Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 11:47 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My partner and I are thinking about fostering cats for one of our local adoption agencies. We currently have one cat. We have room in our apartment for one more (any more than that would be pushing it).

Ours is almost 3 years old. The adoption agency is looking for those willing to foster kittens (7-12 weeks old) and young cats (3-6 months old). That sounds great, but tbh, I've never had a cat who wasn't an adult. I don't necessarily know what that entails. We would also be leaving the foster home alone for up to 6 hours some days, due to our work schedules. Most days, they would definitely be alone for about four hours.

Does anyone have any advice? Does our situation sound conducive to becoming fosters? Thanks for any insight you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 01:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Hi all. My partner and I are thinking about fostering cats for one of our local adoption agencies. We currently have one cat. We have room in our apartment for one more (any more than that would be pushing it).

Ours is almost 3 years old. The adoption agency is looking for those willing to foster kittens (7-12 weeks old) and young cats (3-6 months old). That sounds great, but tbh, I've never had a cat who wasn't an adult. I don't necessarily know what that entails. We would also be leaving the foster home alone for up to 6 hours some days, due to our work schedules. Most days, they would definitely be alone for about four hours.

Does anyone have any advice? Does our situation sound conducive to becoming fosters? Thanks for any insight you might have!
I wouldn't rule you out completely, but the fact that the fosters would be on their own for several hours a day, could have an affect on their socialization. It would also depend on what living arrangements you provide for them. For example, a room to themselves would be necessary while you're away, and to isolate them from your resident cats till they are old enough to interact with adult cats.
As you said, most rescues will be needing kitten raisers and you could probably do ok with them as long as they are safe from the other cats. Also depends if there is a Mama cat with them or not. If mama is with them, there would be less risk when leaving them during the day.
There may also be times when an older cat needs fostering before rehoming, and that can be a whole different ball game. Again, a lot depends on living arrangement, the fosters temperament, as well as your resident's temperament. Leaving an adult foster on it's own for hours on end could be problematic.
It might be best to contact a rescue, tell them your circumstances, and see what they say. I applaud you for wanting to foster, and wish you success in making it work. Just beware of the "Foster Failure" phenomenon.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I wouldn't rule you out completely, but the fact that the fosters would be on their own for several hours a day, could have an affect on their socialization. It would also depend on what living arrangements you provide for them. For example, a room to themselves would be necessary while you're away, and to isolate them from your resident cats till they are old enough to interact with adult cats.
As you said, most rescues will be needing kitten raisers and you could probably do ok with them as long as they are safe from the other cats. Also depends if there is a Mama cat with them or not. If mama is with them, there would be less risk when leaving them during the day.
There may also be times when an older cat needs fostering before rehoming, and that can be a whole different ball game. Again, a lot depends on living arrangement, the fosters temperament, as well as your resident's temperament. Leaving an adult foster on it's own for hours on end could be problematic.
It might be best to contact a rescue, tell them your circumstances, and see what they say. I applaud you for wanting to foster, and wish you success in making it work. Just beware of the "Foster Failure" phenomenon.
Thanks for the info! I confess that I am worried about the time we spend away from home. We would be able to give them their own room, away from our cat, though. I might just have to chat with someone at the organization and see what they think. Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I confess that I am worried about the time we spend away from home. We would be able to give them their own room, away from our cat, though. I might just have to chat with someone at the organization and see what they think. Thanks again.
Yep, do that. And the best of luck to you.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
I have a good friend who has fostered for many years. She does not allow her resident cat to socialize with the kittens/cat for health and safety reasons. The shelter you'll work with may have opinions on this too--ask someone there about it.

While there are many happy moments, there can be sad ones too. She has had kittens die, for instance. I don't mean to be a downer, but it sadly does happen and is something you should at least be aware of.

I'd suggest asking the shelter to hook you up with one of their fosters and talk to him/her about their experiences.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:30 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
I fostered a pair of kittens this summer, and they were so much fun to have around! Especially since I was dealing with the decline of my oldest cat (he passed on 8/25), so having the babies there was a welcome distraction.

I live alone (with my dog and then 3 cats) and work 40 hours/week, but the little ones were fine once we got into a routine. They had a full setup in my bathroom, with a scratching tower, food/water, litter pan, and plenty of toys + a nightlight and fan, since it was June and we don’t have A/C here. Every morning I’d let them out while I got ready, then feed them some canned food, shut the bathroom door and leave. They’d usually fall asleep right after a meal, so I assume they slept for at least a few hours after I was gone... and cats spend most of the day sleeping anyway, even when they’re babies.

As soon as I returned from work, they’d get another can of food in their bathroom; but this time I’d only close the door until they mewed to be let out, typically after a 30-ish minute nap. Then they’d have free run of the home all night, mostly spent playing and snuggling with me. Everyone seemed perfectly happy with this routine, and my own cats just kept their distance when the kittens were out & about. They thrived during the month I had them, became very sociable with humans, cats, AND dogs, and now live with a friend of mine. I visited them a couple weeks ago, and they’re doing fantastic. So I say go for it!

P.S. Feeding them in a closed room with a pan also helps with litter training, since they tend to pee & poop within ~10 minutes of eating. Plus they seemed to like having a safe space, and would go back on their own when they got tired or scared by something.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-10-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
To show how they’ve thrived, and also because KITTEN PICS - here they are when I first got them, versus when I saw them recently. Their names are now Scarlet (with the white paws/chest) and Fibi.

(I gave my friend the scratching tower, since they loved it so much)

Old 09-11-2018, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the update Gizmo. Glad to see they're doing so well.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM

They are growing up beautifully! Adorable pics.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,186 times
Quote:

I have fostered kittens for our local humaane society for years. I am mom to three cats of my own (although I admit one is a foster fail!). I have also been a volunteer in the humane society kitten nursery for six years.

Fostering kittens worked well for me because I have a large extra bedroom with little furniture. I put the large cage in the room until the kittens were ready to explore (I let them roam the bedroom freely)and before they weighed in at two pounds each (the spaying and neutering ages; I took them back to the clinic). The most I fostered was three at a time. My kitties, while curious, never presented any problems.

The biggest pitfall is falling in love with the little ones then giving them back to the humane society so they could be put up for adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats