Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
When I first started reading this post, I was going to say that setting her free was the "best" option. However, it seems she is making a bit of progress indoors! Are you using Feliway? I would suggest that to help calm her.
Me too. But if she shows any progress (and I think she has), and your willing to go the distance & be very patient, then that would definitely be the best option. Please consider it..... and best of luck to you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,768,238 times
UPDATE: She got out a few days ago and I never thought I would see her again. I searched for her, put out food - although, I couldn't leave it out since I live in a complex. I was very sad ....until last night. SHE CAME BACK! She looked good, albeit a little more "on guard" than usual, on high alert.

Now, I just have to figure out how the heck to get her back inside. She will approach, but won't run in.

My little baby is back!!! She didn't eat much, so I assume she has been hunting.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
UPDATE: She got out a few days ago and I never thought I would see her again. I searched for her, put out food - although, I couldn't leave it out since I live in a complex. I was very sad ....until last night. SHE CAME BACK! She looked good, albeit a little more "on guard" than usual, on high alert.

Now, I just have to figure out how the heck to get her back inside. She will approach, but won't run in.

My little baby is back!!! She didn't eat much, so I assume she has been hunting.

Glad you are glad she is back Try this: borrow a 'Have-A-Heart' trap from a shelter or a vet in your area and tell them your story why you need to get her into the house. Because you want to keep her. Once "in", do not let her out. Return trap to whomever let you borrow it.

Once "in" put down food and water, get a good litter box and litter and let her settle in. She will hide, she may not eat, she may only come out at night. Don't force yourself on her, she is most likely very skittish and afraid. Make sure she does not get out, your house will be her freedom.

Keep us posted

Old 07-09-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Glad you are glad she is back Try this: borrow a 'Have-A-Heart' trap from a shelter or a vet in your area and tell them your story why you need to get her into the house. Because you want to keep her. Once "in", do not let her out. Return trap to whomever let you borrow it.

Once "in" put down food and water, get a good litter box and litter and let her settle in. She will hide, she may not eat, she may only come out at night. Don't force yourself on her, she is most likely very skittish and afraid. Make sure she does not get out, your house will be her freedom.

Keep us posted
I don't want to trap her again (that is how I got her inside and she was inside for several weeks). If she wants to run in, I will keep her, but I won't force her again, as tempting as it is to bring her in.

She seems fine, ate a few bites (not much at all), and sauntered off into the woods behind my unit.

She is spayed, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
This is not tough at all. Where I live, there are non-profit organizations who "take care" of feral cats. They get them spayed and neutered, clip their ear to indicate they are feral, and contact people with barns who house feral cats, or set up a shelter for the feral cats.

Why can't you set up a shelter (very easy - can find ideas online) and keep feeding and watering?

It's cruel to just wash your hands of any involvement.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is not tough at all. Where I live, there are non-profit organizations who "take care" of feral cats. They get them spayed and neutered, clip their ear to indicate they are feral, and contact people with barns who house feral cats, or set up a shelter for the feral cats.

Why can't you set up a shelter (very easy - can find ideas online) and keep feeding and watering?

It's cruel to just wash your hands of any involvement.
I fed her for nearly a year and brought her inside and tried for 3 months. I would hardly say I was being cruel. I felt I was being cruel by forcing her to be inside where she was miserable. I am also a renter, limited to what I can do.

Yeah, you hear about "barn cat programs". What a crock. I researched that and couldn't find anything - and I would have been willing to transport her, even if it meant driving a long ways.

Yes, we have many TNR programs here, but she is already spayed.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:16 PM

She was sunning herself in the grass earlier and looked content. She won't come inside. She looked happy, in her old stomping ground.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
I fed her for nearly a year and brought her inside and tried for 3 months. I would hardly say I was being cruel. I felt I was being cruel by forcing her to be inside where she was miserable. I am also a renter, limited to what I can do.

Yeah, you hear about "barn cat programs". What a crock. I researched that and couldn't find anything - and I would have been willing to transport her, even if it meant driving a long ways.

Only a vet or a shelter are the only ones who can determine that, and if she actually has an owner. When you first took her to a vet (in your original post, was she checked for a m/c ?) If not, have someone check her again, she gets 'around' a lot.

Didn't you say you are moving? At that point, you will be abandoning her. You came on here for advice, and you are getting some; take advantage of it for the kitty's sake.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:

Why are you hell-bent on bringing her in?

Contact one of the programs and ask for advice on how best to support her, and in your spare time, look up ways you can shelter her outside, online.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why are you hell-bent on bringing her in?

Contact one of the programs and ask for advice on how best to support her, and in your spare time, look up ways you can shelter her outside, online.
I got attached to her after feeding her outside for so long and wanted to take her with me when I move.

I will continue to search resources, but so far the places I contacted said they only assist with TNR, they don't do rehoming or fostering of ferals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats