Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,206 times

Advertisements

years ago I know electric blankets were said to cause cancer, and fires....lol. Since then I am sure they are better can anyone recommend one to me? I think I haven't bought one because I like the weight on me, and with the electric blanket it is so light. Anyone have one they like? If so, where did you get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 PM

160 posts, read 775,242 times
You know whats better than an electric blanket.... and electric mattress pad!!! Those things are great and keep you so so warm. I got one at JCPenney 3 years ago and we use it every winter.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Ditto on that. I also bought an electric mattress pad from JCPenney.

Electric mattress pads operate at lower temperatures, are built to withstand tossing and turning, and can handle multiple layers of bedding on top of them. Which is great if you like to lie on your bed, or in your case, like the weight of comforters and blankets.

In the winter on my bed, we've got the electric mattress pad, flannel sheets, a wool blanket, and a down comforter!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I vote for the mattress pad too. We love ours. I turn it on high about 1/2 hr before bed then turn it off when I go to bed.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Ive never had either of those but thermal blankets work wonders in cold weather.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:20 AM

65 posts, read 211,504 times
Default question for mattress pad users

I bought an electric mattress pad and used it for the first time last night......Mine took about an hour/and a half to heat up, is this normal? Also I noticed the coils were kinda bothering me last night. What did you guys do about that......Guess my sheets are not thick enough, that I don't feel them. I had the idea of putting my old mattress pad on top of the electric one then put my sheets on. Wondering if that would help some. Any suggestions? and is my pad working right when it takes so long to heat up?
Wow, how toasty it was, I ended up turning it down about halfway during the night. I wonder how that would feel with an electric blanket....wooohooo!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Remember seeing an ad just a couple of days ago for a 3 zone elec. blanket. Don't remember where or who. But you could set different temp's for your neck/shoulder area, back/upper leg area, and your lower leg/feet area. Thought that was kindda neat.
I do like the sound of the pad though.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM

537 posts, read 1,768,450 times
I also like the weight on me... it's like a giant full-body hug! :-)

Our last electric blanket I really liked... I think it was a Sunbeam. It had a "pre-heat" feature that I really loved. You could set the temp (I think it was a 1-20 scale) for the temp that you're comfortable sleeping at. But, before you climbed in the bed, you could turn it on using the Pre-Heat button. It would set the temp at 20 for a 10 minutes (or so) then it would drop back down to your pre-set sleeping temp.

I either couldn't find another one, or I was being too cheap when I bought our current one... no pre-heat. :-(

And I think they ALL have an automatic 10-hour shut off now. So that's nice too.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,303 times
I just wrote the company about mine, I purchased a biddeford and it is not that warm on the highest temp and then only heats at the bottom. I wrote them a letter, we will see what happens there is a warranty on it and it is only about 1month old. Guess I should have gotten one from JCPenney ha? But I went with this one because it was cheaper. Anyone have one besides JCPenney that they really like? It was like 80.00 if I remember right for one at Penneys.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ditto on that. I also bought an electric mattress pad from JCPenney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfountaingrl View Post
You know whats better than an electric blanket.... and electric mattress pad!!! Those things are great and keep you so so warm. I got one at JCPenney 3 years ago and we use it every winter.
I just want to thank you both very much. I was thinking about posting about where to get the best kind of electric blanket for my mother, who's heater broke, and I saw these posts.

So, I'm off to JcPenney's to get her an electric mattress pad. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products