Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM

936 posts, read 2,074,960 times

Advertisements

so two nights ago i noticed my cat wasnt immediately gobbling up her night time meal as she ALWAYS does so I thought it was a little weird. Then yesterday morning I woke up and saw it appears she had about 1/4 of it and found two vomit stains on my carpet.

As far as I could tell, she didnt eat anything until Last night, I tried to feed her some dry food (she normally eats wet) to see if that would get her to eat because she wasn't touching her wet food, and she ate maybe 4 or 5 bites, so far it appears she has held that down.

I'm debating either taking her to the vet today if we can get her in, or waiting to see if she doesnt vomit at all today and has her appetite back when I'm home from work. My question is, do you think it's safe to wait or is she in some sort of immediate danger? She is acting pretty normal as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM

2,979 posts, read 3,953,708 times
Why don't you try to make an appointment for later in the day? If you get home and she's eating again, you can cancel the appointment.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,752,950 times
I really hate it when an animal stops eating or drinking. With people, even if they don't have an appetite, they understand the importance of getting calories. Animals don't have this understanding and aren't going to eat if they don't feel like it. It's so upsetting.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,028,871 times
I second Rene S. Make a vet appointment for today. 24+ hours of not eating well and including vomiting is a long time for a cat.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,284,958 times
Better be safe than sorry. Make the appointment. One thing if kitty won't eat due to an upset tummy, another if she vomited after trying to take in food.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,441,377 times
You didn't say how old your cat is, but it doesn't matter that much. I would err on the side of caution and take her to the vet. Might be a good idea to have a blood panel run. A sudden loss of appetite is a pretty good indication that something is wrong. Hopefully it's nothing serious..... good luck.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 PM

she will be 10 in january.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,441,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
she will be 10 in january.
Yeah, my bad.... missed the header. Even more reason to do a senior blood panel.
Best wishes to you for a good result.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,082,532 times
I would take her to the vet. It's the only way to know what's going on.

Cats are so curious in that they often don't let us know that they are not feeling good until it's very bad. They accommodate for things, and seem to have a high threshold for pain or injury. So by the time they do start doing something that shows us they are not themselves, or that they are not feeling 100%... it is usually best to take it seriously and take them to the vet.

Also - has your cat ever had a dental? If not, it could be a sore tooth or something like that... most cats need to have a good dental cleaning done every so often, the vet will know how often for your cat. We have one cat who is 14 and has never had one because he is like a supercat who never has any issues. But we have another cat who seems to need his teeth cleaned every 5 years... even though they eat the same foods and live in the same house, etc. Just genetics I suppose.

Anyway - please update and let us know how your cat is doing. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I would take her to the vet. It's the only way to know what's going on.

Cats are so curious in that they often don't let us know that they are not feeling good until it's very bad. They accommodate for things, and seem to have a high threshold for pain or injury. So by the time they do start doing something that shows us they are not themselves, or that they are not feeling 100%... it is usually best to take it seriously and take them to the vet.

Also - has your cat ever had a dental? If not, it could be a sore tooth or something like that... most cats need to have a good dental cleaning done every so often, the vet will know how often for your cat. We have one cat who is 14 and has never had one because he is like a supercat who never has any issues. But we have another cat who seems to need his teeth cleaned every 5 years... even though they eat the same foods and live in the same house, etc. Just genetics I suppose.

Anyway - please update and let us know how your cat is doing. Good luck.
i dont think dental health would cause her to vomit her food? anyway i made an appointment, they cant get her in until tomorrow morning, i came home from work and she hasnt eaten still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats