Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 05:07 PM

136 posts, read 211,095 times

Advertisements

I wanted to send my son an electric blanket for his birthday because he just moved to the Midwest after living in Florida for the past few years. He lives alone except for 2 indoor cats also from Florida. I don't know much about electric blankets but I imagine he may want to leave it on for those cats so I figure it should have multiple settings and automatic shut off. I need some advice from people who have cats as to how to keep them safe and how to keep the blanket from not being destroyed right away. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Personally I would not leave an electric blanket on when not in the house and keep it under a thick comforter to keep the whiskered friends from accidentally ripping it and exposing wire.

For the cats - please check into self heating pads. Basically cat beds with some reflective material. They are popular at our house and inexpensive. Chewy's has them for under $15.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
I wanted to send my son an electric blanket for his birthday because he just moved to the Midwest after living in Florida for the past few years. He lives alone except for 2 indoor cats also from Florida. I don't know much about electric blankets but I imagine he may want to leave it on for those cats so I figure it should have multiple settings and automatic shut off. I need some advice from people who have cats as to how to keep them safe and how to keep the blanket from not being destroyed right away. Thank you.

The answer is very simple: NO, NEVER, NO

Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I have to agree to not leaving the blanket on when you are not around. I use an electric blanket and it is shielded by the sheet on the bottom and a comforter on top - kitties do not come into direct contact with the blanket. When the cats sleep on top of the bed, they may get a little radiant heat. I also have a 'catbed' (it is a cushy pillow-like contraption with the heating source embedded in it) heater for my 18-year old that I plug in for her at night.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:40 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Personally I would not leave an electric blanket on when not in the house and keep it under a thick comforter to keep the whiskered friends from accidentally ripping it and exposing wire.

For the cats - please check into self heating pads. Basically cat beds with some reflective material. They are popular at our house and inexpensive. Chewy's has them for under $15.

^^ this

You can buy self warming beds, make your own (I've been making them for years), or buy a reflective camp blanket, and cut to size to fit under existing beds. I do that too, for their cardboard box beds.

These are what I use for the lining in the beds (and cut up to put under their cardboard boxes, in winter)
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0007RSGQ6/ref=dp_cerb_2

Here are my two cats enjoying two of their self warming beds out on the porch on a chilly but sunny day.
Attached Thumbnails
Cats + electric blanket-dsc05647.jpg  

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-09-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 07:57 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
I agree with everyone else in saying to NOT leave a blanket on that's unattended. You can buy heated cat beds that activate only when the cat sits on it. We have one and it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats