Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times

Advertisements

I adopted a dog almost a year ago and the place where I adopted her said she was spayed. Even the vet they took her to had on their paperwork that she was spayed as well as her dog license. Well she came in heat and I took her to the vet to make sure something wasn't wrong with her, well she was in heat. They shaved her belly and saw no scar.

My concern is that I am not sure whether to get her spayed or not. What are the benefits? We do not plan to breed her. She has a fenced in yard and we watch her very carefully. I am scared because of her being under anethesia and it is much worse to have a dog spayed versus neutered. I feel bad and don't want her to be in pain for 2 weeks and have such a long recovery time. Is it best to go ahead and get her spayed? I am taking her to the vet Jan. 18th for her annual check up and shots and will discuss it with the vet then. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
I adopted a dog almost a year ago and the place where I adopted her said she was spayed. Even the vet they took her to had on their paperwork that she was spayed as well as her dog license. Well she came in heat and I took her to the vet to make sure something wasn't wrong with her, well she was in heat. They shaved her belly and saw no scar.

My concern is that I am not sure whether to get her spayed or not. What are the benefits? We do not plan to breed her. She has a fenced in yard and we watch her very carefully. I am scared because of her being under anethesia and it is much worse to have a dog spayed versus neutered. I feel bad and don't want her to be in pain for 2 weeks and have such a long recovery time. Is it best to go ahead and get her spayed? I am taking her to the vet Jan. 18th for her annual check up and shots and will discuss it with the vet then. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.
Get her spyed.

She will have less chance of getting breast cancer.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
She won't be in pain for more than a day. Anesthesia shouldn't be dangerous for a young healthy dog. There are many health benefits to being spayed, and fences aren't foolproof. If the place you adopted her from meant to have her spayed, they should handle the cost of having it done now. Please don't risk bringing more puppies into the world. It's a very simple procedure that rarely causes problems.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I agree with the others none of mine have ever had a problem when spayed. I have had a problem keeping them quiet and from jumping around too much thus I do not think pain is really much of an issue. Even my poor Boy Dazzle as he was neutered but also in a way spayed as he had a retained testicle so had to be opened up like a female to find it and he did great post op.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
go ahead and get her spayed.
if your worried about anesthesia get a proper pre-surgery work up done and go with a regular vet not a low cost clinic.

in terms of healing time, while a spay is more involved than a neuter most female fare the surgery much better than males LOL, ive found after a spay/neuter males tend to be whiney pouty and sulky, and females tend to bounce back like nothing happend...to the point where sometimes YOU have to be more carefull that they dont rip the stitches lol.
(i would opt for surgical glue if possible rather than sutures...)

in terms of benefits...
1: heats can be quite stressfull for a female, like human women female dogs can experience cramping, bloating, general uncomfrtableness, they dont "tell" you because they cant tell you....but shell be pretty uncomfortable...(most femlaes tend to be grumpy short tempered and can go off their food too.)

2: a fence does NOT keep your female safe...dogs can and do breed through fences, females have been known to dig out and climb out...males are more than capable of climbing in and digging in...
you need to watch her 24/7 for about 3 weeks while shes in heat, she CANNOT be left outside unsupervised, walking her would be an issue ect..

3: spaying will help prevent a number of health issues.
uterine and ovarian cancers are completly elimiated, mammary cancer risks are highly reduced and pyometra, a potentially fatal infection is eliminated.
not to mention many females will have at least one "scilent heat" in their lives where you dont know shes in heat but every male in the county will...
it also elimiates the risk of false pregnancy which is stressfull on a female.

please get her spayed, i know its scary to put your pet through a surgery but the benefits far outweigh the risk.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Hi there! I agree that the risks are minimal, but be sure to share your concerns with your vet so they can help ease your mind by walking you through their surgery safety precautions. Just thought I would share these statistics from our local spay and neuter website: Welcome!:

SPAYING FEMALE DOGS…
  • Eliminates medical expenses for puppies.
  • Eliminates owner’s need to find responsible homes for puppies.
  • Eliminates heat cycles and accompanying bloody discharges.
  • Eliminates expense and inconvenience of confinement during heat cycles.
  • Prevents occurrence of false pregnancy (25 to 50% of unspayed dogs suffer from false pregnancy).
  • Eliminates visits by unwelcome and aggressive male dogs.
  • Eliminates possibility of infection of the uterus (a common and frequently fatal disease in unspayed dogs called pyometra).
  • Greatly reduces the chance of mammary cancer which is responsible for ½ of all cancers in female dogs. If spayed before the first heat cycle, they face only 1% of the risk of mammary cancer as unspayed dogs. For dogs spayed after the first heat cycle, the risk is still only 8% of that of unspayed dogs.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
get her spayed..... dealing with a heat 2x a year would be far worse than her being in a little discomfort for a couple of days......

my roxie was back to her normal playful self the 2nd day after her spay.... as another poster above said, i had a harder time keeping her "quiet" than she did with the surgery....

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have a vet appt on Jan 18th. They are going to do the blood work up for pre-op. So hopefully we will get the spaying scheduled and she will do well. I will post a follow up. Thanks again. I am just a nervous nellie when it comes to this stuff. I have only had males dogs and always had them neutered.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,283 times
Default To spay with consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post

I'm going through the same thoughts with my dog she is 5. I hate to have her go through all the pain. If you have a lot of money there are vets that do the procedure with a laparoscope. This way there is about some say 65% less pain and heal much quicker. It's pricey but worth it if you have the money. They don't make a big incision just 3 very small cuts. Spaying does reduce tumors in the uterus and if done young can help prevent certain cancers like ovarian since they take out both the ovaries and uterus. Another thing to consider is having just the ovaries removed. Once removed there is no longer the stimulation to the uterus. This too is easier on the dog and an easier recovery.
After any spay you need to be very careful with your dog for about 3 months until all the healing inside is done. The outside if all goes well will look all healed but there is a lot still going on with healing on the inside.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,283 times
Just to add this I really do believe spaying is the way to go. My dog that has now endured a couple of heat cycles since I rescued her has proved to me that the whole heat thing is hard on the female and false pregnancies are really hard on them as well. Not to mention that male dogs can be attracted to your dog from up to 3 miles away when the female is in heat. Once spayed they don't experience all those ups and downs and can just be happy dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs