting him against the wall, I've tried just about everything else as he's grown up. I'm trying the vanity thing now since he's starting to notice girls and clean up more ("Dang... when you got to the mall, do you want them smelling your breath like that?")

By the way... it's not working either!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,290 times
Perhaps his thinking is, hey they look clean enough. Why do I need to bother? Perhaps you can get some of those red, plaque-seeking tablets from your dentist. Have him chew one and then smile in the mirror. His new challenge will be to get the red out.

Every morning, after breakfast, he can chew another one, then get the red out. If nothing else, if he walks around all day with the red stains, people will comment (or at least stare) and maybe that'll get on his nerves.

I'd image it will be easier once school resumes and he can have a more routine morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting