Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I've heard there are concerns about chip migration, and that not everyone knows how to properly scan for one. I confess that neither one of my girls has a chip, but that's mainly procrastination on my part. That and they have little interest in the outside world now (). Certainly cost isn't a factor, so for those with little escape artists it's surely the thing to do.
It's a good idea to have your vet scan for the chip every year.

One of my cats, Katie, had her chip end up almost in her armpit.

Even KNOWING she was chipped, the vet had a VERY hard time finding it.....another vet or shelter would have never found it.

My vet put in a new chip in the proper place free of charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:28 AM

911 posts, read 262,467 times
Very nice story

Im glad he is home!!!

Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Why is there a concern about micro chips? I've never heard of this before.
I've also read that there can be cancers caused by either the chip or by the injection site. Not sure if this is legit or not.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I've also read that there can be cancers caused by either the chip or by the injection site. Not sure if this is legit or not.
Might be, but how much, I don't know. Anytime a foreign object is placed inside a living body, there will always be a chance for (at a minimum) an infection if preventative protocols aren't followed properly. Cancers... I wouldn't think so unless toxic metals (?) were leak out somehow. Chips have been around for a while, and if toxic issues were going arise, I think we would be hearing about it by now.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Among those I've heard.............

Too invasive. People don't want foreign objects implanted in their pets. (?)

Too expensive. (it isn't, really)

Too much trouble to update. (poor excuse since everyone has a smartphone now)

The authorities, government, FBI, CIA, Martians, will track your every move, know everything about you, and your tin-foil hat won't help because it won't stay on the animal.

Ok, no.4 is maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek. But the others are actually ones I heard people say.
It used to be expensive (I paid $200 for a dog many years ago), but not anymore. Some might find the cost at their vet prohibitive. I'm going to a discount place that offers for $20. Shelters offer them cheap too.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Very nice story

Im glad he is home!!!
Yes!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:26 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
It looks like we found out how this cat survived all that time - someone, indeed, took care of the cat after he got lost.

Stuart family cared for missing cat eventually reunited with owner after 14 years
Quote:
"Come here! It's our cat!"

Lisa Wadsworth rushed to the TV and couldn't believe her eyes.

But there he was — Thomas Jr., T2 for short — curled up on the lap of his owner, Fort Pierce resident Perry Martin, after the two had been reunited after 14 years. The cat went missing in Stuart after Hurricane Jeanne.

It was the happy ending Wadsworth was hoping for, as unbelievable as it was.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:30 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It looks like we found out how this cat survived all that time - someone, indeed, took care of the cat after he got lost.

Stuart family cared for missing cat eventually reunited with owner after 14 years
Actually it only covers a few weeks before he was reunited with his human, not the whole 14 years he was gone. But wherever he was he must have been well cared for to live this long. Nice story anyway.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 PM

911 posts, read 262,467 times
Its interesting this kitty was missing SO LONG with a chip implanted........ Its kinda sad no one thought to check for one earlier

Old 04-09-2018, 06:49 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Actually it only covers a few weeks before he was reunited with his human, not the whole 14 years he was gone. But wherever he was he must have been well cared for to live this long. Nice story anyway.
You're right I missed that.

Well, yeah I agree, somebody else must have been taking care of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats