Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM

294 posts, read 180,025 times

Advertisements

I know I should ask our vet and I will. But my vet seems very conservative, and I was hoping to also get some input from other cat owners:

Cat was diagnosed with lymphoma. He is 12 years and weight 12 lbs (2 months ago - he might be lighter now).

Vet put him on 3mg of prednisolone every other day. Over the super bowl weekend Gambo didn’t do well so we gave him double Dosis till we have a chance to call the vet. I was devastated. Next morning, Gambo was doing great! Eating more than ever, walking more than ever, sleeping in bed with me, etc. I gave another single dose the day after, and he was doing amazing.

Now he is again on 3mg every other day but when I read other posts the Dosis seems very low?!

How much do you give your cat? I know prednusolone is nothing for long term, but we don’t have long term anyways .... our goal is too keep him happy and pain free as long as possible.

Thanks for your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM

219 posts, read 163,372 times
I do not have experience with prenisolone. I did have a cat that had what I think was a stroke. (He did the circling thing). They had him on 5mg of prednisone. Since I was taking the same med, I kept him on that dosage for a year, until he died.

I'd run it by your vet again. Let him know that he seems to do better on the higher dose.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:50 PM

74 posts, read 55,219 times
I am very sorry to hear that your kitty has lymphoma, and I hope you are successful in keeping him comfortable.

We have a cat with inflammatory bowel disorder (the precursor to lymphoma). When he was first diagnosed, our vet started him on 10 mg/day of Prednisolone with instructions to taper him down to whatever level would keep him at happy and eating, and keep him on that as a maintenance dose.

For our cat, the taper-down process was incredibly slow - we tried speeding it up a time or two, and had very bad results. We finally (after about 6 months) got him to a dose of 5 mg/day Prednisolone, and he has been stable at that dosage now for about 7 months.

Like you, our primary goal is to keep him happy and comfortable for as long as possible. Our vet doesn't see anything wrong with using Prednisolone as long-term therapy under these circumstances, and we don't either.

Good luck to you, and chin-scritches to your cat.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Most definitely call the vet and tell vet Gambo does better on the daily dose now instead of every other day, so you will need more medication.

There shouldn't be any problem getting the prescription changed. Cancer is a progressive disease and the meds do need to be increased as the disease advances.

I would ask about having some pain meds on hand as well. Buprenorphine, for example. To use as needed.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Most definitely call the vet and tell vet Gambo does better on the daily dose now instead of every other day, so you will need more medication.

There shouldn't be any problem getting the prescription changed. Cancer is a progressive disease and the meds do need to be increased as the disease advances.

I would ask about having some pain meds on hand as well. Buprenorphine, for example. To use as needed.
THIS ^^^

ITA that your vet should be more than willing to increase the dose. And yes, having pain medication on hand is a smart idea in this case.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
I know I should ask our vet and I will. But my vet seems very conservative, and I was hoping to also get some input from other cat owners:

Cat was diagnosed with lymphoma. He is 12 years and weight 12 lbs (2 months ago - he might be lighter now).

Vet put him on 3mg of prednisolone every other day. Over the super bowl weekend Gambo didn’t do well so we gave him double Dosis till we have a chance to call the vet. I was devastated. Next morning, Gambo was doing great! Eating more than ever, walking more than ever, sleeping in bed with me, etc. I gave another single dose the day after, and he was doing amazing.

Now he is again on 3mg every other day but when I read other posts the Dosis seems very low?!

How much do you give your cat? I know prednusolone is nothing for long term, but we don’t have long term anyways .... our goal is too keep him happy and pain free as long as possible.

Thanks for your experience.
a
One of my Siamese kitties, around age 9 or 10, was diagnosed with lymphoma. My two youngsters were devastated when they learned of the diagnosis and that she may only have 4 to 6 months to live from our (allegedly awesome) vet.

One of my girls babysat for a neighbor of ours who was a veterinarian. He asked us if he could treat Tika and give her the best quality of life without pain or suffering for a duration. Lo and behold, little Tika lived another 2 years under his (free) care and she was healthy all through it. He had her on chemotherapy (which our regular vet poo poo'd and refused to give her.)

We were so fortunate to have our Dr. Garbutt, in RI at the time, as her saving grace for those last years.

He said she wasn't suffering, her appetite, skin and coat and bloodwork were fine and she did very well until around the last 3 months or so. When the time came, our daughters had a good understanding of the care and compassion necessary when you have a terminal pet. The vet and his family moved away a few years after that with his passel of kids and pets ..., he was just wonderful.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM

Dear QC, what a wonderful story and amazing vet! I am honestly thinking that the cancer has professed to far. I have another back up vet so I will also check with him also what he thinks. I don’t want to drive Gambo anywhere at this point as it would be way to much stress. But, for our next pet / cat, we should look into maybe a more modern vet!!!

THANKS for all your amazing comments. I am waiting at a doctor now (for me) and can’t wait to see how little stinker is doing this afternoon.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Dear QC, what a wonderful story and amazing vet! I am honestly thinking that the cancer has professed to far. I have another back up vet so I will also check with him also what he thinks. I don’t want to drive Gambo anywhere at this point as it would be way to much stress. But, for our next pet / cat, we should look into maybe a more modern vet!!!

THANKS for all your amazing comments. I am waiting at a doctor now (for me) and can’t wait to see how little stinker is doing this afternoon.
Sending healing thoughts.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:13 PM

He is now on a daily dosis. And I got pain medication (just in case). I feel like I am very well “prepared” now. Unfortunately I am leaving the country for work next weekend. This makes me nervous. My husband is watching him, and I hope Gambo stays in good spirits till my return. Today he looks very good: he greeted me at the door, followed me around, even talked and ate all his food. I need everyone to cross his fingers and oaws, that Gambo stays happy and painless while I am gone.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:56 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Thanks for the update. Glad Gambo is feeling good on his increased meds. What's the pain med? I ask because if it's buprenorphine you need to know that it is absorbed in the mouth, not put down the throat. You aim the syringe under the tongue toward the gum.

How awful for you all that you have to be away just now. I hope you don't have to be away too long. Is Gambo used to you going away for periods of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats