Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times

Advertisements

All those facts I've posted about declawing (previous posts in this thread I mean) are things that vets know. Vets know these things but they do it anyway because it generates an enormous profit.

A vet surgical specialty had to be invented, it's called Paw Repair Surgery. It was invented by Dr Jenifer Conrad, founder of The Paw Project, which is a documentary you need to watch before you have this terrible thing done to Speck.

If you have the stomach for it. You can read about their work here. And the cats they post about are just a drop in the bucket.

https://www.facebook.com/NewLeaseVets/

You can also look up City the Kitty Advocate for Animals and of course The Paw Project.

The Truth About Declawing - Technical Facts About Declawing - Declawing.com

Canadian Veterinary Medical Association's stance on Declawing:

https://www.canadianveterinarians.ne...tion-statement

Behavior study on declawed cats (2016):

https://summer2016.iaabcjournal.org/...declawed-cats/

International Cat Care position on declawing of cats:

https://icatcare.org/declawing-cats

New evidence: Declawing linked to aggression and other abnormal behaviors:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-dlt052317.php

Pain and adverse behaviors in declawed cats (2017)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28534655

More vets are coming out every year against this practice and refusing to do it. City the Kitty and The Paw Project both have lists of vets who do not declaw in each state, and in Canada.

A few vets and their opinions

https://www.drmartybecker.com/veteri...eeps-mounting/

Anti-Declawing Handbook for Cat Lovers | Little Big Cat

Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
There are tips that can be put on. My Aunt declawed one cat, who ended up with so many problems he had to be put to sleep. I begged her not to declaw another one, explaining why, so she got these tips and they are GREAT! 'Soft paws' I think is the name of them.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
There are tips that can be put on. My Aunt declawed one cat, who ended up with so many problems he had to be put to sleep. I begged her not to declaw another one, explaining why, so she got these tips and they are GREAT! 'Soft paws' I think is the name of them.
Claw caps like soft paws are useful for training. Not meant for long term use of course, and certainly better than amputating a kitten or cat's toes, they can be helpful during training.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Claw caps like soft paws are useful for training. Not meant for long term use of course, and certainly better than amputating a kitten or cat's toes, they can be helpful during training.
Do you know the name of the ones that are used long term? My Aunt has hers redone all the time with no negative results.

Oddly, it was my idea but that was years ago. I scrambled on the internet to find any alternative to mutilation .

Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Do you know the name of the ones that are used long term? My Aunt has hers redone all the time with no negative results.

Oddly, it was my idea but that was years ago. I scrambled on the internet to find any alternative to mutilation .
The reason I say they are not meant for long term use is because cats need to scratch. It is an essential part of being a cat, they scratch for exercise, for both physical and mental well being.

Long term use is certainly better than permanent amputations, but it still deprives the cat of the ability to use scratching for exercise and mental health.

Scratching, because of the way a cat is put together, exercises all parts of the cat. It's a necessary activity.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The reason I say they are not meant for long term use is because cats need to scratch. It is an essential part of being a cat, they scratch for exercise, for both physical and mental well being.

Long term use is certainly better than permanent amputations, but it still deprives the cat of the ability to use scratching for exercise and mental health.

Scratching, because of the way a cat is put together, exercises all parts of the cat. It's a necessary activity.
I get that. But they can still flex and stretch their nails. And virtually anything is better than mutilation.

Especially when it won't even resolve anything related to fungal or staph infections, which is the given reason!

Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I get that. But they can still flex and stretch their nails. And virtually anything is better than mutilation.

Especially when it won't even resolve anything related to fungal or staph infections, which is the given reason!
Yes, to all of the above. xx

Old 10-25-2017, 06:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,532,604 times
I had one cat declawed when I was young and did not truly understand what I was doing to that cat. Afterward, she began urinating all over the house and would live on the dining room table. I took her to a vet who explained that, she was an anxious cat who, before had her claws to defend herself against real or imagined threats. When I took away her claws, she was essentially terrified. We tried medications to calm her to no avail. She was terrified of the other cat in our house (her son) and eventually I gave her to a woman who promised she would be the only animal in her home. She did adjust there. But, I will always regret my stupidity. Sorry to be so blunt but, you are not "declawing" your cat. You are maiming him. I would rehome the cat before I would ever declaw another one.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:34 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Of all the boards I have participated in, I have enjoyed the Cat forums the most. I love sharing and reading cat stories with you guys. Unfortunately, this post likely will **** my friends off, and I understand. But I hope that it provides clarity for others.

I made the decision to declaw Speck next week. I have struggled with it for a couple of weeks. In the past, it didn't bother me, but as I have become more educated about declawing over the years, I see that action as a last resort.

Some of you may remember my posts about both Speck and my fungalinfections. Both were misdiagnosed, both developed staph. Speck almost lost his tail. I wasn't close to losing my hand, but it took almost 3 months to heal and it was very painful. My 17 year old daughter also experienced a nasty fungal infection due to Speck's scratches. However, due to both Speck's and my experiences, it was more easily treatable.

Speck loves to play. He is as delicate as a 5 month old cat can be. I trim his claws every 10 days. He will even extend his claws so I can trim them. It's amazing.

However, due to both me and my daughter's extreme sensitivity to his claws, I have decided to declaw Speck. My vet only performs laser surgery after a consultation. My vet was already aware of my health issues and there was no hesitation on his part.

As I researched the various methods of declawing, I was concerned with the animosity between the two camps. One common comment was that, and I paraphrase, "if you have to declaw your cat, you shouldn't have a cat". That is hurtful to me. I have provided cats wonderful homes for 25 years. Those of you that have seem my Speck videos know that I love this little guy. Had I not rescued him from drowning and/or being run over when he was just 4 weeks old, he would likely be dead.

So my question for both sides... Is Speck better off with claws intact and likely dead, or declawed with a friend and family that loves him dearly.
Find out what's causing the infections and treat that.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,554,916 times
I read somewhere once about somebody who saw a cougar in a zoo that had been declawed. The declawing was so painful the cougar had to walk around on its wrists to avoid even more pain.

Really dumb decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats