Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:05 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

So if his blood test results are showing kidney disease, then it's already pretty advanced and we know that. So why do more advanced tests to establish the same thing??? I think, again, people - vets and owners alike - get caught up in what we CAN do and lose sight of what we SHOULD do or what is actually necessary or helpful to do. I liken it to buying an upgraded new phone every time one comes out, which I also don't do. If this test doesn't benefit my cat, if this just causes him stress and costs me money, I don't see the point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
So you just really don't want to spend any money, is that it?

Old 12-06-2020, 11:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
So you just really don't want to spend any money, is that it?
No, that's not it (I've already spent a fortune on my pets). But thanks!

Old 12-06-2020, 03:34 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So if his blood test results are showing kidney disease, then it's already pretty advanced and we know that. So why do more advanced tests to establish the same thing??? I think, again, people - vets and owners alike - get caught up in what we CAN do and lose sight of what we SHOULD do or what is actually necessary or helpful to do. I liken it to buying an upgraded new phone every time one comes out, which I also don't do. If this test doesn't benefit my cat, if this just causes him stress and costs me money, I don't see the point!

I'm not sure why you keep making an issue of this. No one is telling you you should do this, a member simply made a contribution to the thread, sharing what she would do. As I've said before I fully support your decision to not put him through further stuff, and would do the same, with the exception I would insist on pain meds from the vet. I know you feel he is doing okay, but he could be doing even better, on gabapentin. I speak from experience.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:03 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
No, that's not it (I've already spent a fortune on my pets). But thanks!
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound bad. It's just that you've had a lot of advice and sometimes (like in my Gypsy's case) there's just no real "answer" as to what the right thing to do is. You have to do the best you can and hope it's right.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:22 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Quote:
Have to agree. Both of my cats are 17 - that's old. One has had a chronic issue since a kitten. Back to the vet this week with fluids and an antibiotic. He's much better now. The vet doesn't think even blood work is needed. She agrees with me, as long as he is active for his age, eats, drinks and his litter box use is normal and he's in no pain that's it. Its not like at his age, we are going to start trying new things to which he has to adjust. (On the other hand, I do cut him some slack. He can eat whatever he wants and while I use to forbid him getting up on the kitchen counter to drink from the bowels soaking in the kitchen sink, I want him to get as much fluids as he can, so he can get up there all he wants.)

On a related note, when I got them, I started to put aside $ every month into "their" savings account. When the money is gone, no more treatments. Vet care can be expensive and having a budget and knowing how deep the resources go, reduces stress.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:09 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
A second opinion at another vet might be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats