Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times

Advertisements

My female cat is being attacked by the 2 males, mostly the tuxedo cat; all 3 are neutered/spayed. They are around 10 years old. Miss Kitty is the dominant cat. The male tabby and female tabby have lived together since kittyhood and had been tolerating each other most of the time. The male tuxedo was introduced a year ago and there were no problems with interactions until recently. The 2 males are buddies and the female is independent. The tuxedo cat chases Miss Kitty and I find yellow fur all over but no blood drawn. I believe he forced her off the outside deck yesterday making her jump 12 feet down. Any suggestions on how to restore peace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
If they are inside, maybe some "feliway" calming spray or scent dispenser?

Old 04-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If they are inside, maybe some "feliway" calming spray or scent dispenser?
Thank you. Considered that. Has that product worked for you? I tried it a couple years ago when traveling with the cats and it did nothing so I threw it away. Maybe I'll try the plug in this time in the house (where they are most of the time).

Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I have had good luck with the spray. Bringing a female calico home from the vet where a broken leg was fixed - at first she was glad to see me but then not so much. Hissing. I pulled out the spray Feliway, gave a couple of shots into her cage, then sprayed the towel in my carrier. Turned all that hissing and posturing off like a light bulb.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Miss Kitty is the dominant cat.
Then this.
Quote:
The tuxedo cat chases Miss Kitty and I find yellow fur all over but no blood drawn. I believe he forced her off the outside deck yesterday making her jump 12 feet down. Any suggestions on how to restore peace?
So if Miss Kitty is being chased off the deck, I doubt she is the dominant cat. Do you play with them regularly? It sounds like they are bored. Try occupying the tuxedo cat, and the others at various times during the day with cat toys, but especially the tuxedo. Let him chase stuff around with you.

I had a male tuxedo that would occasionally attack the other male cat. They would fight for a few minutes, but never would hurt each other. I started playing with them more, and it stopped.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:29 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thank you. Considered that. Has that product worked for you? I tried it a couple years ago when traveling with the cats and it did nothing so I threw it away. Maybe I'll try the plug in this time in the house (where they are most of the time).

It worked for my cats during a 6 hr car ride....

Do you have interactive cat toys? They can keep a cat occupied...

Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 AM

50 posts, read 26,501 times
My cat Phoebe R.I.P. was constantly chased by Nike. The solution came from the cats themselves. They were working out territory. Males that are neutered still get ideas. Nike and Phoebe had litters of beautiful blue Siamese as younger cats. Even after being neutered Nike continued to bother Phoebe constantly till she "corrected" him. (Here's Jonny, from movie The shining)
I would build ramps in the home and create hideaways. Neither of the cats was ever hurt in our case. If either cat had broken the skin then I'm not sure what I would have done. These two cats lived together their whole lives and fought the whole time and neither ever got hurt. it was frightening the first time Phoebe did this and amazing to see that despite all the noise and she had quite the voice, there was not one puncture wound.
Nike learned his lesson and had less ideas less often. From time to time she had to show him to back off. I think ramp projects for cats are a great idea. Phoebe was always able to make better use of high areas to outwit Nike.

Also I forgot but this trick works only in cold regions, you don't want animal overheating. There is also a company that makes thin recovery suits for cats that have had surgery. Baby would not tolerate a collar but the suit worked fine so she wouldn't pull stitches. I'll put a pic on my profile. Put a sweater on the offending party while you are home. Cats usually don't instigate fights while feeling they are at a disadvantage.

Last edited by KeanuGirl; 04-19-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 02:43 PM

Thank you for your suggestions! Lately, our male tuxedo cat hasn't been picking on the female. He has discovered perhaps that it's more fun to actually wrestle and play with the other male cat instead. So neutered male cats still get "ideas", eh? Kind of like "neutered" human males? ;-)

Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 PM

343 posts, read 229,810 times
Do they spend time indoors? I ask because it's spring and you are probably getting more unfixed males coming around. Even if your pets are fixed they are likely upset about the intrusion. If your female is submissive she's an easy target. This is called misdirected aggression.

If she acts like a target at all she could be targeted. Is she shy normally? Does she slink around or does she walk confidently around them?

Old 05-02-2018, 04:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Bring her in for a check up including blood work (senior profile) and urinalysis. This kind of behavior often indicates the one being targeted is ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats