Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

I am shopping for a new range and am thinking to replace my gas range with a smooth top electric. Does anyone know which is more economical to use? I like the electric because it seems that it will be a lot easier to clean up after cooking. Any thoughts?

Maria from New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
I HATE electric stoves! they seem to take forever to eat up and cook unevenly. not sure which is more economical, but, IMHO, gas cooks better (there's a reason why you never see electric stoves in restaurants)

Old 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Gas is typically cheaper, but it really depends on what your utilities charge per unit of energy and the consumption levels of the appliances in question. If you can get all that information, the math should be pretty simple to figure. Your per unit cost of energy will be on your bills - the harder part will be whether or not you can get the data for the stoves.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardew View Post
I am shopping for a new range and am thinking to replace my gas range with a smooth top electric. Does anyone know which is more economical to use? I like the electric because it seems that it will be a lot easier to clean up after cooking. Any thoughts?

Maria from New Jersey
oh those smooth top electrics are murder to clean--hate em!!!!!!! Actually I got so fed up with the clean up (even w/out a spill there is clean-up) so my hubby took over the task. he fussed and grumbled about how hard it was to clean. You also have to buy that special cleaner for them. SO not worth it.
I would rather cook on a hot plate
Tried the electric smooth top and got rid of it with the quickness; am loving my gas stove AND gas dryer. My gas bill runs around $28.00 per month

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
We’ve got an electric smooth top. I HATE it. I’ll go gas anytime but we can’t get natural gas in my neighborhood. I want to buy a new electric coil stove and get this smooth top out of the kitchen. The cleaning if some food gets on the right spot is so difficult to remove and clean up.

The bigger problem I’ve got is the time it takes to heat a burner area up and then cool down. I can’t tell you how many times things boil over because the control is set too high trying to get heat to the pot or pan.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
I'll take gas any day of the week...it is cheaper to operate but even if it wasn't I'd still take gas...

Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 AM

13 posts, read 48,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardew View Post

Maria from New Jersey
I think the Gas is more economical

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
You'll never see a chef at eateries use electric...it's gas all the way.

Even laundrymats use gas dryers.

But as far as dollar cost averaging- it's electric that's the better buy- longterm. But it could be according to where you live- this is why-

-if you have 'all electric' appliances many utility companies have a nonadvertised discounted electric rate so overall you'll save on your utility bill every month. My electric bill is around $60 w/ teenagers (meaning xbox/computers/laundry going all the time and I cook every day)
-the purchase price itself- electric is less expensive
-installation-electric is less expensive

Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
e have had both and how have a smooth top whcih we love. Its very easy to clean compared to toehr slewctric ot gas;infact to clean like new. We have had it tewn years and espaecailly like it when you need high heat looking that residentail gas can't do like commercial stoves chefs use.The look alike are not teh sameas commercial as they require a extinguishing system to use that is expensive. Oce we got use to elctric we love it./clean.oven much better ,and certainly safer.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
We only have electricity here, so gas is not an option unless it's propane.

But, if I were doing high speed, high production, commercial cooking, and I had a crew to clean up after me, I would choose gas.

For my own kitchen, I will never again use anything except a smooth top electric range.

It cooks cleaner than gas, and is much easier to maintain, especially after a spill or boil over, and allows for a more relaxed and controlled working pace.

A 400 degree burner is 400 degrees, regardless of whether the heat source is gas or electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products