Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 127,901 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a 5 year old female Shih Tzu, named Rainbow.
Very relaxed in nature, just like a lady.
I am planning to get her spayed next week.
Reason for her getting spayed so late is I've always thought of letting her have a litter before i spay her, but never did.
I want to get her spayed now - as to prevent more chances of getting ovarian / uterus cancer. (correct me if i'm wrong)

However, being a worried mummy, i would like for some advise before the day of the operation.

1) Is it still safe for her to go through the operation? As said, she is 5 yrs this coming July.

2) I've read that she will be given Elizabethen collar? I have tried to put her on it a year ago when she was scratching herself too much, but once i put her on, she wouldn't move. She just stood there for a whole half hour, and at last i took it off. I am just worried she won't move again when i put the collar on after the operation.

3) What must i prepare before the operation?

4) What must i prepare after the operation?

5) What must i ask the vet before/after the operation? will the vet give pain pills?

6) How must i carry her after the operation? I normally have 1 hand under her armpits and another between her legs - but i can't hurt her after the operation

7) Is it very very painful for her? How many days does it take for her to heal - back to normal?

I'm sorry if i am over-worried, but i really would like to find out as much as i can, to make this operation as easy for her.
She is a very quiet and laidback dog.

Thanks in advance, all...
Just to share with you guys, a photo of my baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Shih Tzu getting spayed at age 5 - Questions-21562_283716289681_628169681_3491218_3641148_n.jpg   Shih Tzu getting spayed at age 5 - Questions-rainbow.jpg   Shih Tzu getting spayed at age 5 - Questions-rainbow2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwen84 View Post
Hi All,

I have a 5 year old female Shih Tzu, named Rainbow.
Very relaxed in nature, just like a lady.
I am planning to get her spayed next week.
Reason for her getting spayed so late is I've always thought of letting her have a litter before i spay her, but never did.

Thank you so much for not letting her have a litter. It was a very responsible decision.
I want to get her spayed now - as to prevent more chances of getting ovarian / uterus cancer. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Just one of many, many reasons to have her spayed! Good for you!!! You're a good mommy!

However, being a worried mummy, i would like for some advise before the day of the operation.

1) Is it still safe for her to go through the operation? As said, she is 5 yrs this coming July.

Totally safe. 5 is still young, especially for such a small breed of dog. I've got a toy poodle foster dog that's 12 that the vet will be spaying.

2) I've read that she will be given Elizabethen collar? I have tried to put her on it a year ago when she was scratching herself too much, but once i put her on, she wouldn't move. She just stood there for a whole half hour, and at last i took it off. I am just worried she won't move again when i put the collar on after the operation.

She may not need it. Mine haven't been bothered by the incision site. I just keep an eye on them and they don't mess with it. I'd leave it off her unless she keeps biting or licking at it. If she doesn't move if you have to put it on, it's not the end of the world. Take advantage of it - put her in bed with you and cuddle.

3) What must i prepare before the operation?
Nothing. No food or water after midnight the night before the surgery, but other than that, no prep needed.

4) What must i prepare after the operation?

Just a clean, comfy place for her to relax. If she is too full of energy when you bring her home she may need to be confined to a crate for a few days for recovery, but that's about it. They usually handle it incredibly well.

5) What must i ask the vet before/after the operation? will the vet give pain pills?

Ask about pain meds. Some Docs think they aren't necessary. I don't believe that. Especially in females. They have to cut through abdominal muscle; it's got to hurt. You just don't want to give her so much meds that she feels no pain because she may then want to jump on / off furniture and can hurt herself without knowign it.

6) How must i carry her after the operation? I normally have 1 hand under her armpits and another between her legs - but i can't hurt her after the operation
SHouldn't need to carry her. She should be able to walk. But if you need to pick her up, one hand on her bottom and the other around her chest and she'll be fine.

7) Is it very very painful for her? How many days does it take for her to heal - back to normal?

Very seldom do I have one come home that even acts like anything happened. Dogs are incredible with how well they handle it! If she does seem affected I'd guess within a couple days you'd never even know she had it done.

I'm sorry if i am over-worried, but i really would like to find out as much as i can, to make this operation as easy for her.
She is a very quiet and laidback dog.

Thanks in advance, all...
Just to share with you guys, a photo of my baby.
Don't worry. We're all fur parents here. On her spay day, come post here and hang out with us. We keep each other company and keep each others minds off of it and it helps. You'll find tons of support here for yourself!

Congrats on doing such a great thing for her. I'm soooo proud of you!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
What a cutie-pie your girl is.

The only spay experience I've had was with my friend's dog, and she was a champ. Came home that same day. No collar. Didn't lick or scratch the area. Acted like nothing had happened. I hope Rainbow's experience is the same.

And I ditto what Mrs1885 said: Come hang out here on the forum while she's at the vet; we'll make you giggle a bit.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Don't worry. We're all fur parents here. On her spay day, come post here and hang out with us. We keep each other company and keep each others minds off of it and it helps. You'll find tons of support here for yourself!

Congrats on doing such a great thing for her. I'm soooo proud of you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What a cutie-pie your girl is.

The only spay experience I've had was with my friend's dog, and she was a champ. Came home that same day. No collar. Didn't lick or scratch the area. Acted like nothing had happened. I hope Rainbow's experience is the same.

And I ditto what Mrs1885 said: Come hang out here on the forum while she's at the vet; we'll make you giggle a bit.
Thanks guys for the support. It is scarier for me than for her maybe .
Oh ya... i suppose you both are from the US?
How long does your dog need to be at the vet when she needs to be spayed?
I asked Vet 1: She needs to come in at 8am and i collect her at 12-1pm.
Vet 2: She needs to come in at 8am and i collect her at 4pm.

What is the difference? Of course i would like to see how my baby is like as soon as possible. But is it better if she is under vet's care for longer?
Which should i opt for?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
she'll probably feel better and less stressed at home in her own environment, so i would bring her home as soon as the vet says she is ok to go home......

Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
My doggie was a bigger baby with one immunization causing him soreness than his surgery. Your gal may be starving when she gets home so go easy on the food (this is in your instructions when you pick her up from the vet's office).
Sending good vibes your way that all goes well on surgery day!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
aww, your shih reminds me so much of my old shih (my girl was gray/tan/white also). we adopted her when she was about 7 years old from a shelter and they spayed her there before we took her home. no issues at all, other than the fact that she had to wear the e-collar and hated it. I was advised not to pick her up for a few days ad to keep her from jumping up on the bed, but otherwise, it was a pretty smooth recovery. if you need to pick her up, I would just scoop her up from behind, arm under her butt/hind legs and the other cradling her chest

Old 04-01-2010, 03:10 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwen84 View Post
Thanks guys for the support. It is scarier for me than for her maybe .
Oh ya... i suppose you both are from the US?
How long does your dog need to be at the vet when she needs to be spayed?
I asked Vet 1: She needs to come in at 8am and i collect her at 12-1pm.
Vet 2: She needs to come in at 8am and i collect her at 4pm.

What is the difference? Of course i would like to see how my baby is like as soon as possible. But is it better if she is under vet's care for longer?
Which should i opt for?
Yep, from the states.

I leave mine over night, but that's because they're fosters and I've got 22 dogs in my house. Its probably less stressful for them at the clinic. However, when I take my 'baby' in for her spay, she'll come home that day. She is not happy with me at work, so her locked away in a strange place from me all day and night I think would be too much. I'd say yours will be like my little Munchi-brat and you should get her as soon as the vet feels she's ready. She'll probably still be 'stoner-puppy' when you pick her up, so don't worry.

Different vets release at different times and after different lengths of recovery, just like people. When I had my kids I had one doc tell me to go home that night. I had another hold me two days. Vets are the same. Some keep the dogs under observation longer than others.

As long as she had no adverse reactions from the sedatives I see no reason in her staying longer. Go ahead and get her when she's waking up and let her recover at home.

She's gonna do just fine. And believe it or not, you will too!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Jazz got spayed at 16 weeks and the pain meds made her vomit so she only had a few doses. If there was much pain she did not show it as I had a hard time keeping her quiet even in her crate she would bounce up and down trying to get me to let her out . When I did she would zip around and leap on the couch or bed or race up the stairs which were all NO- NO's despite it all she did fine. She did not need the collar as my vet says the females tend not to bother the stitches not so with the males.

Dazzle is a male but had a retained testicle so the vet had to do an operation similar to a spay being a male he had a Collar and he had pain meds but even he seemed unbothered by any of it ( and usually he us a major drama queen) . He was rather annoyed that I would not let him jump or race around.

I think you will find it is harder on you then your dog. I will send some positve thoughts your way for a speedy recovery for your adorable Shih Tzu.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Jazz got spayed at 16 weeks and the pain meds made her vomit so she only had a few doses. If there was much pain she did not show it as I had a hard time keeping her quiet even in her crate she would bounce up and down trying to get me to let her out . When I did she would zip around and leap on the couch or bed or race up the stairs which were all NO- NO's despite it all she did fine. She did not need the collar as my vet says the females tend not to bother the stitches not so with the males.

Dazzle is a male but had a retained testicle so the vet had to do an operation similar to a spay being a male he had a Collar and he had pain meds but even he seemed unbothered by any of it ( and usually he us a major drama queen) . He was rather annoyed that I would not let him jump or race around.

I think you will find it is harder on you then your dog. I will send some positve thoughts your way for a speedy recovery for your adorable Shih Tzu.
THanks all, she is only going to be spayed next week.
Just asking as early as i can so i can be prepared for anything possible that is going to be happen, and to make sure she goes through this as comfortable as possible. keep you guys updated next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs