Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 04:23 PM

46 posts, read 37,156 times

Advertisements

Considering staying in a living room.
I am tall so need a twin xl bed.
Long length single bed.
But there is a cat. Without using a tall flimsy bunk bed; how could I prevent cat from jumping on me when I sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 PM

6,401 posts, read 4,880,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesouthwell View Post
Considering staying in a living room.
I am tall so need a twin xl bed.
Long length single bed.
But there is a cat. Without using a tall flimsy bunk bed; how could I prevent cat from jumping on me when I sleep.
1. Lock it in another room?
2. Set it "free"?

Old 12-17-2019, 04:59 PM

11,312 posts, read 19,708,330 times
Okay this isn't very clear and I don't see what size bed has to do with anything. A bunk bed would not prevent the cat from sleeping with you if she or he wanted to sleep with you.

So is this the story?...

You are staying as a guest in someone else's home, they've set up a bed for you in their living room and they have a cat?

Sleeping with a cat is a nice thing in my opinion but if you don't want to risk it can you ask your hosts to keep the cat in another part of the house overnight?

Just be aware that many cat owners may say: it's the cat's house so cat has the right to go where she wants.

On the other hand not all cats like strange people (mine would not sleep with a stranger) so there may be no problem at all for you.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:44 PM

17,241 posts, read 57,265,949 times
My cats generally don't hop *on* me, they jump up on the bed next to me. The area on the back side of my knees (I sleep on my side) seems to be most popular.

My wife says I sleep better when the cat is there, than when the cat is elsewhere. I guess she would know.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:47 PM

I would stay and pay rent for a long time. But I cant sleep if a cat will jump on me and wake me. I am also allergic if touching cat; not if cat is near.

I am looking for a protection barrier. Like a fence.

New York city apartment. Not a large house where cat can go to another space.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:03 PM

5,617 posts, read 6,565,405 times
Well, this decision is on you, not on the cat or the cat's owner. It is the cat's home, you will be a long-term "guest". If you are allergic to having a cat touch you, then perhaps this is not the place for you to stay/live.

A fence in the LR? Would the owner even entertain this idea?

I think this is a bad idea if you, the guest, is having issues with the owner's resident cat.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I would stay and pay rent for a long time. But I cant sleep if a cat will jump on me and wake me. I am also allergic if touching cat; not if cat is near.

I am looking for a protection barrier. Like a fence.

New York city apartment. Not a large house where cat can go to another space.
I think you will have to either wait and see if the cat decides to join you in the bed or find other accommodations.

The cat dander will be all through the house so if you are allergic to the cat, you will be allergenic in the house whether she jumps on you or not.

It sounds a bit like you might have a slight fear of cats? This is not unusual, you know, and nothing to be ashamed of. If you've never lived with a cat before, especially.

Can this be a trial? You may find once you get to know the cat, that you like her. Or she may simply ignore you. She may never "jump on you" at all.

But I really can't see any way for you to wall yourself off from the cat short of building some kind of frame to put over yourself (chicken wire and PVC? Chicken wire may be too flexible. Hardware cloth?) while you sleep. But be aware that the cat may be very curious about that and try climb it and get into it. Cats don't like being prevented from getting where they want to be.

Go on, give it a try, just you in the bed, no fence, and see what happens. You might make a new friend.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:35 AM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Club-Hous...22227018935525

But this tent is 50 inches. Need 80 inches.

Chicken wire is a good suggestion but it may hurt cat.

Could you please send me a picture/link of hardware cloth?

Old 12-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Club-Hous...22227018935525

But this tent is 50 inches. Need 80 inches.

Chicken wire is a good suggestion but it may hurt cat.

Could you please send me a picture/link of hardware cloth?

It is not easy to work with, just so you know. Very stiff and sharp edges. You will need special cutting shears and special fasteners (or tie downs) and of course the frame work. And where will you put this contraption during the day time? Really I think you are making far too much of this. Why not just see how things go first.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Zone-I...78273169&psc=1

Old 12-18-2019, 08:35 AM

30,742 posts, read 16,379,692 times
if you must stay there, get a tent for yourself and put the bed or maybe mattress in it.

Cat gets run of the rest of his space, you get a good nights sleep.

win win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats