Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I grew up in one of the most sterile cities in the country, Rochester, MN, with their famous Mayo Clinic, where it wouldn't surprise me if they cleaned the sidewalks with Pine Sol every night. I really think it does something to someone living in an environment like that, like when they travel somewhere and experience a more normal city, for a change, like some litter on the streets, and some hairs out of place.

All is hidden, and don't let your curiosities lead you to their mammoth, stinking landfills!!!

Over time, I've come to appreciate being in cities with lots of hairs out place, because they seem so much more natural to me, and I see the beauty in it, and I can relax more. It makes me uptight being in a city like San Diego, it all seems too unnaturally perfect to me, until I throw a candy wrapper on one of their sidewalks!

And you? Being in cities with few, if any, hairs out of place, that doesn't disturb you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:02 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Clean cities are the way it's suppose to be if everyone was doing their part. That's why your confused.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM

137 posts, read 220,450 times
I think so, cities like DC, Houston, Charlotte, pretty much any city in Florida, etc. Are very cookie cutter, look bland and town centers that look like outdoor malls, not my cup of tea.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Not sure what this means, NYC smells like, ****, garbage, and old sweaty gym socks. I would love it if there wasn't trash all over the streets here.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
I think so, cities like DC, Houston, Charlotte, pretty much any city in Florida, etc. Are very cookie cutter, look bland and town centers that look like outdoor malls, not my cup of tea.
What?

DC is anything but bland. Has real "town centers" such as Dupont, Capitol Hill, Eastern Market etc. etc. Hell, just about every metro stop in DC is a "town center" that resembles nothing like a mall. Have you even been to DC?

Houston has unbelievable amounts of rundown, frankly scary looking, neighborhoods. And much of the rest of it is a series of ugly strip malls.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 AM

406 posts, read 501,508 times
I don't think it's psychologically unhealthy, I think both types of places are really cool and provide the type of place for an individual based on what they're looking for.

Kind of like how I think this clean and "futuristic looking" entry into clean downtown Miami is just as cool as this old school narrow urban block in NYC. Some people would feel more comfortable in the former, some would be more comfortable in the latter. Personally I think that they're both awesome in their own ways, but this is my type of "city" neighborhood....nice and clean lol.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
San Diego and Irvine are the most sterile places I have ever been. SD is sprawl on steroids. Where not even the most poor and desperate dare to walk or take transit, because it doesn't exist. The traffic congestion is unimaginable. And Irvine is just one big office park. It gives me a headache to drive through them. I don't know how people can live in such places for long without losing their minds.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What?

DC is anything but bland. Has real "town centers" such as Dupont, Capitol Hill, Eastern Market etc. etc. Hell, just about every metro stop in DC is a "town center" that resembles nothing like a mall. Have you even been to DC?
I wouldn't call DC bland, just non-distinctive.

I also don't see why cleanliness and urbanity have to be mutually exclusive.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Probably. I heard of a guy who grew up in Northbrook IL, a suburb of Chicago that is like that. Never even had to mow the lawn until he moved away in his 30's. Being sheltered from the things most have to go through is not healthy.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
San Diego and Irvine are the most sterile places I have ever been. SD is sprawl on steroids. Where not even the most poor and desperate dare to walk or take transit, because it doesn't exist. The traffic congestion is unimaginable. And Irvine is just one big office park. It gives me a headache to drive through them. I don't know how people can live in such places for long without losing their minds.
I have only one use for San Diego: the airport, and the light rail train that runs from DT San Diego to Tijuana, which carries lots of poor people, who can't afford to live in San Diego. If they had direct flights from Las Vegas to Tijuana, I could escape all that sterility/futurism entirely!

Once, in Tijuana, I can really relax and enjoy lots of hairs out of place, a far more natural city to explore and spend time in. Those rattle-trap public buses, I've ridden them there, they're fun to ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning