Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times

Advertisements

She had a blue spot under the stitches, and was a little swollen around the incision.

I brought her to the vet this morning, they did an ultrasound and found out that she ripped her stiches underneath (There are 3 layers of stitches) and her intestines are spilling out... so they have to re-open her up, and fix everything.

Now... I'm kindof confused, because she hasnt been jumping at all... But she's a small 10lb dog, and we live on the 3rd floor of a 3 family... so could it be the stairs that did it?? We started letting her walk down them 2 days ago... Have we been picking her up incorrectly?

Has this happened to any owner? Me and my girlfriend just feel like horrible owners.. but we dont even know what we did wrong.

We were told to not let her jump or run, and only take her out on leash to go to the bathroom, and short walks for 7-10 days... and thats honestly all we did...

This just seems like alot of surgery for such a small dog... And now she wont be able to enjoy thanksgiving with our familes... Just stuck in her crate or pen for the majority

Last edited by Highwyre237; 11-18-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I have no advice or anything, but I just wanted to say that I'm soooo sorry that your girl has to go through this. Poor baby!

And don't beat yourself up -- it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong; you did what they told you to do.

I hope everything goes easy for you both and your pupper from here on out.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
She had a blue spot under the stitches, and was a little swollen around the incision.

I brought her to the vet this morning, they did an ultrasound and found out that she ripped her stiches underneath (There are 3 layers of stitches) and her intestines are spilling out... so they have to re-open her up, and fix everything.

Now... I'm kindof confused, because she hasnt been jumping at all... But she's a small 10lb dog, and we live on the 3rd floor of a 3 family... so could it be the stairs that did it?? We started letting her walk down them 2 days ago... Have we been picking her up incorrectly?

Has this happened to any owner? Me and my girlfriend just feel like horrible owners.. but we dont even know what we did wrong.

We were told to not let her jump or run, and only take her out on leash to go to the bathroom, and short walks for 7-10 days... and thats honestly all we did...

This just seems like alot of surgery for such a small dog... And now she wont be able to enjoy thanksgiving with our familes... Just stuck in her crate or pen for the majority

my first thought was the stairs.... as tiny as she is, 2 flights of stairs could equate to jumping.... when did you notice the blue spot?? before she started going down the stairs on her own or only after??

don't be too hard on yourself.... sometimes these things just happened.... to be filed under the category of "one of life's little mysteries"

hope your girl is home and on the mend sooner than later......

Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM

thanks for the nice wishes. We noticed the spot after she started using the stairs... I guess that is probably the cause. We'll carry her down for atleast 10 days this time, maybe longer just incase. I'm not upset about the cost to redo all of this, I'm really sad for her. She was so good in this whole process... Now she has to start it all over again.

It'll be almost 3 weeks of doing nothing put eating, bathroom, and laying down... I'll make sure I get as specific instructions as possible from the vet this time.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

sounds like she is in great hands and will be just fine before you know it....

and of course, you KNOW we expect pictures of her!!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You are doing right by her and she knows it. Just give her plenty of attention! So sorry for all of you.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Ha, here are a few pictures of her.

Her name is Riley, and she's a Cairn Terrier
Attached Thumbnails
My dog was spayed a week ago, but something wasnt right-rileycouch1.jpg   My dog was spayed a week ago, but something wasnt right-ri4.jpg  

Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM

what an adorable little princess......

please keep us posted as she gets better.....

and more pictures is ALWAYS good..........

Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
shes adorable...
my money is on the stairs
sounds like shes got 2 very loving puppy parents though, im sure shell heal up just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs