Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Thank you all for your advice. She will definitely be an indoor cat, except for her screened in porch. The Humane Society will microchip her when they spay her. Her first Vet visit is set (she's the same Vet my brother uses and he says she's really good with cats).
Good human. Have a treat. Now go lie down and don't throw up on the carpet.

Speaking of "kitty bombs", don't forget the cat grass. It really does reduce tummy upset. (Or you can resign yourself to never walking around barefoot in the house again. Your call.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
My only advice, other than congrats, is related to the microchip (we opted not to get our cat done yrs ago). I really worry re cancer, etc. as a side effect even down the road, due to this chip. I know a worry wort, I am here, but better safe than sorry. And especially b/c it'll be indoors -- not really at huge risk to run away.

Risk vs assessment of the real need, seems to error on the side of caution. Remember this; if it works out safely, it is ok. But if not, you can NEVER take back the chip process in the cat. I'd rather see more research yet to define the real safety benefit/risk profile despite what a vet will say. They make money on these too, albeit not alot, but this is another way to add to the bill.

Just FYI & IMHO.

Either way, best wishes to you & your kitty.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
As already said, that advice is primarily if you have other animals in the home that the new one needs time to get used to. As she will be an only cat (at least for now), it shouldn't be necessary to isolate her. Bring her home, open the carrier, and let her explore and get acclimated in her own time. She may be a bit reclusive at first, or not, but will eventually become comfortable and claim her new domain, and you.

You've come to the right place for any questions you may have. Most everyone here are devoted cat lovers with a lot of knowledge and experience to share. If you have questions about something, this is the place to ask.

Congratulations on adopting your new furkid, and welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a cat.

^^^^^ This is correct. I commend you for wanting to do all the right things, but this isn't rocket science. Just bring your new roommate home, open the carrier, and let her explore, as catdad said. She will be a little groggy from the spaying, so let her heal for a few days. She will be a little sore.

We pretty much let our 3 have the run of the house, except for my Sons room, he likes to keep it hair free. Otherwise, they choose where they like to sleep and hang out. Right now Chewy is sleeping on my computer desk in front of me, Lucky is sacked out on my bed, and Daisy is rubbing against my legs. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Cats love toys and catnip. They also love it when you get down on the floor and hang out at their level. A comfy bed, a lot of water and some treats, and she will be in Heaven. Thank you for saving a little life and giving her a forever home. You will be the main beneficiary of this arrangement, cats are just so cool and so much fun.

BTW, we LOVE PICTURES, lots of pictures. Make sure you post some up when she comes "home".

Don

PS, and yes, a second kitty is sometimes a good thing, but not always. Some cats love company, others like solitude.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post

Speaking of "kitty bombs", don't forget the cat grass. It really does reduce tummy upset. (Or you can resign yourself to never walking around barefoot in the house again. Your call.)
Actually if you feed a species appropriate diet there will be no cause for "tummy upset" or puking so it will be a non issue.

Puking is not normal in cats, it is caused by poor diet.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Actually if you feed a species appropriate diet there will be no cause for "tummy upset" or puking so it will be a non issue.

Puking is not normal in cats, it is caused by poor diet.
Yep, I don't know how to feed my cats.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
My only advice, other than congrats, is related to the microchip (we opted not to get our cat done yrs ago). I really worry re cancer, etc. as a side effect even down the road, due to this chip. I know a worry wort, I am here, but better safe than sorry. And especially b/c it'll be indoors -- not really at huge risk to run away.

Risk vs assessment of the real need, seems to error on the side of caution. Remember this; if it works out safely, it is ok. But if not, you can NEVER take back the chip process in the cat. I'd rather see more research yet to define the real safety benefit/risk profile despite what a vet will say. They make money on these too, albeit not alot, but this is another way to add to the bill.

Just FYI & IMHO.

Either way, best wishes to you & your kitty.
I've had bits of metal and other junk in me since 1970 and there's never been any cancer related to that. The chips won't cause cancer. Getting lost is far more dangerous. Chips the pets you want to see again if they get away from home.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
I've had bits of metal and other junk in me since 1970 and there's never been any cancer related to that. The chips won't cause cancer. Getting lost is far more dangerous. Chips the pets you want to see again if they get away from home.
Actually, I worry more about vaccinations causing cancer than microchips. Humans, and animals, get metal stuck in them all the time (shots, blood work, etc.) and it's fine as long as they are sterile.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:57 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:

A healthy cat does not have "tummy upset". I have 2 cats, and neither one leaves "kitty bombs". They don't eat cat grass, either.

They DO eat wet/raw food, though.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
A healthy cat does not have "tummy upset". I have 2 cats, and neither one leaves "kitty bombs". They don't eat cat grass, either.

They DO eat wet/raw food, though.
I've had several that do that over the past fifty years. Most of them lived past 15, so I wasn't worried about them. When TeTe barfs it's usually hair balls. The grass stops that.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Meet Regina. I went to visit her at the Humane Society today. She comes home tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
New Cat Owner-regina-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats