Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Compounding into a liquid might work. Not as easy as the pill pocket, but it seems there are difficulties no matter how you approach it. If the Vet can't split them for you, which I agree to ask him/her to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 07:11 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Thyroid meds taste terrible. Even compounding doesn't cover the taste. Been there, done that. We tried one 2.5 daily........didn't work. Split dosage works. Transdermal doesn't work as you can't adequately regulate the dosage.. plus there are other issues such as contact dermatitis.
I think I figured out one thing - you are actually talking about ANTI-thyroid medication. Probably Methimazole. Am I right? That would explain why the twice a day, and the bad taste, and the dose. Thyroid meds are typically in mcg, not mg, although dessicated thyroid will be in mg. And none of the ones I've used taste much at all - and certainly not bitter or bad-tasting as some meds are.

This article discusses some options that you might discuss with your vet:
The options for treating feline hyperthyroidism

However, by the time I post this, you may already have a solution. What's your current status on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats