Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, I do separate laundry, and clean the filter every load, and a lot of cat hair does come off, but some always seems to cling. Maybe its just the materials? I notice it clings most to socks, that microfiber stuff---I don't buy that anymore--anything knit, like knit shirts, etc. Oh, well.....and we do groom the cats with a furminator. A ton of fur comes off with that!

Perhaps its the cats' fur itself? They are all getting old 10-12 years, perhaps their fur has changed into something less manageable? They were also forever yakking up hairballs, until I started grooming them every day, and changed their diet, also give them Omega-3 supplements.
With the socks, you aren't washing them inside out are you? If you wash them inside out all the hair that accumulated will not be able to get sucked up by the dryer because the hair on the outside will instead be on the inside of the sock, insulated from any suction in the dryer. To a lesser extent that may be true for other clothes as well. With certain clothing like jeans, it's preferable to wash inside-out, but that's a luxury I don't have as a cat owner. I'm sure washing clothing outside out causes it to get worn out faster but oh well.

If that's not the problem, is it just cat hair that lingers or lint in general? It seems weird that the dryer would pick up lint but not cat hair. If it's sucking up neither, there may be a problem with the filter or something else that you may need to get checked. Normally the dryer does a pretty good job at removing the cat hair, and it's a pretty crummy and old dryer in my apartment complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 08:42 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
My similar problem is the cat hair stuck to my bedsheets.
Drives me crazy! Try a lint roller with sticky tape. Can buy 'em for $3. You will be amazed at what it picks up! I get practically enough fur to create a new cat, yet with the naked eye, the bedsheets look fine.
Another suggestion, clean dryer filter religiously. And wash anything fur-laden on it.s own.
But beware, if u have OCD, do not buy a lint roller with sticky tape because it is kinda creepy, that blanket all fresh and clean has a network of cat fur on it.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 PM

80 posts, read 72,636 times
I've given this up a LONG, LONG time ago.
I tried laundry, or scotch tapes and other strongly sticky tapes.
When it's just a t-shirt, tapes work fine.
but if it's a towel, wool, or anything else - it's game over.
I just don't let them go near the closet room.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
We have nine cats in the family.

If I want to avoid looking like a walking fur ball, I have to wear light colored clothes.

There is still the same amount of hair on me, it just doesn't show as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats