Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 12:01 PM

134 posts, read 119,578 times

Advertisements

A friend needs to part with his two adult four year old male cats. Each has been neutered, are up to date on shots, and are not sick. He's not having much luck so far with anyone interested. How would you advertise this or what options would you use? He's online as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 12:22 PM

11,291 posts, read 19,641,386 times
I would not advertise cats on line. People use these sources for many evil things to do with cats. If he can't care for them any longer he should take them to a reputable rescue. Be prepared to pay a fee. They will care for the cats and ensure the homes are safe and good.

Perhaps we can help him keep his cats? What's the problem?

Old 11-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Well, I just asked the wife. She says she can't stop them from peeing on everything. She says she's tried "buying more litter boxes, taking them to vet, putting them on OCD medicine.... thinks it's only the one cat peeing.... the other one might be marking after he smells the other cat pee."

I wasn't aware that she still had the urination issues with the one. She also has three children with the oldest being ten, so doesn't have time to pursue the issues.

Unfortunately, I can't help her as I haven't owned a pet, other than a fish, in over 40 years.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:52 PM

It probably isn't difficult to figure out how to help the cat. But since she doesn't want to make the time to do it, someone else will have to. Another reason to not dump these cats via the internet. I can see their point of view, regarding managing this type of health issue, but please do urge them NOT to get rid of the cats that way.

A cat with a problem like this needs help, and understanding, care and love. Not the first home who will take her, then dump her in the street when they discover her problem. Or abuse her. (or many things much much worse)

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't help her as I haven't owned a pet, other than a fish, in over 40 years.
Now is your chance! Perhaps it is time for you to learn the joy of living with cats? A quiet home like yours sounds just right for these cats!

The female cat is mostly likely suffering from stress induced cystitis. This is something that can't be tested for, because it's caused by inflammation in the bladder and urinary tract brought on by stress. There are many ways to manage this condition in a cat, but I do think your friend's home, with three children under ten, is not an ideal home for her.

Are the two cats bonded and must be kept together?

Are they "declawed"?

What is their diet?

Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 PM

No thanks. The last cat I had over 40 years ago, when I was a kid, didn't end in a happy departing. He almost took out my eye and was very mean. The fish I had was minimal maintenance. Anyway, to answer questions:

She says that they can be separated.
They are not declawed.
They have stomach sensitive food as diet.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Is it a dry diet? Which is the worst thing you can feed a cat, especially one with urinary tract problems.

Their best bet is to surrender them to a reputable shelter or rescue with a donation towards their care. They need to be honest about the female's history because she will need special care and consideration.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:30 PM

She has given them both wet and dry depending on whether or not they were having urinary issues.

She said earlier that if no one takes them, she'd rather keep them than return them to the rescue, which is where she got them originally. So I guess that solves the problem.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:28 AM

Then she should keep them on a wet only diet. All the time. Dry kibble causes urinary tract problems and many other health issues as well. When at all possible the canned should be low carb. Carbohydrates (all kibble is high in carbs) cause the pH to rise, creating more urinary tract problems. Meat is naturally acidifying, it is what a cat was meant to eat. And cats need their moisture to come from their diet.

Ensure there are places the cats can go to get away from the children. Elevated places in the general living area, shelves on the wall or a sturdy cat tree, for example. A quiet room where they can go for peace and quiet, where there are no children allowed. Keep the litter boxes in quiet low traffic areas and keep them clean.

There are supplements that can help, Rescue Remedy is effective for many cats at helping reduce stress. D-mannose can help with urinary tract discomfort. Corn silk is also good for the urinary tract.

The wet low carb diet is absolutely essential.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:14 AM

catsmom21, thank you, passed this info on to her today. Hopefully, it will aid in getting urinary issues under control.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 AM

6,175 posts, read 4,561,188 times
You could try taking one of them. Cats are territorial and if they started out together unfettered, then they may be continuing behaviors out of habit. Separating them might end any territorial marking. If you tried for a week while sorting out diet issues, you could see if that's part of the problem.

Diet stuff Catsmom21 is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats