Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 AM

20,861 posts, read 9,527,489 times

Advertisements

Wow that's a long time!

Good story demonstrating the benefits of microchipping!

Cat missing for 14 years reunited with owner at Humane Society of the Treasure Coast
Quote:
Have you ever wondered what 14 years equals in cat years?

(Hint: It's a really long time.)

For an orange tabby named Thomas Jr. — T2 for short — it's about 72 years, the time it's been since he last saw his owner, Perry Martin, of Fort Pierce.

But because of a tiny microchip, T2 was reunited with Martin last week at the Humane Society of the Treasure Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
I can almost guarantee you that T2 was taken in by someone, and probably had a home for most of that 14 years. Perhaps whoever was taking care of him died or something else happened to put him on the street. A cat his age likely would not have survived for very long on the outside. Certainly not 14 years. Glad he's back with his human that will make sure his remaining time is happy & comfortable.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Happy story....thanks for posting

Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times
This is wonderful. Look how content the kitty is in the guy's lap.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:56 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,922,669 times
This is amazing. I agree with catdad in saying he likely was taken in by someone for all or most of that time, and perhaps that person died or became ill, and he was dropped off at a shelter and was scanned.

I know there is some controversy about microchips, but all of our cats are chipped.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
This is amazing. I agree with catdad in saying he likely was taken in by someone for all or most of that time, and perhaps that person died or became ill, and he was dropped off at a shelter and was scanned.

I know there is some controversy about microchips, but all of our cats are chipped.
I've heard there are concerns about chip migration, and that not everyone knows how to properly scan for one. I confess that neither one of my girls has a chip, but that's mainly procrastination on my part. That and they have little interest in the outside world now (). Certainly cost isn't a factor, so for those with little escape artists it's surely the thing to do.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Why is there a concern about micro chips? I've never heard of this before.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Why is there a concern about micro chips? I've never heard of this before.
Among those I've heard.............

Too invasive. People don't want foreign objects implanted in their pets. (?)

Too expensive. (it isn't, really)

Too much trouble to update. (poor excuse since everyone has a smartphone now)

The authorities, government, FBI, CIA, Martians, will track your every move, know everything about you, and your tin-foil hat won't help because it won't stay on the animal.

Ok, no.4 is maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek. But the others are actually ones I heard people say.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Among those I've heard.............

Too invasive. People don't want foreign objects implanted in their pets. (?)

Too expensive. (it isn't, really)

Too much trouble to update. (poor excuse since everyone has a smartphone now)

The authorities, government, FBI, CIA, Martians, will track your every move, know everything about you, and your tin-foil hat won't help because it won't stay on the animal.

Ok, no.4 is maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek. But the others are actually ones I heard people say.
That's actually funny. Do those people that object realize it may be the only thing that reunites them with their cat or dog? Maybe it's not all that important to them if they can't spend $20 to microchip their pet.
Micro chipping is also legal proof that the animal belongs to you in case they are stolen.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's actually funny. Do those people that object realize it may be the only thing that reunites them with their cat or dog? Maybe it's not all that important to them if they can't spend $20 to microchip their pet.
Micro chipping is also legal proof that the animal belongs to you in case they are stolen.
I know, and I totally agree with you. Just pointing out some things I've heard people say. I think some folks just don't place a high priority on matters concerning their pets. So it's hard for you & I to fathom their reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats