Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:25 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
my little baby-my Sophie is 5 months old this month. The little black beauty-Bella that we adopted as her playmate also turning 5 months. Time for the dreaded spaying.

Oh I'm sure they will both do fine. They just seem so small. We still call them the babies.

Since we adopted both from the shelter, the shelter pays for and sets up the vet appointments.

I don't know this vet at all. But I did call to ask questions and the lady there said they won't be given an IV, will be given gas and if we wanted them to have pain meds we would have to pay for it. Understood. Fine. Good. But then she says it's a shot, for 41.00 each that will make them sleepy for 3 full days
Huh? I called our regular vet and he said come by there before picking up the girls after surgery and he will provide pain pills ( a packet of 3)

It's been a while since I have dealt with a kitten being spayed. Anyone have suggestions? Did anyone ask for the pain shot to be administered? Did your cats need pain pills? I anticipate that Bella will be up climbing to the top of the cat tree by the next morning. Sophie likes to sleep anyway so she may be a bit slower to come around.

Mama ME is a tad nervous
I've never heard of that being done before. I call the shots on all aspects of my own cat's life, including which vet I take her to. The shelter hasn't been in the picture since the day i brought her home 4.5 years ago. If you already had a regular vet when you adopted, that is the vet you should be dealing with.

What is this "if" you want pain meds??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Paws crossed for a smooth recovery - for you and for the kittens!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've never heard of that being done before. I call the shots on all aspects of my own cat's life, including which vet I take her to. The shelter hasn't been in the picture since the day i brought her home 4.5 years ago. If you already had a regular vet when you adopted, that is the vet you should be dealing with.

What is this "if" you want pain meds??????
In this particular city when you adopt from the shelter you must sign an agreement that you will take pet to be spayed/neutered at a vet hospital of the shelter's choosing. The cost of such is covered in adoption fee. Failure to follow through with appointment the shelter sets up is grounds for the shelter to remove the animal from your care.

I didn't like it, but spoke to the vet I use and asked if we could have it done there. He said. "oh no. they won't agree." Said he adopted a pet from shelter and he too had to do as they requested. He's a vet!!!

It's all good though; I'm sure they want to be assured the animals are definitely getting "fixed"

Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
In this particular city when you adopt from the shelter you must sign an agreement that you will take pet to be spayed/neutered at a vet hospital of the shelter's choosing. The cost of such is covered in adoption fee. Failure to follow through with appointment the shelter sets up is grounds for the shelter to remove the animal from your care.

I didn't like it, but spoke to the vet I use and asked if we could have it done there. He said. "oh no. they won't agree." Said he adopted a pet from shelter and he too had to do as they requested. He's a vet!!!

It's all good though; I'm sure they want to be assured the animals are definitely getting "fixed"
They could just do it themselves before adopting out their animals. The shelter I adopted from s/n all of their animals before advertising them as being available for adoption. My cat was spayed at 3 months by her 1st owner (I even have her exact birth date), so they didn't have to worry about that.

I wouldn't adopt from any shelter that tried to dictate the level of care that I would be providing to my pets. Bad enough that the shelter I adopted from seems to be in bed with Hill's (they give out sample bags of kibble with each adoption).

Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
They could just do it themselves before adopting out their animals. The shelter I adopted from s/n all of their animals before advertising them as being available for adoption. My cat was spayed at 3 months by her 1st owner (I even have her exact birth date), so they didn't have to worry about that.
Both of the larger shelters here switched to spaying/neutering BEFORE adoption. Our Ringo was the first kitten we'd adopted who was already neutered and had some shots and one worming. I have to say that it was great and it meant fewer vet trips for us because some things were already done!

I also wish more shelters would have you sign a no-declaw form before adopting. I give the no-kill shelter here kudos for doing that!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:03 PM

The girls are home. Sophie threw a hissy fit the entire drive home. Bella was very quiet.

I had their cage ( large one about 4 feet tall and wide/deep)all ready for them. Placed them in there and Sophie settled right down on her blanket covered cushion. Bella hid in the back growling and hissing and moved forward to slap the crap out of Sophie.

Bella is teeny small in stature, realllllllly sweet, lovely personality. Lord, did they give the wrong black cat, I was wondering. I didn't know she could or would hiss and growl. Dang!! Then I thought maybe there was a new odor on Sophie...on both of them really. So I brought out my HUGE soft side carrier we use for traveling. Bella is now in there and settled down. Oh, and I wiped them both down really well with a softly scented baby wipe.

SO glad we only do this ONCE!!! Thanks all!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
The girls are home. Sophie threw a hissy fit the entire drive home. Bella was very quiet.

I had their cage ( large one about 4 feet tall and wide/deep)all ready for them. Placed them in there and Sophie settled right down on her blanket covered cushion. Bella hid in the back growling and hissing and moved forward to slap the crap out of Sophie.

Bella is teeny small in stature, realllllllly sweet, lovely personality. Lord, did they give the wrong black cat, I was wondering. I didn't know she could or would hiss and growl. Dang!! Then I thought maybe there was a new odor on Sophie...on both of them really. So I brought out my HUGE soft side carrier we use for traveling. Bella is now in there and settled down. Oh, and I wiped them both down really well with a softly scented baby wipe.

SO glad we only do this ONCE!!! Thanks all!!!

Happy they are both home and it's over...I know what you mean when you are surprised by the hissing etc. that you usually never see!

And that smell on their lovely fur when they get out of the vet....always terrible. I use baby wipes as well.

Hope they sleep well, you too.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't adopt from any shelter that tried to dictate the level of care that I would be providing to my pets. Bad enough that the shelter I adopted from seems to be in bed with Hill's (they give out sample bags of kibble with each adoption).

true enough in most cases. These were too young to be spayed when they were adopted. When I adopted Molly she was 7 months, I think, but already spayed.
You certainly would adopt from them if you want an animal from there because they are all we have for a few hundred miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Both of the larger shelters here switched to spaying/neutering BEFORE adoption. Our Ringo was the first kitten we'd adopted who was already neutered and had some shots and one worming. I have to say that it was great and it meant fewer vet trips for us because some things were already done!

I also wish more shelters would have you sign a no-declaw form before adopting. I give the no-kill shelter here kudos for doing that!
the shelter here does have a NO declaw clause. No vet in this town would declaw one anyway. BIG NO NO here. Thank Goodness

Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM

The girls are ok but certainly not their usual selves. Sophie is obsessed with cleaning the area they shaved. Maybe not so much the incision area-yet anyway. I cut the toe off one of my dad's socks and put on her. kinda like a onesie and that has helped some.

Bella has not bothered her surgical area at all. But she certainly seems changed. She once was a loving and purrrrrrr cat and now she's hesitant to come to me and growls/hisses a lot.

I feel sure they both are having some pain so I gave them another pain pill a few minutes ago.

Hoping in a few days things will be back to normal. Or a new normal

Old 09-05-2018, 01:03 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
The girls are ok but certainly not their usual selves. Sophie is obsessed with cleaning the area they shaved. Maybe not so much the incision area-yet anyway. I cut the toe off one of my dad's socks and put on her. kinda like a onesie and that has helped some.

Bella has not bothered her surgical area at all. But she certainly seems changed. She once was a loving and purrrrrrr cat and now she's hesitant to come to me and growls/hisses a lot.

I feel sure they both are having some pain so I gave them another pain pill a few minutes ago.

Hoping in a few days things will be back to normal. Or a new normal
Give them a few days to recover. Bella may be hissing from the vet/surgical smells too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats